Basic Security Electr0n's Old Laptop security configuration (+Work PC)

Electr0n

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
this is my security setup for my old laptop which I use for day to day browsing, email etc. Along with Avast free it runs comodo firewall (CS settings) and Appcheck anti-ransomware free.
Update: Removed Voodooshield.
Most recent changes:
04/01/2018

Operating System:

Windows 10

OS Edition:
Home

OS Build:
Fall Creators Update version 1709

OS Architecture:
64-bit

User Access Control:
Always Notfiy

Firewall:
Windows Firewall

OS Security Updates:
Automatic Updates

OS File Reputation:

SmartScreen for Windows 10

Type of User Account:
Microsoft Account

Recent Malware Attacks:
No

Testing AV's with Malware Samples:
No

Real-time Malware Protection:
Eset nod 32 with voodooshield free in always on mode

On-demand Scanners:
Hitman pro, Malwarebytes Antimalware

Security Product Settings:
Custom

Browsers and Extensions:
Chrome with Ublock origin and norton safesearch(Rare use)
Firefox with ublock origin, Bitdefender traffic light, Print friendly pdf, Magic actions for YouTube, NoCoin

Preferred Search Engine:
Startpage

Password Manager:
LastPass

Content Blocker (Ads, Scripts, Trackers):
Ublock origin

Frequently used System Utilities:
CCleaner

Frequency of Data Backups:
Daily Backups

Data Backup Software:
Google drive

Frequency of System Image Backups:
Automatic / Scheduled Backups

System Image Backup Software:
Easeus todo free

Last edited:

Electr0n

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
Your old note pc settings and my slightly new looking desktop pc settings are pretty similar.

Thanks for sharing!(y)
I have been using this setup for last 1 year. And that laptop is almost 5 years old. So far this setup is light weight, and good. So I think you might be getting even better results on your newer machine.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Very nice light setup!

Add some extensions/add-ons:

Privacy Defense (both)
BehindTheOverlay (both)
Redirect Control (FF)
BitBlock (FF)
Restart (FF)
Alert Control (Chrome)
Dark Background and Light Text (FF)
High Contrast (Chrome, tick Increased Contrast...)

if you wish

D

Deleted member 65228

I'd say your system is not secure but only for a few reasons.
a). You're using Windows 7 which is an old OS now. You'd be more secure using Windows 10 due to the internal security improvements.
b). You're using a 32-bit environment. You may not have a choice in this due to potential hardware limitations however 64-bit environments are a lot more secure than 32-bit environments.

Due to usage of Windows 7, you miss out on built-in security improvements regarding system processes protection, virtualisation, system-wide SmartScreen implementation, PatchGuard (Driver Signature Enforcement and Kernel Patch Protection), among many other things, and stability overall.

It doesn't matter what your configuration is, if you don't keep your system up-to-date, you won't be "protected". It neither matters if Windows 7 is still officially supported or not, it won't be given many things that Windows 10 has security-wise. A government agency could design your security configuration and you'd still be insecure if you were using an old OS. The entire security configuration only works when everything is in-order, and the OS being up-to-date is a huge and important factor in this. A good, layered protection configuration works by combining multiple techniques and it exceeds outside the scope of downloading and installing security software - one commonly mentioned and well-known one by many on this forum along not to mention many cyber-security professionals in the industry is to keep software up-to-date with the latest version, and the OS counts as software.

I understand that there can be reasons as to why you might not want to use Windows 10 though. Privacy invasion and bloatware are probably two very big ones. Other reasons could be dislike for the UI if you have different preferences to flat/metro UI.

I can see that you did mention it's an old laptop and you're also using anti-executable but I just felt like it'd be not very nice of me not to mention this in-case you weren't already aware, given that this seems to be your own personal system.

Thanks for sharing :)

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I understand that there can be reasons as to why you might not want to use Windows 10 though. Privacy invasion and bloatware are probably two very big ones. Other reasons could be dislike for the UI if you have different preferences to flat/metro UI.
Another reason is that some old devices don't work well with Windows 10. Like mine.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Another reason is that some old devices don't work well with Windows 10. Like mine.

