Troubleshoot Driver updater

ismethere

Level 8
Verified
May 9, 2014
I did use Driver Genius (paid) for a while but now I update my drivers manually!
Other members may have a better option for you!:)
absolutely you're right, Me just use this follow this Link so far it's work for me
no mistaken Driver updates. On page Check as your needs. Give it a try...
PS: they will detect your driver, etc (auto detect) or you can choose manually.

Reactions: Venustus
Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Device Manager.
Device Manager via Windows Updates is the best method for modern Windows other than just manually downloading your drivers from the manufacture support website, most have an auto detect tool which will always give you the correct drivers.

Driver Updater software can be dangerous, if they install the incorrect drivers then you system can become corrupted.

I never use them since most will not always give me the correct drivers for my motherboard and devices.

Always get your Intel or AMD motherboard drivers from the manufacture support website, none of the driver update software that I have tried have gave me the correct motherboard drivers. Some hardware doesn't require updated drivers, it is not unusual for your drivers to be 5 years old or older depending on the date your hardware was released.

Driver update software always tries to install the latest drivers even though your hardware or motherboard may not support them.
Check your hardware manufacture support site to determine if the latest drivers support your hardware before installing them.

For example my ASUS AMD motherboard was released in 2010 and the latest ASUS and AMD drivers does not support it.
It has never had any supported driver updates since it was released and everything works excellent.

Just randomly updating your drivers is never a good idea, only update if a problem exists, don't try to fix what is not broken.
The same applies to BIOS updates, only get them from your motherboard manufacture website, if they don't have any then there is none that will support your motherboard.

Enjoy!! :D

Upvote 0

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Device Manager via Windows Updates is the best method for modern Windows other than just manually downloading your drivers from the manufacture support website, most have an auto detect tool which will always give you the correct drivers.

Driver Updater software can be dangerous, if they install the incorrect drivers then you system can become corrupted.

I never use them since most will not always give me the correct drivers for my motherboard and devices.

Always get your Intel or AMD motherboard drivers from the manufacture support website, none of the driver update software that I have tried have gave me the correct motherboard drivers. Some hardware doesn't require updated drivers, it is not unusual for your drivers to be 5 years old or older depending on the date your hardware was released.

Driver update software always tries to install the latest drivers even though your hardware or motherboard may not support them.
Check your hardware manufacture support site to determine if the latest drivers support your hardware before installing them.

For example my ASUS AMD motherboard was released in 2010 and the latest ASUS and AMD drivers does not support it.
It has never had any supported driver updates since it was released and everything works excellent.

Just randomly updating your drivers is never a good idea, only update if a problem exists, don't try to fix what is not broken.
The same applies to BIOS updates, only get them from your motherboard manufacture website, if they don't have any then there is none that will support your motherboard.

I've never received driver updates via windows updates, but is there any chance that device manager will give you the wrong driver? I've thought about this many times but never came up with a answer.

Anyways I noticed something strange about these "Driver update" software.... It detects that I still require driver downloads even when I downloaded them via device manager does this mean that the driver updater is detecting wrong driver?

Upvote 0

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Device manager never worked for me in window 7/8. it always show my driver is up to date even window update made my driver faulty before, so why i prefer downloading from manufacture site :D

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I've never received driver updates via windows updates, but is there any chance that device manager will give you the wrong driver? I've thought about this many times but never came up with a answer.

Anyways I noticed something strange about these "Driver update" software.... It detects that I still require driver downloads even when I downloaded them via device manager does this mean that the driver updater is detecting wrong driver?
I have never had Device Manager give me the incorrect driver but if you don't already have a copy of the latest supported driver in Windows Driver Cache it might not always give you the latest support drivers. Windows by default saves copies of drivers in case for some reason you need to rollback. Go to your manufacture website and see if the driver update supports your hardware, don't believe any third-party driver update program.

Upvote 0

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I have never had Device Manager give me the incorrect driver but if you don't already have a copy of the latest supported driver in Windows Driver Cache it might not always give you the latest support drivers. Windows by default saves copies of drivers in case for some reason you need to rollback. Go to your manufacture website and see if the driver update supports your hardware, don't believe any third-party driver update program.

I wish the manufacture's website would make a *offical* driver updater that knows what it is doing.

Upvote 0

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I assume they are up to date then?
Nope coz i found latest AMD driver in their manufacture website, so device manager failed to detect it ( in window 7) plus now i'm run device manager again to update my graphic driver, it found update & starts to update it, but it didn't tell me that latest AMD graphic driver is in beta not stable, that's why i don't use it, beta drivers can cause system instability. Plus updating driver over existing drive can cause problem sometimes but u have rollback feature but still i prefer uninstall & fresh instal of a driver.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.