Emsisoft 2018.7: Improved File Guard Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Developing, maintaining and supporting security software is very expensive in the U.S., EU, Commonwealth Nations, Japan, etc. Prices for security software from companies based in those regions should be higher. At current price levels across the board, consumers are getting a whale of deal even at non-discount prices. Not to mention that publishers based in regions where their costs are lower with a depressed native currency, but price and sell in dollars and euros make a huge profit gain on the exchange rate. So they can afford to undercut the market because they are making out anyway.

The price of enterprise security softs should be really expensive. The associated sales, maintenance and support costs are extremely high.

No one complains about Adobe Acrobat at $179.99 per year or $14.99 per month for a single seat license - and that soft flies off the shelves. Adobe sells it across the world on a large scale to both home users and enterprises. The importance of a security soft and the associated costs to the publisher are much higher compared to a PDF soft.

This example just goes to show where peoples' priorities lie.

I have no issue 'paying' for everything. However when their are arguably better or comparable alternatives for much less, it doesn't make much sense to me. I don't use free stuff, I like supporting developers, within reason of course. Usually money isn't a factor for me, but there better be a compelling reason for me to buy something for 5 times more or tend to consider it bad business or reckless price gouging.

I have no issue 'paying' for everything. However when their are arguably better or comparable alternatives for much less, it doesn't make much sense to me. I don't use free stuff, I like supporting developers, within reason of course. Usually money isn't a factor for me, but there better be a compelling reason for me to buy something for 5 times more or tend to consider it bad business or reckless price gouging.

My post wasn't meant for you specifically, but to everyone generally as it is the trend on the forums for people to either want free or only pay $10. I can tell you that AppGuard never has been at all interested in the demographic that wants free or ultra-low cost. We're not in the business of going out-of-business.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

My post wasn't meant for you specifically, but to everyone generally as it is the trend on the forums for people to either want free or only pay $10. I can tell you that AppGuard never has been at all interested in the demographic that wants free or ultra-low cost. We're not in the business of going out-of-business.

If anything, software is underpriced right now. Not speaking of Emsisoft, but of software in general. I personally feel that most people don't understand or value the IP and what goes into development. I sort of cringe when I hear someone complaining they don't want to pay 99 cents for an app on their phone they will probably use everyday for a few years before moving on. I die a little each time I hear that.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Now I understand this update even better. It wasn't just a decision from them, they were also trying to avoid the public shaming that Google Chrome is doing right now making AV vendors disable their anti-exploit hooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.