Don't you face Unresponsive Scripts issue on Firefox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Palemoon about page shows version 25, does this means its based on Firefox version 25?
Yes.:) Well, technically, it is version 25.5 at the time of this posting.:p
This is one of the reasons why I quit using Firefox and moved over to Google Chrome.
A remarkable Chromium based browser that has nearly taken me away from Google Chrome is called slimjet
Give it a spin.:cool:
Additionally, adding at least (1) Mozilla sourced browser may come in handy sometime when Chrome happens to stall with a bug or compatibility problem. Pale Moon https://www.palemoon.org/ offers most everything Firefox does, and Sea Monkey http://www.seamonkey-project.org/ sounds, if nothing else, quite interesting...:p:D

Back on topic,:) even though I've removed Firefox (for now) I may follow @darko999's tip of disabling hardware acceleration when I eventually re-install it :rolleyes: once more. I've done this with all others!:D:D

Reactions: frogboy

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
Bold statement indeed and your proof they dont track you is.......?

Its a free & open-source software and their privacy policy is simple, https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/privacy/.

You just have to configure Firefox to stop sending personal information by opting out (Firefox shows this notification while starting it for the first time) of sending usage data to Mozilla.

If you want more privacy, then you can follow this, amq/firefox-debloat, but make sure that you know what you are disabling and not disable services blindly while following some tutorial.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Firefox has its unresponsive script problem. Chrome has its unresponsive plug-in problem (especially Flash), and its unresponsive pages problem (constant offers to kill the pages or wait.) So both need a lot of fixing.

Palemoon version number is independent from Firefox version number and difference is only going to get bigger, Palemoon is getting it's own engine Goanna.

https://www.palemoon.org/roadmap.shtml

New Engine:
https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8607
http://moonchildproductions.info/goanna.shtml

In total, Palemoon is taking different path from Firefox and is staying true to open source philosophy without adding unnecessary bloatware like Mozilla is doing with Firefox.

I intend to use Pale Moon as default on my next computer. Is PaleMoon really going to secede from the Gecko family? I would hate to see Pale Moon users no longer have access to the magnificent Mozilla add-on collection.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Firefox has its unresponsive script problem. Chrome has its unresponsive plug-in problem (especially Flash), and its unresponsive pages problem (constant offers to kill the pages or wait.) So both need a lot of fixing.

I intend to use Pale Moon as default on my next computer. Is PaleMoon really going to secede from the Gecko family? I would hate to see Pale Moon users no longer have access to the magnificent Mozilla add-on collection.
Thank you @conceptualclarity, your posted query brought back to my attention Chrome's unresponsive nature on our old rig w/XP (for me, portable slimjet x86 does better) & the reason Pale Moon has never attempted to land upon the shores of the isle of Dell, it won't work!:rolleyes::p
As much as I prefer Pale Moon, it crashes however seldom, yet edges out our Firefox imho.;) My wish is Pale Moon shall continue it's current trajectory while also providing fixes for compatibility (esp. when a new engine is developed) as the forks for HTTPS Everywhere & Adblock Plus were developed respectively, Encrypted Web https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/privacy-and-security/encrypted-web/
& Adblock Latitude https://addons.palemoon.org/extensions/privacy-and-security/adblock-latitude/ .:):)

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Thank you @conceptualclarity, your posted query brought back to my attention Chrome's unresponsive nature on our old rig w/XP (for me, portable slimjet x86 does better)

Yes, I like SlimJet better than Google Chrome. I also like Comodo Dragon better than Chrome.

As much as I prefer Pale Moon, it crashes however seldom, yet edges out our Firefox imho.;)

Yes, I think Pale Moon is better than Firefox. I think it's the best browser. There was a a test done at raymond.cc., I think it was, that put Pale Moon ahead of Firefox and Chrome as the fastest browser. But a big part of its quality in my view is its access to the Mozilla add-on collection. Without that it wouldn't be the same browser. So I'm not clear: is Pale Moon envisioning a break which would mean it's no longer part of the Gecko family along with many other browsers (Firefox, Waterfox, Comodo Ice Dragon, Epic, CometBird, Wyzo, SeaMonkey, Lunascape, and others)? Or have they already done it?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
"...is Pale Moon envisioning a break which would mean it's no longer part of the Gecko family along with many other browsers (Firefox, Waterfox, Comodo Ice Dragon, Epic, CometBird, Wyzo, SeaMonkey, Lunascape, and others)? Or have they already done it?"
In hopes to avoid steering entirely off the OP's topic, Firefox, I'll keep this short by just sharing a link from Pale Moon's developer, Moonchild, for whomever is interested. https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8607
Edit: Kudos @Vipersd whom had already shared this, I now see.:oops: I was excited Moonchild answered so quickly on live chat, I'd not noticed until after it was done!:D

Last edited:

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
Pale Moon has it's share of unresponsive scripts like any other browser out there, but sometimes browser is the one that is working properly and the script on the website itself is a problem.

When add-ons are in questions there is excellent explanation about them on Pale Moon road-map page.

https://www.palemoon.org/roadmap.shtml

Personally I'm pleased as how things are developing especially when you take in consideration the number of people that works on Pale Moon opposed to Mozilla.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Thank you very much for that link, Vipersd.

Pale Moon would not be complete without its support for Mozilla code extensions, of course, and the extension compatibility maintained in Pale Moon is purposefully kept (mostly) at the Firefox v24 front-end level. It provides compatibility with most of the browser extensions originally written for Mozilla Firefox (by accepting installations for Firefox application IDs) even though Pale Moon, from v25 onwards, is a different application altogether from an extension point of view.

The future of Pale Moon is to maintain this general compatibility with v24 era Firefox extension capabilities

That's very reassuring.

Pale Moon has it's share of unresponsive scripts like any other browser out there, but sometimes browser is the one that is working properly and the script on the website itself is a problem.

I have no doubt you know of what you speak here. However, I think it's pertinent for this thread for me to note this. I extensively use Maxthon browser as my default browser. I never experience on Maxthon the unresponsive scripts of Firefox or the unresponsive plug-ins of Chrome. It is a real contrast when I leave Maxthon to go on those other two browsers and I start experiencing those things. Maxthon is a Chinese browser with a so far wholly inadequate extension warehouse, yet it seems to be doing something right.

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
There's nothing wrong with Telemetry. At least you are able to view the data compared to others (not limited to browsers).

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
There's nothing wrong with Telemetry.

But what about

^ I also do that because it shares my IP with public. I don't care about the data being shared but IP is a no no. :p

I also don't care about the data being shared. But this is the first I heard of sharing one's IP with the public. I don't like the sound of it.

I wonder why no one is using NoScript Security Suite with Firefox/Pale Moon/Cyberfox. :confused:

...PS: One does not simply run Firefox without NoScript.

I installed NoScript. But it was over my head, so I temporarily disabled it till I had time to read through its tutorial in great detail. Still haven't gotten around to that yet.:confused:

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
Well. Technically, it's not the "public". Your IP is exposed all the time anyway. Consider a bridge network connection -- you're very vulnerable. That's why you need a firewall.

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
Maxthon is in essence IE, and majority of websites are still made with IE use in mind. There is a lot of things that can go wrong (good old Murphy law).

Clean browser+extension+basic html (html5) website+JavaScript ... if you add Java, flash and bunch of other stuff to your website and you don't do it properly, something is going to go wrong and you will get unresponsive script.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.