Advice Request Downloading from the Chrome store vs Edge store

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
For Enhancer for YouTube, I see there is both Chrome version:
and Edge version:

The difference is that the Chrome version did update recently, but the Edge version updated last year.

In this case, I think it's best to download the one available in the Chrome store, right?

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
As Edge user, I believe it's more trustworthy to use only the browser extensions from store by Microsoft, unless you might be running into major issues on the "older" version of Enhancer for YouTube.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
In this case, I think it's best to download the one available in the Chrome store, right?
Improvements over the old version:

It can force H264 instead of VP9, so another extension no longer needed, just like Turn off the lights.
Settings actually work, like dark mode or additional youtube buttons, previously almost completely omitted.
ADs are properly blocked, it no longer loads them for a sec before loading a video, sometimes it even got stuck at the AD.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The difference is that the Chrome version did update recently, but the Edge version updated last year.

If correct, you mentioned you use Chrome as secondary browser.
  • For Google Chrome use Chrome Web Store
  • For Microsoft Edge use Edge Addon Store, or Chrome Web Store
  • Brave, Opera and other Chromium-browsers are Chrome Web Store compatible
1. Check the developers are the same, not a clone or fake extension. If required, verify with the developer.
2. Review extensions based on your needs - the more you install, the greater the risk!

At the moment, Edge Addon store does not require developers to disclose their privacy practices.
Link: Transparent privacy practices for Chrome Extensions

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Thank you all, @Spawn yes, but I don't use Google Chrome daily. I installed it just in case.

So, the bottom line is that it was OK to install Enhancer for Youtube on my Edge, via the Chrome store?
Thanks again.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Yes.

Edge browser is compatible with the Chrome Web Store, with the added benefits as mentioned in my previous post.

Reactions: amirr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.