Likewise, i was just about to take the plunge a couple of weeks ago but luckily/unluckily i believe they have stopped the free upgrade as of mid january sometime and then a very trusted member here told me that with my old hardware it would have more than likely caused me a lot of problems so i'm still sticking with my old W7 until i literally don't have a choice :rolleyes:

Electr0n

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
I'd say your system is not secure but only for a few reasons.
a). You're using Windows 7 which is an old OS now. You'd be more secure using Windows 10 due to the internal security improvements.
b). You're using a 32-bit environment. You may not have a choice in this due to potential hardware limitations however 64-bit environments are a lot more secure than 32-bit environments.

Due to usage of Windows 7, you miss out on built-in security improvements regarding system processes protection, virtualisation, system-wide SmartScreen implementation, PatchGuard (Driver Signature Enforcement and Kernel Patch Protection), among many other things, and stability overall.

It doesn't matter what your configuration is, if you don't keep your system up-to-date, you won't be "protected". It neither matters if Windows 7 is still officially supported or not, it won't be given many things that Windows 10 has security-wise. A government agency could design your security configuration and you'd still be insecure if you were using an old OS. The entire security configuration only works when everything is in-order, and the OS being up-to-date is a huge and important factor in this. A good, layered protection configuration works by combining multiple techniques and it exceeds outside the scope of downloading and installing security software - one commonly mentioned and well-known one by many on this forum along not to mention many cyber-security professionals in the industry is to keep software up-to-date with the latest version, and the OS counts as software.

I can see that you did mention it's an old laptop and you're also using anti-executable but I just felt like it'd be not very nice of me not to mention this in-case you weren't already aware, given that this seems to be your own personal system.

Thanks for sharing :)
Thanks for the feedback opcode. I actually have another new laptop which is on windows 10, I do all my sensitive work there, and this machine is only for browsing and entertainment etc. I also have a love-hate relationship with windows 10. I think should post the new laptop config here too, just in case it needs anything.

Electr0n

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
Likewise, i was just about to take the plunge a couple of weeks ago but luckily/unluckily i believe they have stopped the free upgrade as of mid january sometime and then a very trusted member here told me that with my old hardware it would have more than likely caused me a lot of problems so i'm still sticking with my old W7 until i literally don't have a choice :rolleyes:
If this machine works after windows 7 support runs out, I will be ready for an adventure in the Linuxland.

Electr0n

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
Very nice light setup!

Add some extensions/add-ons:

Privacy Defense (both)
BehindTheOverlay (both)
Redirect Control (FF)
BitBlock (FF)
Restart (FF)
Alert Control (Chrome)
Dark Background and Light Text (FF)
High Contrast (Chrome, tick Increased Contrast...)

if you wish
I will check out those, however if you use f.lux then it has a "darkroom mode" which is very easy on eyes. You can use it instead of dark background light text add on for long duration reading.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
I will check out those, however if you use f.lux then it has a "darkroom mode" which is very easy on eyes. You can use it instead of dark background light text add on for long duration reading.
yes but but...
"Dark Background and Light Text" has better text contrast so better visibility, and you're able to change color of inbound links etc, compare and come back

... and add "Disable WebRTC" (FF)
Modal Remover (Chrome)
...check "Font Contrast Fix" (FF) if you have some time

Last edited:

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I think there's still some way to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Microsoft said they ended accessibility "loophole" but I read somewhere you can still update it.
I had updated to Windows 10 years ago just in case and then reverted back ;) I was thinking of giving 10 another chance again but got too lazy to update :p

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Nice config. But MalwareTips doesn't allow an user to make two or more security config threads, only one is allowed per year. The moderators will delete or merge them when they see it.
Edit: One config for computer plus one config for your phone if you want to.

Electr0n

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
Nice config. But MalwareTips doesn't allow an user to make two or more security config threads, only one is allowed per year. The moderators will delete or merge them when they see it.
Edit: One config for computer plus one config for your phone if you want to.
Oh well in that case I am not sure how the setup for two different machines can be reflected on a same post.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.