Do you use sync software and if so, which one?

Discussion in 'Backup, Sync and Encryption' started by BoraMurdar, Aug 10, 2016.

1. kamla5abi

kamla5abi Level 4

May 15, 2017
    Canada
    Windows 10
    BitDefender
    Could you please give more details on how you do this? How do you deny write access to backup location (128gb USB drive in my case) except for the backup software?

What I do currently is very old school, just copy/paste different folders to my USB drive (documents, music, photos are only folders on my laptop where I store my personal files), rest of SSD is only windows or installed software files, so if anything gets infected or encrypted, then I just have to reinstall Windows and my software. After my backup operation (copy paste :p ) I disconnect my USB drive every time.

I will try the software @BoraMurdar linked to in OP as all I care about really is the files, rest is only software I can install manually when disaster hits.

I read about free Veeam endpoint backup software too. Have not tried it yet though, but Google results say Veeam software is very good free software.

AtlBo likes this.
  2. Lockdown

Lockdown From AppGuard
    Developer

Oct 24, 2016
    AppGuard LLC Virginia, U.S.
    You can try something Secure Folders (free abandonware), software restriction policy with protected folders (AppGuard), or the free BiniSoft USBFlashDrive Control (can set Read, Write and Execute permissions for USB. Just change policy to what you need, then disconnect\reconnect USB and new policy is enabled.)

With what you are doing (using an external USB flash drive), BiniSoft USBFlashDrive Control is perfect. And it is free.

3. ng4ever

ng4ever Level 8

Feb 11, 2016
    US
  4. bobby holla

bobby holla Level 2

Oct 30, 2014
    Oakdale, California US
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    I would recommend GoodSync over every other Sync software. it is the best you can ever get and it has a portable version which i love best.

frogboy likes this.
  5. LASER_oneXM

LASER_oneXM Level 18
    Content Creator

Feb 4, 2016
    university/IT
    Germany / Poland
    Windows 8.1
    Kaspersky
    im frequently using sync software to synchronize my internal drives (hdd, ssd)
    with my external backup drives ("one way synchronization"). im using this tool: "freefilesync"

frogboy likes this.
  6. Yoda

Yoda Level 3

Jul 26, 2017
    Greece
    Windows 7
    Avira
    I am using FreeFileSync to sync my data (Only Data) with an external HDD with Mirror option.

7. Vivek J. Mundkur

Aug 7, 2017
    IT - Software and Networks
    India
    Windows 10
    Norton
    I use Pipemetrics' Bvckup for data mirroring on local hard disks, Siber Systems' Goodsync for syncing with the NAS and Scooter Software's Beyond Compare for file/folder comparisons.

All are excellent tools but if I have to choose a favourite it would be Bvckup. Beyond Compare and Goodsync are next in that order.