Solved Drivers missing after a Windows 8 Pro x64 UEFI Install on a Lenovo Z580 ideapad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
I just formatted and installed.
Drivers missing after a Windows 8 Pro x64 UEFI Install

Here is a snapshot:

ozicR.png

1) Why Windows UEFI'ed installed couln't be able to detect THOSE 3 DEVICES thus INSTALLING THEIR DRIVERS?

2) Windows Legacy Instaled misses not only 3 but 6 devices.

3) Last but not least, although identified my wireless card (BroadCom 802.11n) hence Wi-Fi drivers are installed by Windows 8 themselves, by connection speed is way to slow........

HELP and explain please!!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Lenovo Z580 comes with Windows 8 preinstalled, I don't understand what you were trying to achieve? :huh:

Is this after converting to GPT / UEFI . Am bit confused.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Earth said:
Lenovo Z580 comes with Windows 8 preinstalled, I don't understand what you were trying to achieve? :huh:

He formatted all original partitions of its laptop (including the recovery one that contains its original shipped Win8) , so i this Win8 is not the original one , so the missing drivers...

Nikos said:
1) Why Windows UEFI'ed installed couln't be able to detect THOSE 3 DEVICES thus INSTALLING THEIR DRIVERS?
3) Last but not least, although identified my wireless card (BroadCom 802.11n) hence Wi-Fi drivers are installed by Windows 8 themselves, by connection speed is way to slow........

1- Because if your hardware is not listed in Win8 available drivers, you will not have the proper drivers.
2- same reason as above.
3- Windows 8 common installer, install generic drivers, not the ones optimized for your hardware.

Go to the Lenovo websites and get the correct drivers.

No offense but you should stop messing around with your system, and learn first; it is evident, after reading all your posts and issues, that you don't have the necessary skills/knowledge to properly execute on-the-fly such tasks.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

iPanik said:
Your laptop came with Windows 8, so why not use those drivers?

He deleted all partitions (even the hidden one containing his original shipped Win8) and doesn't have any recovery disks.

Upvote 0

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Hmm. Arent those recovery drives password protected? My Uncles HCL Laptop has it and it is password protected. The default password is shiped with the CD manual.
But it is risky deleting the recovery partition. And did you get the Windows8 install disk seperately?
If not order it from lenovo.

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012

1- Because if your hardware is not listed in Win8 available drivers, you will not have the proper drivers.
2- same reason as above.
3- Windows 8 common installer, install generic drivers, not the ones optimized for your hardware.

1. Why would a brand new Lenovo NOT be listed in Win8's embedded driver list? and how come some parts of lenoivo were correctly identified?
2. Same reason yes... BUT Legacy installation missed 6 drivers while uefi missed only 3. Reason...?
3. Why MS provides generic drivers and not specific-per-hardware part drivers so that my wireless card would have been correct identfied, thus working as expected?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Are you serious when asking those questions? did you ever fixed a computer?

1- Because Lenovo just assemble the computers, they don't create the various hardwares...
2- Ask Microsoft.
3 -Because Microsoft has better to do than developing drivers for every piece of hardware available in the world...this is the manufacturers' job, not Microsoft.

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
3. Totally Agreed.

i) BUT it leaves unpexplained how the most hardware parts of a laptop are being specific identified by Windows while others cannot be identified.

ii) Why Windows 8's Update doesn't serach the web per hardware_id to find and install the missing drivers for the unspecified device?

iii) Whats that usb2.0-crw device i still see good for? windows works without it ok.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Nikos said:
What's Window's Update purpose for? if not to detect missing hardware drivers?

:lolz: seriously? i should ask you 10euros, as you do for your customers, for each replies i gave you :D

Honestly, you have Google "Just do it"

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
Your replies are not deep, to justify payment! :)
You know WHAT needs to be done to find a solution to something, but also you don't seem to know WHY that solution worked - no offense.

If you know just answer me, couldn't find a reply to that on google.

Windows itself in devices list ask you to use windows update to find the missing drivers for a device but never ever successfully detects one!!!

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows Updates are for keeping the Windows OS secure & updated (obviously).

If you would like additional Microsoft Updates, enable it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/901037

There is nothing wrong or incorrect about Windows using generic drivers, but as said before visit Lenovo's site for Windows 8 drivers for any that you are missing.

Remember it's still early days for Windows 8 on hardware manufacturers, it's probably not a standard requirement to use UEFI / GPT etc. Who knows.

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
I Win Updates were ONLY for keeping the OS secure then, why when one hit driver update on device listing win tries to update that devices driver by looking over the internet and never ever detects any.....

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Because you are requesting Windows to Search the Internet for an Driver Update. I can do that from the Device Manager and get zero hits.

If you download & extract the Driver package from the Developers website, and ask Windows to Search & Update from that location, I'm sure you'll have a hit -if the system doesn't already have the latest version installed.

Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
How about Windows (which, can't have drivers for each piece of hardware embedded in DVD)
looking over my developer's site and download - install/update the missing drivers by themselves?

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Most generic drivers are okay, unless you may receive a notification via the Action Center.

See screenshot in attachment area below.

Attachments

• driver.png
    driver.png
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,200
Upvote 0

Nikos

Thread author
Jul 19, 2012
Earth said:
Most generic drivers are okay, unless you may receive a notification via the Action Center.

They are not ok.

generic driver != optimized driver

Proof: Win8 identified my wireless adaptor and installed driver for it, BUT, my connection speed sucks bigtime.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.