Battle Emsisoft 9 or ESET SS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freuderam

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 15, 2014
Hello guys, I am a connoisseur of testing, comments from leading security suites on the market today. I realize here in MalwareTips a huge variety of opinions, and I realize that the vast majority of uses and is a fan, and a good portion ESET is really enjoying this new version of Emsisoft.
I've read some discussion between the versions were more in the old version of Emsisoft, I would like the opinions of everyone on the new version. Some possible topics that you guys could answer:
His own experience with each of them.
Detect known malware, in this case motor ESET X Esisoft (Bidefender + Emsisoft)
Detection Zero Day
Filter internet , script, phising
Additional tools and appearance
Proactive Defense
What would you ..

Thank you all :)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014

Freuderam

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 15, 2014
I made this poll, I have to license both, now using ESET SS 7, seems much more fragile, just have a good detection and nothing more. I have the license of Emsisoft IS and 9 AM, the firewall is now stable?
I am almost convinced to try Emsisoft :)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
behavior blocker make emsisoft better but not very fare from eset i think

They are almost Equal, it's very difficult to say that one is better than the other.The more you search it the most confused you will be.
Please try the following
1)Try both and let your machine and instinct tell you which av is most closer to your needs.
2) Bored of wasting time installing and uninstalling?
Visit the ''virus exchange'' section (this is what i do sometimes) and click on the first 10 malware pack posts.
Check one by one which program detected more in each case.In the end you will have a first impression of what is going on.

Of course this is not the only way to say that this av is good or the other is not good. It is just a first impression as about detection of new malware samples.

This are 2 videos made by Manzai, so take a look.

Reactions: Manzai

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
In the ''virus exchange'' section last week I saw a discussion about Emsi vs ESET (and these two vs scrips)...as far as I can remember it was said that EMSI was (and apparently still is) weak against scripts and that they are now slow on updating their signatures but have a great behavioral defense that compensate their (now) lower on demand scan detection.
ESET has a better on demand scan detection (as seen in the last months in the ''virus exchange'') and a quick response on new viruses. Apaprently they also have difficulties to detects VBS....
The discussion was then moved on PM....a pity since it was interesting, in my opinion.

What about starting here a new, more complete "war" by reporting the FIRST scan results (on demand AND on execution) of the malware packs on ''virus exchange'' of both AV? :) I think a missing info is the on execution scan results for ESET. thks

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
In the ''virus exchange'' section last week I saw a discussion about Emsi vs ESET (and these two vs scrips)...as far as I can remember it was said that EMSI was (and apparently still is) weak against scripts and that they are now slow on updating their signatures but have a great behavioral defense that compensate their (now) lower on demand scan detection.
ESET has a better on demand scan detection (as seen in the last months in the ''virus exchange'') and a quick response on new viruses. Apaprently they also have difficulties to detects VBS....
The discussion was then moved on PM....a pity since it was interesting, in my opinion.

What about starting here a new, more complete "war" by reporting the FIRST scan results (on demand AND on execution) of the malware packs on ''virus exchange'' of both AV? :) I think a missing info is the on execution scan results for ESET. thks

In my opinion emsi is ok for you, but remember that an AV is like a pair of shoes, you may see it as a beautiful thing but that doesnt mean that it will fit all your requirements. Execution and behaviour are completely different and talking about VBS BOTH PROGRAMS ARE Not able to protect you, based on my own test. As said above ESET has the best detection rate than others vendors but their behaviour blocker is weak almost nothing, in the other hand, emsi is a little low in detection (still good) but their behaviour blocker is one of the best. You can make a combo with emsi you can install emsi + private firewall, so in that way you will be more protected. If you talk about updates:
emsi: 24 hourly updates
eset:3-5 updates per day

The best you can do is to test both, in that way you can make a proper decision. that is the best way cuz no matter what others tell you, your pc is uniquely for that reason you have to make your own choice. you have to consider this parameters.

Are you online all the time?
how many users use your pc?
are you constanly exposed to infected environments eg: USB share?
how often you download things from the internet? etc

Last edited:

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
In my opinion emsi is ok for you, but remember that an AV is like a pair of shoes, you may see it as a beautiful thing but that doesnt mean that it will fit all your requirements. Execution and behaviour are completely different and talking about VBS BOTH PROGRAMS ARE Not able to protect you, based on my own test. As said above ESET has the best detection rate than others vendors but their behaviour blocker is weak almost nothing, in the other hand, emsi is a quite low in detection (still good) but their behaviour blocker is one of the best. You can make a combo with emsi you can install emsi + private firewall, so in that way you will be more protected. If you talk about updates:
emsi: 24 hourly updates
eset:3-5 updates per day

1st time I heard from someone that "emsi is a quite low in detection "

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
I suggested to start a new "complete war" since on the "Malware Hub" I rarely see a on execution scan result for ESET and I think it would be interesting to see what product detects the most malwares on a longer run (on demand + heuristic + proactive/behavioral detection).
Reading the scan tests on "Malware Hub" gives the impression ESET provides a better protection (on demand scan) but what about the on execution detection and so the total detection/best protection? In this case I'm "only" interested in detection/protection...:)

Reactions: kiric96

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Cant vote because I use EIS on Windows 7 & ESS 8 Beta on Windows 8.1.Both provide great protection.For me I have found they each work better on different operating systems.OA was just a little buggy on Windows 8 and ran better on 7.I am sure since EAM 9 & continual updates to OA it runs fine on Widows 8.1 but if it aint broke don't fix it.If i had to choose one or the other,it would be a tough decision.

Reactions: Kent

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
I think both programs are good have good detectability and do not make trouble it can only with Eset is a little lighter but certainly both are worth our attention and interest.
never with these programs had no problems.:D

Reactions: kiric96
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.