vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Review by Jason Evangelho

As part of my journey into the expansive and exciting world of Linux desktops, I've been engaging in a behavior known as "distro hopping." I'm sure many Linux users have their personal reasons for doing this, but for me it's fueled in equal parts by curiosity and knowledge hunting. So recently, I (temporarily) left the comfortable embrace of Ubuntu to discover the different philosophies and approaches developers have to designing a Linux OS. One of my first stops was Elementary OS 0.4.1. Loki.

https___blogs-images.forbes.com_jasonevangelho_files_2018_09_Screenshot-from-2018-09-10-15.36....png

Elementary OS describes itself as a "fast and open" replacement to macOS and Windows. While most Linux distributions are fast and open alternatives to the mainstream desktop operating systems from Apple and Microsoft, well, only one set of those users will feel completely at home with Elementary OS.

Full Article Elementary OS First Impressions: A Simple, Beautiful Doorway To Linux

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
I have tried Ubuntu before and was not very comfortable with it. Elementary OS, on the other hand, seems a good distribution. How is the support of hardware in this OS? I mean Ubuntu was not able to detect my Wireless card the last time I had it installed. Can I run it alongside Windows 10?
Thanks for sharing :)

AriDfoix

Level 3
Verified
Sep 2, 2018
Al-Faqir you can try with latest LTS live cd if that happen still today? If Ubuntu Unity is not good I agree, why not try Ubuntu Mate or Ubuntu Budgie?

Regards ;)

Probably your wireless card is supported by Linux Kernel 4.18.6, if you want, you may also try Manjaro, even if not Debian based, but Archlinux based, probably a newer linux kernel will support your wireless card. :)

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
Al-Faqir you can try with latest LTS live cd if that happen still today? If Ubuntu Unity is not good I agree, why not try Ubuntu Mate or Ubuntu Budgie?

Regards ;)

Probably your wireless card is supported by Linux Kernel 4.18.6, if you want, you may also try Manjaro, even if not Debian based, but Archlinux based, probably a newer linux kernel will support your wireless card. :)
I am downloading it right now!

AriDfoix

Level 3
Verified
Sep 2, 2018
A little addon, I don't like fanboys that try this: I am on Linux, now you on Windows should try Linux, personally I like certain parts of various OS.

Forcing something never work, is a journey, that must be done alone, discovering new ways, I think :)

About drivers and feeling of the OS, same apply on Linux; some systems are really good out of the box Al-Faqir, others need a bit of time to tweak like you want.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
[QUOTE="About drivers and feeling of the OS, same apply on Linux; some systems are really good out of the box Al-Faqir, others need a bit of time to tweak like you want.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. For a Windows user, who has no acquaintance with Linux in general, it is not easy to get everything working as you want. You know, Linux is not used widely and its user base is less than 25% of the user base (not official number :D), so it is expected to experience issues like missing drivers and whatsover. I will Elementary OS a try and I hope "the journey" will be a good one.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

They all have bugs and upsides/downsides I guess. Nevermind the tribulations with getting them to work right on new hardware.

I use Debian on a single secured, air-gapped LEGACY laptop for password changes. Gentoo is another favorite and once emerged becomes versionless. Mageia is another favorite of mine because of the security offered. But I've rarely had full success running any Linux Distro on modern, latest hardware, and the kernals rarely adapt to some of the newer tech without work.

Otherwise, it's nice on legacy hardware IMO.

Al-Faqir

Level 8
Verified
Jul 24, 2018
I have downloaded Elementary OS iso and ran the live CD. What I found so far is:

1- I like the appearance of the OS very much.
2- The Desktop is well organised.
3- Unfortunately I am hearing a static noise coming from my PC's internal speakers. (Conexant Audio driver). Honestly, I do have issues with sound on Windows 10 but it is even worse on Linux.

I have decided to install Elementary OS alongside Windows 10. I also have a very old Asus Mini Laptop, it is a nice idea to have Elementary OS installed there too. For a few minutes try, it is not bad. I am sure I'll enjoy it more over the time.

D

Deleted member 178

Windows is like your wife, annoying, demanding , unattractive.

Linux is like your new mistress, attractive, make you discover a new world, make you feel younger.

But at the end, after playing enough with your mistress, you go back to your wife, because she do what you expect from her the way you like.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Distro hopping is the same as changing security softs every other day. And the end result is the same on the forums... spats between fanbois about "What is best distro ?"

One of the many reasons for Linux low penetration is its too much distros. Users and developers are all confused by different Linux flavors. If Linux was a singe version like Windows and Mac OS it could have had a better chance of success.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I have tried Ubuntu before and was not very comfortable with it. Elementary OS, on the other hand, seems a good distribution. How is the support of hardware in this OS? I mean Ubuntu was not able to detect my Wireless card the last time I had it installed. Can I run it alongside Windows 10?
Thanks for sharing :)
Within a span of few months most new hardware will be supported by Linux distro. I prefer Xubuntu/Ubuntu for absolute stability and used by many people.
Windows is like your wife, annoying, demanding , unattractive.

Linux is like your new mistress, attractive, make you discover a new world, make you feel younger.

But at the end, after playing enough with your mistress, you go back to your wife, because she do what you expect from her the way you like.
I love to have them both. Cannot leave them both! Although I love Linux for superb performance and Windows for gaming or part-time developing.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Used elementaryOS on my laptop for 2 days. My battery would die in 2-3 hours and it was a pain to connect to my schools WiFi. No thanks.
Use TLP, Linux firmware latest version,iGPU and speedshift(Skylake and above) for good battery life. Can manage just 8hrs just fine. I disabled turbo boost on battery and switch to speedshift power balance to squeeze out most battery life.
Its just 2-4hrs short of Windows battery runtimes.

Reactions: vtqhtr413 and 37507

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.