Advice Request Does Emsisoft Browser Security still supported ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I would like to know if the Emsisoft Browser Security extension is still supported for Brave Browser.??? The last updated version was in June 2021 as shown in the extension.

You meant further maintained by Emsisoft?
To be sure, you can asking on official support forum: Emsisoft Support Forums

Latest version Emsisoft Browser Security does work properly even on Brave:

brave.png

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Hi, can you share how effective is it? Does it block anything for you?
Tested in Brave against phishing links it is OK. I don't test against malware links as I've no VM.

Just tested openphish links.
Code:
9 Blocked
2 Blocked by Brave browser HTTPS protection
1 Dead

Tested 18 phishtank links, which is a tougher test (vs. OP):
Code:
9 blocked
5 missed
4 dead

Edit: SafeBrowsing blocked only 1 out of both tests.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Hi, can you share how effective is it? Does it block anything for you?

I can tell my user experience with Emsisoft Browser Security against malware (most cases .exe), known malicious hosts will be blocked, but unknown malware can be blocked while downloading or what's missed will be monitored by behavior blocker for users of Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

Bitdefender Traffic Light blocks earlier, almost nothing will be downloaded, but it doesn't respect users privacy in the same way like Emsisoft Browser Extension!

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
What do you mean by not respecting users privacy?

Emsisoft Browser Security how does it work explained on this statement by @Fabian Wosar official from Emsisoft:
Emsisoft Browser Security is a cloud-based browser extension for Firefox as well as Chrome. It is powered by the same database that also powers the Emsisoft Surf Protection. However, since it is part of the browser and has access to the actual URLs and the page content without breaking SSL, it can use a lot more advanced detections, which will greatly increase the detection of phishing websites in particular.

Unlike a lot of other cloud-based extensions, who will send any URL you visit in clear-text to a backend somewhere, we decided to make it a lot more privacy-conscious. So instead of URLs in plaintext, we only ever see hashes of parts of the URLs you visit, which we can't turn back into their readable form. Any processing that requires the entire URL, is done completely client-side, so the sites you visit never leave your browser.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.