Do you use sync software and if so, which one?

Discussion in 'Backup, Sync and Encryption' started by BoraMurdar, Aug 10, 2016.

1. BoraMurdar

BoraMurdar Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Doctor of medicine
    Serbia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    In the times of ransomware, the best protection is actually prevention. Many malware will try to mess up with your files nowadays so, at least you can do, is to keep a healthy backup copies of your important files and store them offline...disconnected from the internet and your main operating device.

Of course, doing so properly can take a lot of time but with help of synchronization software the time reduces to minimum. In my case, I am using Windows 10 Pro with it's default security products build in > Windows Defender (registry tweaked to detect PUPs), Windows Firewall, Windows Smart Screen, backed up with Zemana AntiMalware for just in case.

But if I ever make a mistake, my OS can be restored from a backup in less than 5min (5GB system image file combined with the speed of my SSD). Other files like music, pictures, documents I store on my external HDD.

Back to the topic, I am using FreeFileSync 8.3 portable edition for making a copies of my important files. http://www.freefilesync.org/download/FreeFileSync_8.3_Windows_Setup.exe . When installing it make sure you opt out the unneeded software as it turns out that :

So, what are the benefits of using synchronization software?
    Without it, you would need to manually check what differs Folder A (stored on your machine) from Folder A' (stored on external HDD or USB device). Of course, you can just copy the whole folder from point A-->A' but it could take unneeded time and writes to your HDD (or SSD), especially if folder contains a lot of files and its big in size.

FreeFileSync determines changes in two points (at least). If you have folder named "Photos" on your machine, and the same named folder on other location, it can compare what difference between those two folders are. I use the default algorithm in which program compares the changes in files sizes and file modification times. So if you went with your friends on some party, and took 20 photos, stored them in your Photos folder on your laptop, connect external HDD, turn on FreeFileSync and compare, it will show only new files on the left side that needs to be copied on the right side. And it will not touch any other file as the size and modification times didn't change. There are other comparison algorithms like to check files byte by byte (by content), but it's a lot slower, although it is the most accurate.

Capture.PNG

In the picture above it is shown that the program will compare 3 sets of folders and when you click synchronize (mirror), it will make an exact copy from point A to point A'. In this case from folders stored on my D partition to folders stored on my external HDD marked as F partition.

There are other ways to synchronize folders, like "Two-Way-Sync" where the program will propagate changes in both directions ; "Update" (recommended) where the program will only copy and update the new files from left-right direction and if happens that something has changed on folder stored on your external HDD without existing on your machine, it will not touch those files.

Other program that I found useful is DSynchronize
    http://dimio.altervista.org/stats/download.php?id=3

Capture22.PNG

Portable program that weights just as 427KB but very powerful for it's size. It can do the same stuff as his bigger and paid brother can. Mark the checkboxes that suit your needs and you're good to go.

Do you use a Synchronization software and if so which one?

Thank you for reading :)

2. frogboy

frogboy Level 61
    Trusted

Jun 9, 2013
    Heavy Duty Mechanic.
    Western Australia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Nope i just do the good old fashioned backups they have served me well so far and i think it is all i need to keep me up and running. Tried,true and trusted for me. :)

SHvFl, ispx, Deletedmessiah and 8 others like this.
  3. technology

technology Level 6

Jul 5, 2013
  4. Logethica

Logethica Level 12

Jun 24, 2016
    UK
    Windows 10
    Excellent post @BoraMurdar ...
    I don't really have anything to Sync.
    I only have a few files & pictures on my laptop ,and I copy those straight to a USB.
    I really enjoy the process of resetting my system and rebuilding it,and it doesn't take very long as I have had a lot of practice.
    I will do this again after I am happy that M$ has patched its botched AU (& all my desired softs have done the same)...
    So my complete reset/Installation of the AU looks like it will be in about 7-10 days time.

5. Yash Khan

Yash Khan Level 51

Oct 22, 2012
    I have a separate partition on the system for my data & I mirror my data on the external HDD with FreeFileSync Portable.

