Advice Request Does Any Of You Use Driver Updaters/Software?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

FireHammer

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
Hello Geeks & Not-Geeks, do you ever use Driver Updaters as they are or for reference on your Windows 7/8/8.1/10?.
I use Driver Booster from IObit, the only drivers I dont get this way are the ones from Microsoft & Graphic Drivers. :) :unsure:

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

I normally tend to update all drivers, but via their official methods. For example Windows drivers will be updated via Windows Update, Intel drivers have their own updater, NVidia drivers through their experience package, etc.

Keeping drivers up-to-date is essential for trouble-free computing in my opinion, but I don’t think driver updaters are reliable enough.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Sometimes I run DriverEasy or UCheck out of curiosity. If these apps show anything of merit, I go to the website and investigate. This usually involves Intel. Since I frequent several tech sites, I grab just the NVIDIA driver when it's announced there's a new one.

I've installed all the optional drivers in Windows Update, including the mysterious Intel one with a driver date of 1968 (hey, if you leave candy on the table, I'm going to take it). Somehow, my machine survived that one just fine.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Hello Geeks & Not-Geeks, do you ever use Driver Updaters as they are or for reference on your Windows 7/8/8.1/10?.
I use Driver Booster from IObit, the only drivers I dont get this way are the ones from Microsoft & Graphic Drivers. :) :unsure:
I also like to mention that it is recommended not to update the BIOS if everything is OK.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I use DriverEasy to check for updates, then download them from Microsoft Update Catalog or Softpedia Drivers. MS does not care much about drivers, Windows 20H2 still uses Realtek LAN driver from 2015 by default, the latest version fixes security vulnerabilities along with other issues, like a slow network speed, it gave a serious grief to some people. Windows Update likes to offer incorrect drivers, breaking the sound or video, you are better off with Iobit driver updater, that is actually pretty sad. At least MS no longer forces driver updates.

Attachments

• capture_01132021_231621.jpg
    capture_01132021_231621.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 237

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Sometimes I run DriverEasy or UCheck out of curiosity. If these apps show anything of merit, I go to the website and investigate. This usually involves Intel. Since I frequent several tech sites, I grab just the NVIDIA driver when it's announced there's a new one.

I've installed all the optional drivers in Windows Update, including the mysterious Intel one with a driver date of 1968 (hey, if you leave candy on the table, I'm going to take it). Somehow, my machine survived that one just fine.
Do you mean these below?
Windows 10 is offering a confusing mess of Intel driver updates (bleepingcomputer.com)
I still have these but didn't update them:
1610589557766.png

I didn't install these since they work correctly, and I don’t need to update, just like the Nvidia ones.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I've used DriverHub on many computers. It's free, has a very large database of drivers and works very well. I prefer it to Driver Booster as it has a larger database of drivers. I also sometimes use the free trial version Smart Driver Care, but it only lets you update two drivers a day. As well as that there are some other driver updaters I run on occasion, including Driver Easy. I only use Driver Easy when I get it as a giveaway, as the free version is very limited.

The following is an example of how updating drivers can help. I recently upgraded a Windows 7 laptop to Windows 10, after doing a factory restore of the original Windows 7 installation. After upgrading, soon after booting Windows would become unresponsive for a while, then become responsive again. This would continue indefinitely. I installed DriverHub and let it install a number of the driver updates it found. After rebooting there was no difference. But after running DriverHub again and installing most of the remaining driver updates, Windows 10 worked fine. If I had done a clean install of Windows 10, rather than upgrading, perhaps I would have experienced no issues. But it's also possible that I would have. Anyway, Windows 10 runs fine on that laptop now.

Sometimes updating drivers can fix problems or increase performance. But on the other hand, sometimes updating drivers can cause problems, so it should be done with care. If you have done a clean install of Windows or updated to a new version, driver updaters can be of use to install drivers that Windows can't find and replace generic Microsoft drivers with the proper OEM ones. If you are using the factory install of Windows and haven't updated to a newer version of Windows and aren't having issues with any devices, there's often little need to use such software. You may get better performance, but you should be aware there may be problems.

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
I don't use driver programs.
I'm by this rule, if something works well then don't touch it.
I had a very bad experience some time ago with this kind

the programs did not work for me, neither the sound nor the picture, I had to put the whole system on its feet and this was associated with costs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.