Emsisoft 2018.7: Improved File Guard Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
With this update, you will notice that the default scan level of Emsisoft Anti-Malware’s File Guard will change from the balanced middle option to the fastest option.

In previous versions, we had the following scan levels:

• Fast
  • Balanced (factory default)
  • Thorough

With version 2018.7 this changes to:

• Default (new factory default)
  • Thorough
  • Paranoid

We made this change for a good reason, which I would like to elaborate. Behind these three options lie a different technology:

• OnExecution scans: The first option basically only scans programs when they are getting started. While that keeps your computer free from active infections, downloaded inactive malware files may not be immediately detected.
  • OnModification scans: In addition, this option also scans any files that are newly created, such as downloads, but also any files that are modified by any program. In the past, that was the best method to catch all sorts of downloaded malware and script-/macro-based threats.
  • OnRead scans: In addition, this option also scans any files as they are being read by any program. On a typical PC, there are usually thousands of files being read in the background every minute, so this option naturally slows down the overall performance of your computer quite dramatically. We don’t recommend making use of it, but keep it available for those who want to be absolutely sure everything gets immediately detected without delays.

What we changed in 2018.7 is that we enhanced the OnExecution scan in a way that allows third-party programs and the Windows operating system to access our scanner technology too. Microsoft created specific interfaces called IOfficeAntivirus and AMSI that are used by most modern browsers, script interpreters, and Office programs to make sure the documents that are downloaded and opened do not contain any malware.

Chrome scanning downloads with Emsisoft Anti-Malware

With that being the new standard, we don’t see the need to scan all files during their creation or modification anymore but combine very fast performing OnExecution scans with those new extra scans coming from third-party applications.

You can still switch back to the middle option, but we recommend the first “Default” option for best detection and performance.

Experience the speed increase by yourself and don’t hesitate to provide us with feedback in the comments below!

All 2018.7 improvements in a nutshell

Emsisoft Anti-Malware

• Improved File Guard performance, changed default scan level.
  • Redesigned Protection menu panels.
  • Minor user interface changes.
  • Several minor tweaks and fixes.
Emsisoft Enterprise Console

• Several minor tweaks and fixes.
How to obtain the new version

As always, so long as you have auto-updates enabled in the software, you will receive the latest version automatically during your regularly scheduled updates, which are hourly by default. New users, please download the full installer from our product pages.

Note to Enterprise users: If you have chosen to receive “Delayed” updates in the Update settings for your clients, they will receive the new software version no earlier than 30 days after the regular “Stable” availability. This gives you time to perform internal compatibility tests before a new version gets rolled out to your clients automatically.

Have a great and well-protected day!

The post New in 2018.7: Improved File Guard Performance appeared first on Emsisoft | Security Blog.

Source: New in 2018.7: Improved File Guard Performance

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
With that being the new standard, we don’t see the need to scan all files during their creation or modification anymore but combine very fast performing OnExecution scans with those new extra scans coming from third-party applications.
...scan file
...use firewall
...use HIPS/BB
New standard - "we don't see the need".
:emoji_beer:

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Paranoid. :D IMO not the best word out there as it could sound like Emsisoft actually think there users are " Crazy ". :oops:

Most paranoid people aren't quite right. More issues than average. So take reality for what it is. However, the industry doesn't generally use the word paranoid in that context.

It's laughable that arguments have been made to not use the word... for the sake of "political correctness." Some people are so sensitive that they want to alter the fabric of everyday language and communications.

Emsisoft

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Jul 27, 2013
...scan file
...use firewall
...use HIPS/BB
New standard - "we don't see the need".

Efficiency is key. :)
Why bother people with features and settings that effectively have little to no effect on the actual level of protection? 'More functionality' isn't necessarily equal to 'more protection', especially when you have to assume that most people don't (want to) understand them anyway and just need a product that does the job.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Most paranoid people aren't quite right. More issues than average. So take reality for what it is. However, the industry doesn't generally use the word paranoid in that context.

