Don't fall for phone phishing scams

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Don't fall for phone phishing scams : http://betanews.com/2014/08/02/dont-fall-for-phone-phishing-scams/
'Here's what legitimate companies say about information disclosure:
  • Bank of America: "We will never ask for (or disclose) your Social Security number, account information, passwords, or PINs".
  • Chase Bank: "Don't share your passwords or any other login credentials with anyone. Chase representatives will never ask you for your Chase Password or security token code".
  • People's Bank: "We will never ask you for personal information, such as account numbers, PIN numbers, address, social security numbers or passwords, in an email".
  • City of Provo, Utah (online bill-pay): "Our representatives will never send you an email requesting you to validate personal information. Please be advised that we will never ask for you to update your social security number, date of birth, driver's license number, or other sensitive information via e-mail".

To be clear: You should never give out personal information to automated systems. When there is a legitimate security breach, the service provider will ask for verification information already on file, not request account numbers or any portion of a social security number.'

MICROSOFT good advices page: http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx

Reactions: marg

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
I have gotten these phone scams in the past. I just hang up. My bank told me if there is something amiss they will have me come in to the bank.

Reactions: Prorootect

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
'My bank told me if there is something amiss they will have me come in to the bank.'

Very true, marg!

Reactions: marg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.