Advice Request EIS Network Protection questions

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

cookinpro

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2013
I am using ESET Internet Security 14.1.19.0 Connected Home has 2 devices that are not part of my network as far as I know. I have tried to track down the IP addresses. One of them was located in LA, California and the second was untraceable and listed as a private ip address, further research labeled the ip address as a bogon ip address (sometimes referred to as a martian address)

An ESET pop-up gives me the option to : Continue blocking this type of event? Which I click on to continue blocking. ESET tells me that they (at least one, are: duplicate IP addresses on network)

Are these devices/notifications malicious and if so how do I remove them from my network?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-06 130029.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-06 130029.png
    72.5 KB · Views: 487
  • Screenshot 2021-05-14 175727.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-14 175727.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 442
Reactions: Kongo and Nevi

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
Arris device should be your cable modem. Do you use one to connect to internet? Do you have NAT and firewall enabled?
1.1.1.2 is IP address of CloudFlare DNS server.
It would help if you described what's your network setting (which devices you use to connect to net) but I think that you don't have to worry about those two events.

cookinpro

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2013
Arris device should be your cable modem. Do you use one to connect to internet? Do you have NAT and firewall enabled?
1.1.1.2 is IP address of CloudFlare DNS server.
It would help if you described what's your network setting (which devices you use to connect to net) but I think that you don't have to worry about those two events.
I have a Bell Home Hub 3000 or Sagemcom FASTFast 5566 ADSL/VDSL modem. The Arris device is a Bell DVR WiFi
The ESET firewall is enabled. I am not familiar with NAT settings, they may be enabled, Im not sure where they are located.

Reactions: plat and Kongo

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I am using ESET Internet Security 14.1.19.0 Connected Home has 2 devices that are not part of my network as far as I know. I have tried to track down the IP addresses. One of them was located in LA, California and the second was untraceable and listed as a private ip address, further research labeled the ip address as a bogon ip address (sometimes referred to as a martian address)

An ESET pop-up gives me the option to : Continue blocking this type of event? Which I click on to continue blocking. ESET tells me that they (at least one, are: duplicate IP addresses on network)

Are these devices/notifications malicious and if so how do I remove them from my network?
If you are sure that this device is not one of your devices, you can set it on the blacklist of your Router. Just type in your Router IP in a browser of choice and enter your Router password etc. In the settings should be such an option. Best would be to reset your network completely and create a new network password.

Reactions: plat

cookinpro

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2013
If you are sure that this device is not one of your devices, you can set it on the blacklist of your Router. Just type in your Router IP in a browser of choice and enter your Router password etc. In the settings should be such an option. Best would be to reset your network completely and create a new network password.
It seems that cloudflare is beneficial overall, and that it comes added by some isp's. What I would like to know is why cloudflare appears to come and go. It was last detected 5 hours ago and will re-appear on my network randomly throughout the day. I would think it would be operating on a consistent basis

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.