Does Windows 10 attract or repel you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniac2003

Level 2
Sep 20, 2012
I'm 'testing' it in a VM right now, looks good but how it handles the daily tasks we'll see.
Tried a earlier release on my Lenovo Ultrabook and it ran without problems. So I'm certainly upgrading on release.

Reactions: nissimezra

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I've been using it as a main OS since the RTM was pulled from an ESD update file. It's the fastest Windows OS that I've used but unfortunately, not many AV support it and if they do, it's most likely a beta. Avast is the only AV that I've tried that works 100% perfectly with it and isn't a beta. As for software, it seems to work with anything on Windows 7 and 8, as for gaming, a little faster than 7 and 8. Am I attracted to it? Yes. Especially for Xbox One.

Reactions: nissimezra and Kent

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
We all have to do the update within a year to keep the licence for windows 10, once you do the upgrade and register you will be able to do fresh install of windows 10 at any time and it will activate automatically.
the question is if after upgrade we can downgrade back to windows 7? I dont think it'll be a problem restoring an image or factory default.
the bigest problem is the automatic update that can not be stopped, I install a lot of operating system and I just dont have enough bandwidth for all of them. I will need to find a way to disable it.

Last edited:

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
the question is if after upgrade we can downgrade back to windows 7? I

I've read that you have 30 days to downgrade, but that doesn't sound long enough for one to decide to stay.

I'm pretty sure you can downgrade again if you have another spare valid license for Windows 7.

surely microsoft wont prevent you from downgrading if you bought another valid license key, that would be sad if they did.

Last edited:

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
I'm being honest, I'm not 100% sure about it at all.

That's pretty much the only details of downgrading that I found.
thanks bro
does anyone know if after upgrading to windows 10 I can restore an activated image of windows 7 and keep it genuine or I will lose my windows 7 product key?
I have a laptop with B940 and 4 gig of ram so I dont know how win 10 will work on it.
anyway I'll wait for a while until the smoke clears

Reactions: OokamiCreed

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
thanks bro
does anyone know if after upgrading to windows 10 I can restore an activated image of windows 7 and keep it genuine or I will lose my windows 7 product key?
I have a laptop with B940 and 4 gig of ram so I dont know how win 10 will work on it.
anyway I'll wait for a while until the smoke clears

If you restore it, you will still have genuine. Source: Did this myself 2 times with Windows 7

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
I sure hope that you right because I just want to keep the licence for the windows 10 and than to restore the image

I'll detail what I did here so there isn't any confusion.

• I backed up Windows 7 Pro (using an OEM key) with Paragon B&R Free
  • I ran the setup.exe of Windows 10 build 10240 (RTM) and upgraded from there
  • It never asked for a license during or after the upgrade process. Windows 10 Pro was activated upon booting it up by itself
  • Restored Windows 7 using Paragon
  • Windows 7 Pro was still activated and able to update via Windows Update
What I haven't tried was reinstalling it then putting the key back in. I also don't have a retail key to test it with, only OEM. I can't verify that you can restore and still have activated Windows 7 under these circumstances.

Reactions: Malware1

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
I'll detail what I did here so there isn't any confusion.

• I backed up Windows 7 Pro (using an OEM key) with Paragon B&R Free
  • I ran the setup.exe of Windows 10 build 10240 (RTM) and upgraded from there
  • It never asked for a license during or after the upgrade process. Windows 10 Pro was activated upon booting it up by itself
  • Restored Windows 7 using Paragon
  • Windows 7 Pro was still activated and able to update via Windows Update
What I haven't tried was reinstalling it then putting the key back in. I also don't have a retail key to test it with, only OEM. I can't verify that you can restore and still have activated Windows 7 under these circumstances.
thanks for the info.
for now there shouldn't be a problem they will not be blocking the keys we will have to see if it will work after the 29th of July.
as far as I know there shouldn't be any problem with windows 7 because the OEM keys sitting on many computers and therefore they can not blacklist a key. for windows 8 however it might be a problem but I dont think any windows 8 will want to downgrade back to 8.

Reactions: OokamiCreed

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
as far as I know there shouldn't be any problem with windows 7 because the OEM keys sitting on many computers and therefore they can not blacklist a key.

No problem. As for this right here, I'm not too sure. I know that my OEM is not embedded into my PC but I have another newer PC that came with Windows 8 with an OEM key which does have it's key embedded onto it however I was able to activate Windows 8 on another computer with that key. I think OEM keys can be put on any computer as long as the brand matches. Both computer I did this on were HP. Seems to be purely motherboard related. Although I think when a key is embedded, it probably activates by itself using that key without user intervention but I'm not sure.

For me, Windows 10 RTM is working perfectly (using it right now) so I doubt I'll be restoring Windows 7. Only problem I have is AV support. Good thing is, the 29th is very close and won't have to wait long at all to get the support that I need. Right now, I'm waiting for ESET to support Windows 10. Even the beta doesn't work without problems.

I agree with you about Windows 8. I highly doubt anyone who has that will not want Windows 10 more. It's faster and more stable for me than Windows 8 ever was. I have no experience upgrading to 10 from 8. I have too many problems with 8 to have used it for long. That PC that came with 8 preinstalled I downgraded to Windows 7 Home using an old OEM key from another HP.

Reactions: nissimezra
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.