Troubleshoot Edge says "this setting is managed by your organisation". How do I change this ?

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
described in post
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
described in post
I went to change some privacy settings in Edge and was prevented from doing so. It says '"this setting is managed by your organisation".

Its my own home PC running Windows Pro 10. This problem occurs in the Standard User Account I use for day-to-day activity. I also have an Admin account which I rarely use. The problem does not occur in the Admin account.

I have tried changing the Standard User Account to an Admin account to see if that solves the problem. It doesn't !

I don't think it was like this when I originally installed Windows. Its obviously being caused by a setting or something I have done. I am fairly confident its not Malware. The only thing I can think of is that I have run O&O Shut-Up 10 in the past. But I somehow doubt it is responsible for this problem.

Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this ?

Capture.jpg

Solution
Thanks very much for the replies !

I have a 'clean' Windows install saved as a Macrium image. I temporarily restored this image and tried out Edge. None of the settings were 'manged by my organisation'. I then ran O&O Shut Up 10 and applied all recommended actions. As you all confirmed this caused the 'manged by my organisation' icon to appear next to various Edge settings. Good job I mentioned O&O Shut Up 10 in my original post- it was just an afterthought.

I then went back to current Windows 10 system to see if I could fix the problem with any of the solutions above.

Creating a new Edge profile did not work.
Installing O&O Shut Up 10 and unchecking all of the system tweaks did not work. **see edit below...

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
only thing I can think of is that I have run O&O Shut-Up 10 in the past.
Technically this can be the problem, or a Policy in the GPO you have active in the OS. You have to realize O&O shutup, and by de facto other programs like it, change registry keys where some may actually be linked to a policy switch of a GPO policy. I advise to only use such programs if you know exactly which switch effects what and where you can find the setting manually. And of course, accept the consequence that some might be linked internally to both unwanted and wanted features/settings.

I would first look at O&O shutup and do a restore and see if that fixes it. Then you at least have that ruled out. Other places I would look is in GPO policies for edge and edge://flags. Have you tried creating a new edge profile to see if it just effects current profile?

Upvote 0

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Thanks very much for the replies !

I have a 'clean' Windows install saved as a Macrium image. I temporarily restored this image and tried out Edge. None of the settings were 'manged by my organisation'. I then ran O&O Shut Up 10 and applied all recommended actions. As you all confirmed this caused the 'manged by my organisation' icon to appear next to various Edge settings. Good job I mentioned O&O Shut Up 10 in my original post- it was just an afterthought.

I then went back to current Windows 10 system to see if I could fix the problem with any of the solutions above.

Creating a new Edge profile did not work.
Installing O&O Shut Up 10 and unchecking all of the system tweaks did not work. **see edit below
Editing the registry did not appear to work either.

However- I then had an idea.

I went back to my 'clean' install of Windows and opened O&O Shut Up 10 but did not make any changes. I exported the existing settings to an O&O configuration file, which I saved on a USB. I then went back to my current system and changed it from a Standard User Account to and Administrator account. Next I downloaded O&O, imported the configuration file from the 'clean' system and applied the changes. After a re-boot, Edge was working normally again.

I'm still going to run O&O Shut Up10 because it does a useful job. But I shall be careful about what settings I choose to alter in future. Its a shame we have a need for this software at all- I think its outrageous how these companies like to spy on their customers and its time governments stopped this from happening.

Anyway- thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Very much appreciated !!

** in retrospect that might have worked if I had firstly changed my SUA account into Admin account. (Running Shutup10 as an administrator within an SUA account does not have the same effect). PS- The suggested registry fix didn't work within an admin account however.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
Solution

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.