Advice Request Does oneself really need an Antivirus?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

LDogg

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I was thinking the other day, I have Avast Free installed and do I really need an AV? If not Should I stick to Sandboxing my web browser, A Firewall and an anti exploit program?

Should I uninstall Avast too? As I'm not a user that downloads anything stupid.

~LDogg

Last edited:

LDogg

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
If your AV or malware scans have never detected anything, then you most likely do not, because you are well protected.

But the question is why? Performance issues, BSOD or you just do not want to run any AV? Better be safe than sorry.

I know I have a safe system, but my Brain.exe, sandboxing, Anti-exploit & common may seem to do fairly better then then having an AV.

None of the above, maybe a slow down at system start up.

Why? I just feel like I don't need to have AV for the sites and activity that I do.

~LDogg

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
1. Sandbox is covered with Sandboxing and container with Comodo Firewall
2. Anti Exploit with OSArmor
3. Adblock with uBlock Origin
4. Anti Phishing with brain.exe & common sense

Most aspects are covered here.

Comodo firewall is not the solution, it eats all the resources in a few seconds of installing it.
binisoft Windows firewall control for many reason about of recovery of resources

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Great question ... Sometimes I wonder ... and I think it's not so imminent to have an AV. The antivirus companies sell us what is necessary, "If your PC does not have an Av it can explode". But no, it is not necessary for users who know what they do. if necessary for high risk users.
What I do find necessary are backup programs on an external disk. In case something fails.

I currently use the CS configuration. CF. and I've been without Av a long time and nothing has happened with Exe Radar No virus thanks. Upload of VirusTotal. 2.2 and Sanboxie.

Last edited:

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
I prefer CFW over Windows Firewall as a personal preference more then anything else. Plus has additional features. which can be config'd aka like cruelsister settings.

~LDogg

many options are too much for example comodo for paranoids and alarmists. what is sought is harmony between performance and good protection, not so agressive, you is not a fool who downloads strange things or visits malicious websites, you knows what you does. with Comodo Firewall you don't get performance. I have my own experience with him.

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
I also think setting up a LUA (Limited User Account) can reduce any infection by 86% as any threat won't have Admin access rights to make any changes.

~LDogg

no thanks virus sys hardener can decrease the privilege of your administrator account in stages and to your liking, almost like a limited or much more robust account, remove total privilege to unsigned applications and with bypassers. Novirus thanks products has zero theft of performance.

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
Great question ... Sometimes I wonder ... and I think it's not so imminent to have an AV. The antivirus companies sell us what is necessary, "If your PC does not have an Av it can explode". But no, it is not necessary for users who know what they do. if necessary for high risk users.
What I do find necessary are backup programs on an external disk. In case something fails.

I currently use the CS configuration. CF. and I've been without Av a long time and nothing has happened with Exe Radar No, thanks. Upload of VirusTotal. 2.2 and Sanboxie.

I am not so supportive of the programs to make backups due iven't freespace for this tasks, but is only important for pc at important companies. my information in the online pc is nos relevant. "musics, movies and photos from animation". pure rubish. instead my main computer is never connected to the internet and has usb ports disabled.

I was thinking the other day, I have Avast Free installed and do I really need an AV? If not Should I stick to Sandboxing my web browser, A Firewall and an anti exploit program?

Should I uninstall Avast too? As I'm not a user that downloads anything stupid.

~LDogg

It is a best practice to use antivirus (along with other stuff that the user should do). Assuming that you have a more recent system, you can find one that consumes little to no overhead. So you most likely won't even notice that it is there.

LDogg

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
It is a best practice to use antivirus (along with other stuff that the user should do). Assuming that you have a more recent system, you can find one that consumes little to no overhead. So you most likely won't even notice that it is there.

Is there any light AVs you would suggest out there at all?

~LDogg

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Well I've realised I have been never hit by a car so... I don't need to watch by my sides when I cross the street...

The concept is not properly announced. Antivirus is needed in almost every case. Even Windows Defender works when you're an advanced user. Nowadays, with the huge amount of malware coders, new tactics and techniques evolve and pop up on the security industry that can trick even the brightest IT nerd. Some years ago, nobody would suspect you could get infected by only watching an ad banner, not even clicking it, and here we are, totally possible -and common-.

My recommendation is: always use an antivirus even if it's basic in case you're an advanced user, and always complement with signature-less software.

A good combo can rely on Windows Defender and OSArmor, if you know what you're doing online. Can't think of lighter combo.

LDogg

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Well I've realised I have been never hit by a car so... I don't need to watch by my sides when I cross the street...

The concept is not properly announced. Antivirus is needed in almost every case. Even Windows Defender works when you're an advanced user. Nowadays, with the huge amount of malware coders, new tactics and techniques evolve and pop up on the security industry that can trick even the brightest IT nerd. Some years ago, nobody would suspect you could get infected by only watching an ad banner, not even clicking it, and here we are, totally possible -and common-.

My recommendation is: always use an antivirus even if it's basic in case you're an advanced user, and always complement with signature-less software.

A good combo can rely on Windows Defender and OSArmor, if you know what you're doing online. Can't think of lighter combo.

What signature-less software which is out there would you recommend?

~LDogg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.