Does Windows Defender's Apps and Browner conttrol still work after KTS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunarlander

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 8, 2017
Hi,

When Kaspersky's Total Security is installed, does it only disable Window's Defender's Virus and Threat Profection? Does the App and Browser control portion still works? I like it if the new EMET implementation still works.

Hi,

When Kaspersky's Total Security is installed, does it only disable Window's Defender's Virus and Threat Profection? Does the App and Browser control portion still works? I like it if the new EMET implementation still works.

KTS already has anti-exploit protections.

If you are using Kaspersky Total Security, then you do not also need to have Exploit Guard features enabled. It is overkill, might be redundant and might also cause conflicts that will cause protection breakages in both KTS and Windows.

If you have any doubts about that statement, then ask Kaspersky support directly. They are the best source of infos regarding their product and Microsoft's new gizmos.

Your guess is as good as mine. So it is best to be conservative to avoid conflicts and breakages.

Everybody releases these anti-exploit protection features, but no one ever releases any documentation to answer users' inevitable questions - especially those regarding compatibility. They generally don't test for compatibility for every soft out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
You already know how are They :(:unsure: I only know that I can't access to any WD settings while Kaspersky is installed:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
UKpft

Reactions: Berny and XhenEd

I checked the documentation Use Windows Defender Exploit Guard to protect your network , according to it 3 out of the 4 protections: Network Protection, Attack Surface Reduction Rules and Controlled Folder Access require that windows defender antivirus' realtime protection is on. When KTS is installed windows defender's realtime protection is turned off, this is how it looks:
Zoj55z.png
And this is how it looks without any antivirus installed:
wd_11.png

I just sent em a ticket

cqh1ni.png

L1aX8C.png

Interestingly enough, there was no ask question option anywhere, I guess this will have to suffice, let's see how it goes

Well that answers that question, but it doesn't answer if there will be conflicts between Kaspersky anti-exploit protection and Exploit Guard - which doesn't require Windows Defender real-time protection to be enabled.

And it's a joke that Microsoft only includes documentation for Administrators and none for home users. And what documentation there is, is half-baked. Microsoft just threw Exploit Guard at home users without any thought as to their ability to configure it.

Kaspersky never gives any detailed documentation either.

I bet most home users don't feel like digging for answers beyond the user's manual.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaspersky does not list EMET as one of the security softs that conflicts with KIS\KTS, so since Exploit Guard is basically EMET you would assume that there would be no conflicts with Exploit Guard. But it is not so simple. Best to get an answer direct from Kaspersky - and someone high up and not some mere support tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.