Advice Request Does anyone here still use Sandboxie ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
All the time i use sandboxie...

For Browser : vivaldi
For PDF Reader: Nitro Pdf
For Mail Client : thunderbird + bridge(proton mail)
For Spotify and other untrusted comunity apps like discord.
And some office apps like Miscrosoft excel...

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Is the free version of SB still available? FileHippo says 5.26 and older are free, but I don't know if I trust the download the way things are these days. I guess I could VT the installer to make sure it's the common known one.

Had to bail out on 360 TS and missing the sandbox for MSOffice apps...

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I use Shadow Defender. In my opinion, Shadow Defender is more effective than Sandboxie because Shadow Defender is able to sandbox the entire system, and not just the app alone. It is a very good tool to use on your computer if you decide to lend your PC to your friends to use it for a short amount of time as long your friends don't mess up Shadow Defender stuff.

D

Deleted member 178

Yes, still using sandboxie on my secondary system, my main is using ReHIPS (which i consider better and way less prone to break programs).

@SumTingWong remember SD alone wont protect you against data stealing, unlike sandboxie. But you are right SD virtualize the whole system and protect the MBR (which sbie doesn't)

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
@SumTingWong remember SD alone wont protect you against data stealing, unlike sandboxie. But you are right SD virtualize the whole system and protect the MBR (which sbie doesn't)
Actually SD can virtualise every detected local disk...no matter is it system disk or some other for privat data...and even more it can do this with removable disk if it's inserted.
;)

D

Deleted member 178

Actually SD can virtualise every detected local disk...no matter is it system disk or some other for privat data...and even more it can do this with removable disk if it's inserted.
;)
indeed, my post was about a potential keylogger sitting on the system so i didnt mentioned non-system drives ;)

AriDfoix

Level 3
Verified
Sep 2, 2018
Still using Sandboxie, depending on tasks and objective alternating between Sandboxie and VMs.

Regards,

Reactions: j9ksf
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Grabed Sandboxie lifetime some years ago, still rocking, but not as frequent anymore, since not doing anything shady on host system, just browsing the web. I even find myself now rarely using Shadow Defender, darn, you brought up good question.. I have become a boring Windows user, not installing or running anything unknown. #timetobuychromebook

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Grabed Sandboxie lifetime some years ago, still rocking, but not as frequent anymore, since not doing anything shady on host system, just browsing the web. I even find myself now rarely using Shadow Defender, darn, you brought up good question.. I have become a boring Windows user, not installing or running anything unknown. #timetobuychromebook

I don't do anything shady either but even the most careful person will come across spyware and malware or worse so it is an easy to use layer of protection. The biggest reason I run my browsers in Sandboxie is not for that protection however, it is so I have a clean browser each time start it, no tracking cookies, no browsing history, no nothing.

You can use extensions that clear cookies and history on exit but they often they don't get everything, with Sanboxie when you shut down the browser nothing from that browsing session is left.

Reactions: oldschool

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
I don't do anything shady either but even the most careful person will come across spyware and malware or worse so it is an easy to use layer of protection. The biggest reason I run my browsers in Sandboxie is not for that protection however, it is so I have a clean browser each time start it, no tracking cookies, no browsing history, no nothing.

You can use extensions that clear cookies and history on exit but they often they don't get everything, with Sanboxie when you shut down the browser nothing from that browsing session is left.

Yea exacly that why i use 2 brower in separate sandbox
For social and another for bank/priv usage :)

Reactions: catjc and oldschool
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I have not used it in years. I use Sahadow Defender instead.

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
I have not used it in years. I use Sahadow Defender instead.
comparsion/replace is wrong, they work diferently...

Shadow Defender only restor changes after reboot... while sandbox can separete/izolate changes in during session and yet put some restriction to block access for specific zone after advanced configuration.

I preffer use them gather or yet more promise option use alternative virualized OS "VMware"
But its deppen what and how you wanna secure data
Each this soft work similar but this smililar is not identic and this small difernces can be matter for specific infection.

Reactions: harlan4096

Right now I use a VM.

Nope.For highly configured Sandboxie policy there are just way too many problems. Every time there is a Windows, Chrome, Firefox, Office, etc update, Sandboxie doesn't work correctly. Report it to the Sandboxie forums and either it is ingnored, told "we cannot reproduce" (even though video\screenshots are supplied, or fanbois jump-in and mess up the bug\issue report.

There are Sandboxie fanbois out there using 15 year-old softs because they run them in SBIE, and it is only the 15 year-old version that won't cause SBIE to malfunction. The fanbois modifies their system not for security, but instead for SBIE compatibility. That, my friends, is one of the biggest faces of stupidity that I have ever seen done - by anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.