Does Windows 10 attract or repel you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sinu

Thread author
In some ways it only seems like five minutes since the appearance of Windows 8. But at the same time, it feels as though Windows 10 has been a long time coming. While Microsoft has been talking about the upgrade for quite some time, it has only been in recent months that there has been any sense of progress having been made.

Early builds of Windows 10 were a little lacklustre, and even later builds failed to inspire the levels of excitement that Microsoft would undoubtedly want them to do. Any new version of Windows is met with a combination of trepidation, eagerness, and disappointment, and Windows 10 is no different. It's very easy to say that it is impossible to please everyone, but it's certainly fair to say that Windows 10 has proved particularly divisive. Now, as we edge ever closer to launch, the time comes to ask -- what has Microsoft done right, and what is still wrong?

I'm not going to stray into review territory just yet, but when canvassing opinion it makes sense to touch on a few of the operating system's key areas. The development of Windows 10 has seen Microsoft looking for, receiving, and responding to feedback in an unprecedented way -- but has it paid off? Are the changes that have been implemented changes for the better, or has the hive mind made Windows take a turn for the worse?

So what is there to embrace in Windows 10? In many regards, little has changed, but at the same time. The Windows Insider program -- as well as the various leaks that have surfaced -- have given us a great opportunity to familiarize ourselves with the operating system ahead of launch, but it is easy to forget that the vast majority of people will be coming to Windows 10 blind. There have been a lot of testers trying things out, but there are millions more who have no experience at all. July 29 will be the start of a whole new experience.

The Live Tiles that have been ported from Windows Phone still feel a little strange. They appear to have been designed for people suffering from an attention deficit disorder. The Start menu is something that people have been begging for ever since it was culled and replaced with the Start screen. Now it's back and there is a very real danger that Microsoft still has not got it quite right. On the plus side there is the choice between using the Start menu and the Start screen, but the menu is likely to disappoint more than it pleases.

For purists, the Windows 10 Start menu will be an overly large and fussy affair, and the presence of Live Tiles is something that grates. The Start menu has always been somewhere users visit to access apps, files, and folders. Now it is home to information as well. This sound great in theory, but in practice it is far from ideal. Users of the Start menu become accustomed to firing it up, putting it to use as a launcher... and that's it. Now images scroll by, headlines flash up, and all manner of other information is displayed -- if you're willing to stick around and wait for it to appear that is. Spend a little time with Windows 10 and the feeling that the right hand side of the Start menu in general, and Live tiles in particular, is a waste of space and time. Why would you want to spend time lingering in a part of Windows that is historically only a brief stop-over? Your mileage may vary, of course, but the revamped Start menu feels like something of a missed opportunity. It could have been so much more.

One of the biggest features that Microsoft has been shouting about is Edge. The replacement of Internet Explorer is long-overdue, but it's not clear that Microsoft Edge is anywhere near ready. With so few new features in Windows 10, one can't help but feel that it would have made sense to wait a little longer until the browser is fully complete. Perhaps the greatest selling point for Edge is support for add-ons, yet this option will not be available at launch. How many people who rely on add-ons are going to be willing to give Edge another chance further down the line? If you're already invested in Chrome or Firefox, there really is very little reason to move away. It possible that even those moving from Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge will be tempted to investigate the competition now that concentration has been focused on add-ons and awareness of the possibilities raised.

What else is there? We have a change to the way modern app run. We have Cortana. There's a virtual desktop manager. There is the much sought after notification system. Is it enough? Has Microsoft listened to feedback enough... or too much?

Over to you.

What are your highs and lows in Windows 10?

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I'm looking forward to it. I'm gonna make sure that my backups have backups first!

Reactions: frogboy

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
another guy that focus only on the design and appearance of the OS...same old same old , at each new Windows.

so useless comments.

Its not just a useless design and mambo jumbo review, most of the things are not even true.
How do you mean no new features in Windows 10? Really?

@sinu where did you dig up this crap? Betafiles? boy o boy.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I am not nuts about the appearance (time will probably change my mind) I still like windows 7 it is everything I need. I will probably wait awhile before using it on a real machine, VM's for now. The important thing is how much more secure it is, but I hate the forced updates.

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
So many articles like this and none of them talk about DX-12 or the app store. My guess is no one is a gamer or an app developer.

AFAIK, gamers, game developers & app developers are really really excited about Win10.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That's pretty much user testimony, again still a choice and the revamp major version doesn't sacrifice much system requirements as long you conduct a backup if you ever regret Windows 10. ;)

For majority of users of course it will attract, especially the changes done from previous era. Still misconception may brought to repel back so grab while its free. ;)

Reactions: nissimezra

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Those who have felt the goodness of windows 8 over windows 7 but still prefers windows 7 due to having better user interface would definitely love Windows 10.

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
Yep, its submitting more data than ever any Windows before and the option to change in installation is
font size 6 and blue on blue..............

But for that a big fat use express settings button.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Attract! Looks amazing ... like a perfect progression of 7 and 8.

Now they need to de-bug the thing FULLY to avoid user frustration, but already out to the public, with bugs.

I will wait a few years, I like Windows 7 just fine.

Windows 10: Great Looks and Aesthetics, New Functions, More Cloud-Dependent, more Malware-resistant.

However, lags and a lot slower than Windows 8.1. Win10 has so many processes running in the background. Takes care of your privacy LESS.

You got it exactly right... this is what I have heard so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.