Advice Request Does Android device need Antivirus app?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Does Android device need Antivirus app?

• Yes

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 28 41.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
It depends on your habits... if you only install apps from the Store and just visit well-known website, you don't really need an AV. Otherwise, better to use it.
I'm currently using Sophos and I can recommend it. It also has a reputation service to check every app you donwload from the Store, plus it can check apk before you install it. And the webfilter works really well, with many supported browsers.
And most important, it's free with no ads ;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's a sad fact that Humans are unreliable when it comes to maintaining a decent level of security, so even Play Protect cannot protect the most idiot users.

If you want a Free AV, I recommend Bitdefender Free Antivirus. It's cloud-based, has a miniscule footprint and is free without registration.

Based on the assumption of this particular question, you either have doubts about Android, or your own habits.

Hello everyone, I wanted to know if it really is necessary to use antivirus on the Android phone, and what name would have good protection and not spend a lot of battery?

My phone is a Moto G5S Plus.
Please search the forums before posting to avoid duplicating topics.

@Mariihh
This topic has already been discussed in some depth:
Q&A - Does Android device need Antivirus app?
Thanks for the reminder. Threads merged.

Reactions: harlan4096

vinylmeister

Level 2
Verified
Jan 29, 2015
Thank you all for your attention. Does anyone know if this version of G Data Free for Android really is true? Because the site does not say that it has a version free: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.gdata.mobilesecurity&hl=en_EN

Well, just read the description of the app. It is a trial version.

"And the best thing is that you can use this app to try out the full version of G Data Internet Security for Android for a full 30 days, free of charge and with no obligation! Enjoy using the many additional features such as comprehensive parental controls for protecting your children when surfing, playing games and learning on the Android smartphone or tablet. "

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
It depends on your habits... if you only install apps from the Store and just visit well-known website, you don't really need an AV. Otherwise, better to use it.
I'm currently using Sophos and I can recommend it. It also has a reputation service to check every app you donwload from the Store, plus it can check apk before you install it. And the webfilter works really well, with many supported browsers.
And most important, it's free with no ads ;)

I have Sophos on both my wife's and my own phone for precisely the reasons you stated. (y)

Reactions: Weebarra and imuade

mike6688

Level 2
Verified
Sep 27, 2017
I use Sophos on my S9. Mainly for URL filtering and WiFi security but the reputation scanner and privacy advisor is useful also.

Reactions: Weebarra
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.