It's laughable that arguments have been made to not use the word... for the sake of "political correctness." Some people are so sensitive that they want to alter the fabric of everyday language and communications.

We have a saying at Fortinet.. 'Paranoid are the best IT Engineers'. You haven't seen paranoid until you've seen the level of paranoid I have. But, when some of your critical clients have switched back to rooms of secured file cabinets and notepads, they could be construed as paranoid. But they 'know' what is really going on so they should be categorized as knowledgeable realists and everyone else as ignorants.

Paranoid is a fun word.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

PS: I'd love to roll with Emsisoft. But it's expensive for the number of PC's I need to cover and I can never seem to find a discount.

It's frustrating to say the least.

When i was Emsisoft Community Manager, i mailed you about some tailored deals we could propose you based on your needs, if i remember you wanted quite a large number of pc and mobile license, even notified the sales team but you didn't follow up...dont complain now...

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Agreed, the price tag is really high for what you're getting, especially compared to competitors.

The price is not only high, its extraordinarily high. I suspect they don't realize how this price is actually limiting their growth in a significant fashion. Sometimes it's OK to be a boutique product, but it's wise to run sales to peak interest. Heimdal has a much higher valuation and growth, and they practically give it away. They're opening a third office in a third country by the end of the year.

Cylance charges a fortune in the enterprise market, and even they knew you need to price your consumer offerings to be competitive. Even GData has learned, their 5+5 pack is a great deal now and covers a lot of devices.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I don't consider $ 42.00 a year Canadian with a 25% discount the second year going up to a 40% discount on the 4th year high.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I don't consider $ 42.00 a year Canadian with a 25% discount the second year going up to a 40% discount on the 4th year high.

Compared to other solutions? That's a lot. But start adding devices and watch that price go up. Who really has only one device anymore?

Let's say you have a family with 6 total desktops and laptops.. Emsisoft will run you $113.00 a year. That's as much as some enterprise offerings, and considerably more than the best consumer offices. (as in 3-5 times more)

Reactions: slash/
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

I don't know from where you guys get so astranomicaly high prices for Emsisoft. I am Emsisoft paid customer for 5+ years and have currently -50% discount on main license renewal, but can't show renewal price due to fact that license is ending in 2022 and Emsisoft doesn't allow anymore to purchase additional years for existing license, if it's not going to expire anytime soon. But I can buy new one WITHOUT discount for 1 device 1 year for about 9 Euro.
1.PNG

for 10 devices 1 year equals about 67 Euro.
1.PNG

@ForgottenSeer 58943 I can help you out if you need some :D

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
The update looks good.

In my case, 4 keys for 3 years = 80 euros without taxes or 6,7 € x computer x year.

If this is expensive...

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Compared to other solutions? That's a lot. But start adding devices and watch that price go up. Who really has only one device anymore?

Let's say you have a family with 6 total desktops and laptops.. Emsisoft will run you $113.00 a year. That's as much as some enterprise offerings, and considerably more than the best consumer offices. (as in 3-5 times more)

Fortunately I only have 1 device.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

Developing, maintaining and supporting security software is very expensive in the U.S., EU, Commonwealth Nations, Japan, etc. Prices for security software from companies based in those regions should be higher. At current price levels across the board, consumers are getting a whale of deal even at non-discount prices. Not to mention that publishers based in regions where their costs are lower with a depressed native currency, but price and sell in dollars and euros make a huge profit gain on the exchange rate. So they can afford to undercut the market because they are making out anyway.

The price of enterprise security softs should be really expensive. The associated sales, maintenance and support costs are extremely high.

No one complains about Adobe Acrobat at $179.99 per year or $14.99 per month for a single seat license - and that soft flies off the shelves. Adobe sells it across the world on a large scale to both home users and enterprises. The importance of a security soft and the associated costs to the publisher are much higher compared to a PDF soft.

This example just goes to show where peoples' priorities lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.