Ehaslev config

Ehaslev

Thread author
Apr 16, 2014
Above are my configurations as far as I know. I am in search of a new antivirus/malware software as I am not happy with Norton 360. It is rather expensive and it does not do a good job at catching malware. Which software would you recommend?

S

starchild76

hello thanks for sharing your config here! do you want a free or paid solution? if free then 360 total security combined with online armor free firewall maybe a good combo , if you like a very tweakble product and if you have sufficient amount of knowledge than comodo internet security might be a great choice. if you want a paid product : kaspersky , emsisoft or eset are great to have. you can join the giveways to get a chance to win a free license for a year :)

Reactions: nissimezra

noladevildog

Level 1
Verified
Jan 11, 2015
I would HIGHLY recommend MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) for your A/V, and the free version of MWB (MalewareBytes) [the paid version adds real time protection]

I would also recommend using multiple accounts, with passwords, on your machine per regular user. Do not enable the Guest Account for non-regular users but rather create an single account for them and password it.

Something else I would recommend would be some type of browser protection.
Adblock Plus or µBlock for basic protection. If you are feeling powerful and up to learning something new, HTTP Switchboard is a catch all in my opinion; be warned, it has a learning curve, but it isn't THAT bad.

Last edited:

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
For the best free antivirus software, I recommend 360 Total Security or Avast free antivirus 2015
If you're looking for a great paid antivirus, then I would recommend either ESET NOD32 or Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

For on-demand scanners I would recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware & HitmanPro.

Have a nice day! :)

Reactions: starchild76

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
You can try a multitude of free and paid versions of Antivirus or Security Suites.There is a 4 month ESET promo in the giveaway section you could grab a license there and give either ESET Smart Security 8 or ESET Nod32 AV a try.If you want to try it PM me
Avast Free + Windows Firewall + Sandboxie free is a very good free combo
I would consider installing Sandboxie free no matter what Security program you decide upon
I would also consider an on demand scanner(s) such as Malwarebytes Antimalware free,Herd protect and or Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Some other backup solution and CCleaner or Privazer if you dont already have one or both installed
Definitely adding some extensions to Chrome such as uBlock or AdBlock +,HTTPS Everywhere and WOT
I would also suggest either using the Norton removal tool when you uninstall Norton or a 3rd party uninstaller such as Revo or Iobit uninstaller that removes all leftover items

Ehaslev

Thread author
Apr 16, 2014
Thanks for lots of good suggestions. I feel a little overwhelmed with all the suggestions, but will start setting up some of the free and promo solutions to get started.

I really appraciate all the support :)

noladevildog

Level 1
Verified
Jan 11, 2015
Thanks for lots of good suggestions. I feel a little overwhelmed with all the suggestions, but will start setting up some of the free and promo solutions to get started.

I really appraciate all the support :)

Take your time and read. Google is your friend. :)
I, and I am sure the rest of the usual members of this forum, will be here if you need some assistance or have any questions. Don't hesitate!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For Backup and Recovery if you have USB/External HDD much better so it can be easy accessible in case of emergency happen.

As been mentioned on demand scanners is another vital components to scan once a week, two starters program is fine already.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.