• Yes

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

Lindows

Thread author
Aug 19, 2011
Just bought a new android phone, Sony Ericsson xperia w8...

Do i need a security app like android antivirus? or just use the phone as it is...

This question is not just for me to all everybody else also....

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
No.

Normally I don't say to rely on Common sense but in this case it's enough. Phones don't have the resources for bulky AV's and the Android OS is fairly secure (Sandboxing and the Java VM) it's just socially engineered malware to look out for.

Only download applications that have "high reputation" ie: lots of downloads and lots of good comments. Check what the application has access to (it says so before you download) and ask yourself "Why does this application need so many rights?" if it's suspicious.

Android is secure. It's just dangerous because Google's being incredibly thick about their market place regulations.

Lindows

Thread author
Aug 19, 2011
Thanks for the reply........

Just curious that there are so many free apps in the android market.... Also there are free anti viruses in the android market.........

It is estimated that more than 500 pieces of malware are roaming in the android OS, so thought of putting an antiviruses.... But the only proble is that it reduces the battery life..........!:s

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Can you refrain yourself from installing shady and unknown apps ?
Can you review the permissions an app is asking for before allowing them?
Can you verify the app’s publisher before installing it ?
Can you take your time and read the reviews for the app you want to install?

If the answer is 'Yes' then you most likely you don't need an antivirus....but If you are one of those guys who like to do it and then read about it ...then here are a few suggestions :

At this point in time cybercriminals are using trojanized applications in order to infect the Android OS. They typically find a popular app, modify it to include their malicious payload, and then re-upload it to the Android market where it poses innocuously as the original. Once a confused user downloads the infected app, his or her Android device is ready to share all sorts of juicy details with the cybercriminals.
Recently Mobile Threat reported that android malware affects from 500,000 to 1 million smartphone users..so if you don't have common sense , please install a security app.

D

Deleted member 178

which one is light and efficient and dont consume the battery

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yes, don't forget anti-theft software.

http://preyproject.com/

swftech

Jun 20, 2011
My girfriend has Lookout installed and it seems like a pretty solid product...Lookout Mobile Security

Or this appears to be what the US Guberment uses on their Mobile devices.. http://youtu.be/KFt7-9df4mA

Just throwing a couple more choices out there for you.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
I've tried the free version of DrWeb on my andoid phone. I only have a 600MHz CPU and 200mb ram and didn't notice any slowdowns, and the battery life hasn't been affected much.

Lindows

Thread author
Aug 19, 2011
Avast for android is coming soon........!

Dont forget to vote the poll....... I want your opinion.....

Yes or No....

D

Deleted member 178

i dont have an android phone, so i dont have to worry, but my gf has one but she install only very known apps. so i dont worry too :D

I

illumination

umbrapolaris said:
i dont have an android phone, so i dont have to worry, but my gf has one but she install only very known apps. so i dont worry too :D

I am the same, as in i don't own one.. But, in today's day and age, just about everything has vulnerabilities, The money involved in malware is just extreme, and the malware is getting more sophisticated as it goes.. Me personally, I would deal with the "slow down" of resources to maintain security.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
The AVG antivirus also looks good and it's free : http://www.avg.com/us-en/antivirus-for-android

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
as you know. nowadays in the world never be safe from hackers or whatever like that. unlike many many years ago. safe , probably little infection on system, but now?
it make system locked such as; "ransom" that's in my opinion.
MAC OSX few years ago. can' getting viruses but now it can get. probably in next year linux OS will have vulnerable to get virus. :)

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
Do i need a security app like android antivirus?
short answer: No!
long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Your battery will hate you for installing a security app.
just disable installation from unknown sources, stay away from the "just in" list in the marked, don't install anything that doesn't come recommended and your golden!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.