Does scanning your PC shorten SSD life?

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Even if it does which I don't know it still is probably better to use realtime scanning and such. If you become really infected your drive could die just like that. I expect keeping a computer virus/malware free with running protection less taxing than a computer heavily infected.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Does the use of an on-demand/realtime PC scan shorten SSD life?
yes it can be but not that much
However, it's better to use an AV with less disk IO activity with low pagefile usage
Some AVs cause too much disk activity that make HDD indicator in our PCs frequently light up. I heard avast and AVG cause it
I used avast myself and I can confirm it somehow. A solution to reduce it is to disable transient caching
avast is light in memory usage so after disable transient caching, I saw a lot less disk activity

1/ some AV also uses pagefile to reduce their memory usage seen in task manager so users may think they are light but actually not
for example, KIS 2017 have 2 processes in task manager: ~90Mb. However when we look at resource monitor/performance monitor/process explorer, they show at least 200Mb of working set (stored in physical RAM, not a problem) and 350-500Mb of Commit (might be partially stored in pagefile, not sure). Sorry, I disabled pagefile so I have no idea what value shows how much of the pagefile a program uses (maybe page fault delta - in process explorer?).

2/ Using to much of the pagefile can noticeably reduce PC performance especially with HDD and degrade it faster especially with very low physical RAM (1-2Gb)

3/ AVs with very slow scanning speed can also reduce HDD/SSD life span. This is what I think about Windows Defender/MSE. They causes too much disk activity at realtime protection

correct me if I'm wrong

Last edited:
L

LabZero

Thread author
AV scan submit a SSD, but also a traditional HDD, to stress.
In my opinion it would be better to run full scans from time to time, even if the most recent models of solid-state drives have a long life time equal to the obsolescence of any other hardware component.

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
No, but it's also like, if you're scanning every day yeah it might? Once every so often shouldn't stress your drive.

Reactions: Logethica

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.