Advice Request Does anyone here still use Sandboxie ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

@davisd only reasons to use Windows :

- working with security software.
- gaming.
- needing MS Office or other MS software.

1. Security softs are a terrible hobby. Get a different hobby. Get up and run, swim, climb, soar...
2. Except for professional gamers, people don't need to game. Gaming is another terrible human pastime.
3. Very few need to use MS Office. Only people that must use MS Office for their jobs need it.

:love:

Most people are better off with Chromebook.

Chromebook is not very exciting.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

1. Security softs are a terrible hobby. Get a different hobby. Get up and run, swim, climb, soar...
2. Except for professional gamers, people don't need to game. Gaming is another terrible human pastime.
3. Very few need to use MS Office. Only people that must use MS Office for their jobs need it.

:love:

Most people are better off with Chromebook.

Chromebook is not very exciting.

Chromebook is bulletproof and boring. The security theater itself is a hobby for many people. Chromebook you can leave it all behind, and spend more time doing productive things without any worry for the most part.

It's sort of like vacuuming and mopping. I cannot even believe the amount of time I wasted vacuuming and mopping my hardware floors in a rather large home. Now I have 4 robotic systems that do it all, I don't lift a finger. I think I have a dozen hours a week free to do something else. The amount of time and money wasted on Windows Security Theater is astounding.

Chromebook is bulletproof and boring. The security theater itself is a hobby for many people. Chromebook you can leave it all behind, and spend more time doing productive things without any worry for the most part.

It's sort of like vacuuming and mopping. I cannot even believe the amount of time I wasted vacuuming and mopping my hardware floors in a rather large home. Now I have 4 robotic systems that do it all, I don't lift a finger. I think I have a dozen hours a week free to do something else. The amount of time and money wasted on Windows Security Theater is astounding.

I made jest, but it's true.

Living with the Chromebook ecosystem is good - for now. How long will it be good ? No one can know, but we do know the peace of mind won't last forever. I personally think it will be good for years to come, given that Google is merely nibbling at Windows' heals - and that suits me just fine.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I got it installed when I want to get screenshots, otherwise no Sandboxie or Hyper-V VM.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 58943

Durew

Level 1
Verified
Aug 1, 2017
Yes, sandboxie is still an important program for me. Both for security, easy junk removal and the possibility to run two instances of the same program. Have one matlab script running whilst coding away on the other instance, for example.
Despite having plenty of security layers I feel vulnerable when surfing the web without sandboxie.
And finally, no worries about persistent cookies, wiping the sandbox removes them all. (Doesn't work against fingerprinting though.)

Reactions: harlan4096

ChemicalB

Level 8
Verified
Sep 14, 2018
Yes I'm using Chrome under SB for regular browsing without problems.
I think it's an additional security layer to mitigate any potential threats and malicious redirects.
I've set the automatic deletion of the session at the browser closing.

Reactions: Weebarra

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
I like sandboxie for my webbrowser, pdf viewer and so on.
With autodelete on exit i never got to care about cookies (and most other stuff).

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
I like sandboxie for my webbrowser, pdf viewer and so on.
With autodelete on exit i never got to care about cookies (and most other stuff).
If you are more interested you can do something more in advanced configuration, and disable access read/write for disk/folder where program no need and don't should get access. That can help a bit help against spyware ^^

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
@Quassar Thanks for mentioning it. I got my sandboxes restricted on internet (if possible) and programs that could run inside them but i totally forgot the option for "blocked access".

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Still use it but not as often as before... Only use it for some software I rarely used or just want to try, sandbox drives related to USB, and to sandbox EpicBrowser.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
If I use Sandboxie for free, and I think it's great. When I close my browser, it has removed everything.:giggle:

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
If you need something restore you can use 2nd mode view.
From menu view / files and folder and from path tree chose files which you want restore from isolated space to your main system.
You can in options configure quick recovery for path and if something will changed in this sector sandboxie will auto prompt you for restore this file.

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
lol umbra in your faq i see you allow browser direct access for cookies is not good example how to improve security by config sandboxie ^^

D

Deleted member 178

lol umbra in your faq i see you allow browser direct access for cookies is not good example how to improve security by config sandboxie ^^
Cookies aren't security risks, i don't care about privacy. As I said my settings are for both security and convenience.
Especially for this machine, which is leisure one. On my production machine , I use ReHIPS, way better than sandboxie in term of security.

Last edited by a moderator:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Yes, running latest Firefox build 62.03/64 bit in Sbie beta 5.27.1 as well as using it for some Windows stuff like Media Player and occ. File Explorer. For Firefox, I allow Sbie access to bookmarks in the Window/Sandbox/default box/Sandbox settings/Applications/web browser/Firefox section but that's it. Hasn't misbehaved on me yet in Windows v.1809 and this version migrated from Windows v.1803 without issues..

Reactions: harlan4096

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
This is so strange, I have updated several systems to W10RS5 (some of them are VMs -> VMWare), and in 2 of them (1 VM and 1 in a real system -> laptop), the updater of RS5 warned me that SandBoxie (las stable versions) was incompatible with W10 and committed me to uninstall it manually before continue with the update :sick: but in the others systems with SandBoxie I didn't get that warning... WTF?

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
This is so strange, I have updated several systems to W10RS5 (some of them are VMs -> VMWare), and in 2 of them (1 VM and 1 in a real system -> laptop), the updater of RS5 warned me that SandBoxie (las stable versions) was incompatible with W10 and committed me to uninstall it manually before continue with the update :sick: but in the others systems with SandBoxie I didn't get that warning... WTF?
You need to install the beta version that's compatible with 1809, that's what I did a couple of hours ago :)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Generally speaking, it's better to use the beta version of SBIE. The stable version is behind the 8-ball for the majority of the time. When they finally get around to issuing a new stable version, something in your OS or software will change the next day and make it obsolete...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.