Advice Request Dubox.com cloud storage is safe?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

superboy123

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
May 1, 2012
hello everyone, may i know if anyone had tried using Dubox service free cloud backup until 1TB?. I want to use it for alternative google photo but, worry about their privacy.

dubox 2.png

dubox.png

dubox 3.png

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Its owner is Baidu who aren't known for good privacy. Its still in beta so can't be sure if 1TB storage will still be available in future after beta period is over. With that said, I don't care for privacy that much so I've made 2 accounts already.

Some information from this reddit thread:
Dubox: 1TB cloud storage for free, unlimited up/down speed and slot. : DataHoarder (reddit.com)

• Free 1T storage, unlimited speed, unlimited upload and download per day.
  • Still in early access stage, TOS and various details are rudimentary.
  • Operated by PopIn, subsidiary of Baidu Japan. It's unclear whether Popin will be infected with the rogue habits of Baidu China.
Baidu China tricked chinese cloud storage users into uploading colossal measures of data by 2T clould storage, advantageous features (supporting remote url upload, ed2k link and torrent) and guarantee of permanent free, making other rivals in china bankrupt, and afterward one day, a couple of years back, unexpectedly and without earlier declaration, restricting download speed of free users to ~10k/s. Users have to pay even if they just wanna get their data back.
  • Whether the data is stored in Japan or China is unclear.
  • Still worth trying, as long as no using it store important, unbacked up files.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
1.png
the connection is now secure

Some early feedbacks:
- Super fast upload speed in my country, better than most other services (Google drive is still the fastest)
- Now, there are only web dashboard and phone apps, nothing else. No synchronizing app
- Limitation: maximum 300 files can be uploaded simultaneously. We must wait until it finishes and start a new upload session

I tried other cloud services. I dislike most of them due to the lagginess in the UI, slow speed or they are not user-friendly (Degoo cloud). I only stick to google ecosystem

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
So they setup SSL right away after seeing the previous comment such a red flag for a service where you're supossed to trust them your data
at least they have it now. Perhaps, the screenshot was taken in beta so their cetificate was not approved yet, I don't know
I know they are from CN so I don't upload sensitive/identifiable data to their server. They offer 1TB for free, I can't resist because I don't mind about privacy scares anymore

Need to know

Jan 14, 2021
It seems that data uploaded from your device will also be deleted if you delete the app. Has anyone experienced this? Or were they unfortunate flukes?

Reactions: roger_m

Need to know

Jan 14, 2021
hello everyone, may i know if anyone had tried using Dubox service free cloud backup until 1TB?. I want to use it for alternative google photo but, worry about their privacy.

I have yet to find adequate free storage space to compensate for G-photos. Those external storage chips are starting to look really good.

Peace

Reactions: Venustus

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I have yet to find adequate free storage space to compensate for G-photos. Those external storage chips are starting to look really good.

Peace
you can try Yandex disk
it offers unlimited storage for photos, but not videos
for videos, youtube or dubox are not bad choices

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.