Troubleshoot Driver updater

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Nope co i found latest AMD driver in their manufacture website, so device manager failed to detect it ( in window 7) plus now i'm run device manager again to update my graphic driver, it found update & starts to update it, but it didn't tell me that latest AMD graphic driver is in beta not stable, that's why i don't use it, beta drivers can cause system instability. Plus updating driver over existing drive can cause problem sometimes but u have rollback feature but still i prefer uninstall & fresh instal of a driver.

I never go to manufacture's site because last time I did I downloaded display driver and the screen went black and it would never fix or come back on.

Upvote 0

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I never go to manufacture's site because last time I did I downloaded display driver and the screen went black and it would never fix or come back on.
coz u download wrong driver or didn't give right system requirements to find accurate driver like wut AMD does or u didn't checked that the driver is compatibility with ur system or not. I never heard before that someone get driver problems after downloading from manufacture site, even i flash my bios, downloading rom from manufactures site & never have any problem, u need to know wut u r doing :)

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I wish the manufacture's website would make a *offical* driver updater that knows what it is doing.
Some already do, AMD has an auto detect which updates all of its drivers, Acer and HP laptops has its own auto updater, Intel has driver update utility, many keyboards, mouse, audio and video cards have an auto update utility.

Enjoy!! :D

Upvote 0

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
coz u download wrong driver or didn't give right system requirements to find accurate driver like wut AMD does or u didn't checked that the driver is compatibility with ur system or not. I never heard before that someone get driver problems after downloading from manufacture site, even i flash my bios, downloading rom from manufactures site & never have any problem, u need to know wut u r doing :)

I downloaded the correct driver, but still don't know why it messed up the screen.

Upvote 0

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Some already do, AMD has an auto detect which updates all of its drivers, Acer and HP laptops has its own auto updater, Intel has driver update utility, many keyboards, mouse, audio and video cards have an auto update utility.

I never knew this o_O after all of these years.

Upvote 0

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I downloaded the correct driver, but still don't know why it messed up the screen.
maybe the driver is not fully supported ur system even it says it does in system requirements coz few bugs still not fixed i guess or u downloaded bet version or something bugged out during driver installation or the reasons are unknown for me :D

Reactions: WinXPert and Oxygen
Upvote 0

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Device Manager via Windows Updates is the best method for modern Windows other than just manually downloading your drivers from the manufacture support website, most have an auto detect tool which will always give you the correct drivers.

Driver Updater software can be dangerous, if they install the incorrect drivers then you system can become corrupted.

I never use them since most will not always give me the correct drivers for my motherboard and devices.

Always get your Intel or AMD motherboard drivers from the manufacture support website, none of the driver update software that I have tried have gave me the correct motherboard drivers. Some hardware doesn't require updated drivers, it is not unusual for your drivers to be 5 years old or older depending on the date your hardware was released.

Driver update software always tries to install the latest drivers even though your hardware or motherboard may not support them.
Check your hardware manufacture support site to determine if the latest drivers support your hardware before installing them.

For example my ASUS AMD motherboard was released in 2010 and the latest ASUS and AMD drivers does not support it.
It has never had any supported driver updates since it was released and everything works excellent.

Just randomly updating your drivers is never a good idea, only update if a problem exists, don't try to fix what is not broken.
The same applies to BIOS updates, only get them from your motherboard manufacture website, if they don't have any then there is none that will support your motherboard.

Perfect Advice:) . If your computer comes with inbuilt OS then Try using their own utility for Updating.
Capture.PNG

If Windows need some updates then it will be automatically detected and provide an option for updating.

Capture.PNG

If U want another option then i suggest u to use Device manager or Iobit ware :cool:

Reactions: Littlebits
Upvote 0

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
u can check update in AMD control manager too.
plus AMD driver autodetect says it couldn't connect to server, i even rules already created allow for binisoft firewall control & disable binisoft firewall controll too. God knows.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
u can check update in AMD control manager too.
plus AMD driver autodetect says it couldn't connect to server, i even rules already created allow for binisoft firewall control & disable binisoft firewall controll too. God knows.
It is probably Qihoo 360 blocking it, some AV's will detect Trojan activity since it downloads files.
It works fine on my system with Avast and Windows Firewall.

AMD control manager also will download updates like you said and usually does a good job.

Upvote 0

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
already disable it real time & closed it but it can't download it, i already facing problems with binisoft firewall control. btw, it tells me t o downlaod a new version but can't say clearly that it's beta but AMD control manager will tells that update is beta or not. second thing i downloaded again stable release manually & found everything is up to date, guess the AMD driver auto detect was pointing towards beta version, that's why i stop using auto update manager from manufacture site.

Upvote 0

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
my HP have it's own app to check for updates. @Littlebits thanks for the AMD link.

Driver Update apps are not really that accurate when updating, sometimes they shove in a generic incompatible driver when you update. Learned that the hard way with DPS, good think there was a restore point

Reactions: Littlebits
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.