EICAR Test file

• Thread starter Deleted member 178
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Who needs the Anti-Malware Testfile

(read the complete text, it contains important information)
Version of 7 September 2006

If you are active in the anti-virus research field, then you will regularly receive requests for virus samples. Some requests are easy to deal with: they come from fellow-researchers whom you know well, and whom you trust. Using strong encryption, you can send them what they have asked for by almost any medium (including across the Internet) without any real risk.

Other requests come from people you have never heard from before. There are relatively few laws (though some countries do have them) preventing the secure exchange of viruses between consenting individuals, though it is clearly irresponsible for you simply to make viruses available to anyone who asks. Your best response to a request from an unknown person is simply to decline politely.

A third set of requests come from exactly the people you might think would be least likely to want viruses "users of anti-virus software". They want some way of checking that they have deployed their software correctly, or of deliberately generating a "virus incident in order to test their corporate procedures, or of showing others in the organisation what they would see if they were hit by a virus".

Link: http://www.eicar.org/86-0-Intended-use.html
Download : http://www.eicar.org/85-0-Download.html

my test:

Comodo IS : detect at the downloading
EAM: detected when unzipped
Webroot SA: not detected (or maybe whitelisted), anyway not signaled.

i invite you to post your results :p

eXPerience

Level 1
Mar 7, 2011
i invite you to post your results

PlaceboAV : not detected :focus:

but seriously though, any 'real' av should be able to detect the well known EICAR files...

eXp

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Probably if someone suggest like on a AV forum that EICAR must be add on definition. :lol:

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Well TAFE detected it when I was downloading it.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I remember when I'm in the hospital before.

Attempted to download EICAR then the webguard that was powered by Blue Coat Systems and also sponsored by local hospital.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.