SHvFl, Deletedmessiah, AtlBo and 4 others like this.
  6. Pearl96

Pearl96 Level 5

Jan 14, 2017
    Student
    Palestine
    Windows 10
    I copy my data to My Transcend External 500 GB drive. Also I upload them to my Pro Mediafire account

SHvFl, ispx, Deletedmessiah and 3 others like this.
  7. amir 957

amir 957 Level 4

Jan 9, 2017
    Iran
    Windows 10
    ESET
    I backup my data and then upload the bacup file in OneDrive

SHvFl, Deletedmessiah, AtlBo and 3 others like this.
  8. shmu26

shmu26 Level 53

Jul 3, 2015
    Utopia
    There is a little program called Boxifier, it keeps the folder of your choice in constant sync with your Dropbox folder. Then, the Dropbox desktop app syncs it to the cloud.
    If you want more than one folder to sync, you need the paid version.

9. Sr. Normal 2.0

Sr. Normal 2.0 Level 5
    Trusted

Sep 14, 2016
    Talavera, España
    Windows 10
    Norton
    Auslogics Bitreplica to an external drive and Mega in the cloud. No, no, I'm not a paranoid guy :oops::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. military

military Level 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Russian Federation
    Windows 10
    Microsoft
    Just there was a big updating. It will be possible to you interesting.
    FreeFileSync 9.1
    Download: FreeFileSync

SHvFl, Deletedmessiah and AtlBo like this.
  11. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Level 52
    Trusted

Aug 2, 2015
    Retired
    Central US
    Linux Mint
    Default-Deny
    I noticed this yesterday, but I have not pulled the trigger yet:
    Buy GoodSync

12. WinXPert

WinXPert Level 23
    Trusted AV Tester

Jan 9, 2013
    Graphic Artist
    Manila
    Windows 7
    Emsisoft
    I'm oldskul. Directory Toolkit
    Untitled.jpg

SHvFl, ttto, Deletedmessiah and 6 others like this.
  13. BoraMurdar

BoraMurdar Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2012
    Doctor of medicine
    Serbia
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Sure :) But IMO there are already good free alternatives.

AtlBo, Andytay70, SHvFl and 6 others like this.
  14. ttto

ttto Level 7

Sep 22, 2016
    Chemist
    Spain
    macOS Sierra
    Norton
    in windows, onedrive, and in mac, Google drive. I also have time machine backup in my Samsung m3 external hdd drive

AtlBo, SHvFl and military like this.
  15. Glashouse

Glashouse Level 4

Jun 4, 2017
    Germany
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
  16. Andytay70

Andytay70 Level 13

Jul 6, 2015
    Electricial engineer
    UK
    Windows 10
    Avast
    Been using microsoft synctoy for a few years now, Pretty basic but does the job!

17. ispx

ispx Level 13

Jun 21, 2017
    not reachable
    system requirements do not say windows 10 but it installed ok on 10. am definitely gonna give this a shot. thanks andy :)

AtlBo and Andytay70 like this.
  18. David Hennery

David Hennery Level 1

Jul 18, 2017
    Melbourne, Australia
    mac OS X
    Kaspersky
    have always used ifunbox for my iphone sync to PC or Mac

Andytay70 and AtlBo like this.
  19. broughie

broughie Level 2

Sep 11, 2013
    I had backup program fail me years ago & lost many files, ever since used MS Synctoy , has five sync type options is simple & fast. Twice restored all my thousands of photos/ files to new pc's without problem.

Andytay70 and AtlBo like this.
  20. Lockdown

Lockdown From AppGuard
    Developer

Oct 24, 2016
    AppGuard LLC Virginia, U.S.
    It is recommended to have deny write access to sync folders except for only those programs which need access - like office productivity suite programs, video players, etc. Otherwise if your system gets smacked by ransomware and the sync folder gets encrypted, the encrypted files can be synced too and overwrite the good versions. You need to have file or backup version recovery to get out of that one.

You could just manually connect\disconnect an external backup target drive to avoid it as well. There are multiple strategies to prevent encrypted synced folders from wreaking havoc.