Dritek Launch Manager for Acer Aspire laptop - malware?

theguestfromthewest

Thread author
Jul 29, 2018
I got an Acer Aspire V15 Nitro laptop. Unfortunately, there are no indicators for showing enganged/disengaged buttons such as Caps Lock, Scroll Lock, Num Lock etc. I googled to find a solution and ended up on the following website...

How can I get a Caps Lock indicator to show on my Aspire E1 571?

I downloaded the file from the link in the second post (from user Aztek) in the following line...

"This is the driver packaged I have:
Code:
'http://global-download.gateway.com/GDFiles/Application/LaunchManager/LaunchManager_Dritek_5.1.15_W7x64_A.zip?acerid=634725820578255695&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=NV%20SERIES&Step3=NV76R&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=GATEWAY&SC=PA_6G']LaunchManager_Dritek_5.1.15_W7x86W7x64_A
"

After unzipping and scanning the executable with first an updated and pre-installed version of Malwarebytes as well as with ditto Avast Antivirus which both reported no malicious content, I gave it a try and installed. Nothing happened herafter. Only that Windows went into a reboot (common windows reboot screen appeared and reboot initiated). After restart of Windows, no installed program could be found in the program list in controlpanel (neither in Ccleaner). I did a complete scan of the system with Malwarebytes (the whole works) and again, nothing malicious was found. Then went to Jotti's to analyse the file there, but none of the scanners reported anything malicious. Had a quick look in the process list but didn't see any unusual processor activity there.

My question is now, can anyone confirm that this file is harmless? I can't get really get any peace of mind before this file is 100% deemed safe. File can be obtained and downloaded from added link in the post for analysis.

Would it be a good idea to do a HijackThis scan?

Looking forward to any reply, big or small.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

theguestfromthewest

Thread author
Jul 29, 2018
Did some research and found this...

RfBtnSvc64.exe Windows process - What is it?

...which indicates, the file is good.

Ran a complete Malwarebytes scan without finding any malware or issues. Afterwards checked task manager and found the following process which was also in the startup list of Ccleaner.

scrnsht_png.png

Disabled said process in Ccleaner, then checked files in the location. None came up as malicious in scans. However, the process would still run and not do anything at all. Removed the entire folder called 'RadioController' and did a reboot. After this action, the process has disappeared from the process list and the folder is permanently deleted. There is just one process item I am still wondering a bit about. It's called 'Execution Service (32-bit) --> Cron Service' in the task manager and has a green puzzle piece-style icon. I tried to google this one and came up with some information which indicated, that this should be a program for scheduling tasks in Unix/Windows. Is this process good and what about the other deleted process? Is anybody able to confirm the validity and harmlessness of the same?

Looking forward to any reply.

theguestfromthewest

Thread author
Jul 29, 2018
Hi Spawn,

thanks for your reply.

Sounds good with the link apparently being okay and owned by Acer.

To your other question, I cannot find this type of management software for my model on the Acer website under drivers, programs and the like. An alternative would be to use third-party software. But after this experience, I think I'll live with the lack of indicators for the aforementioned buttons.

Thanks again for your help and time.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.