Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Released: Emsisoft Anti-Malware 2018.1.1 released

Changelog:
---------------
Emsisoft Anti-Malware 2018.1.1.8439 released. This release includes fixes, enhancements and stability improvements.

This update will require an application restart.

• Fixed: Issue with scanning of removable device connections.
--------------

Source: https://changeblog.emsisoft.com/2018/02/17/emsisoft-anti-malware-2018-1-1-released/

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
EAM doesn't improve its ram consumption, I think the issue is due to the bitdefender signatures. much more than 500 megabytes in three processes:
a2guard.exe, a2service.exe, a2start.exe
but emsisoft has better performance than BIT and KIS, that is the most admirable thing about it.
but faced to Eset wich consumes a maximum of 90 megabytes, it is so much of consumption for a system with x86 4gb.
I see to EAM with a lot of hope, I have faith in them on this year.

D

Deleted member 65228

EAM doesn't improve its ram consumption, I think the issue is due to the bitdefender signatures. much more than 500 megabytes in three processes:
In 2018, 500MB RAM usage is not the end of the world.

Google Chrome is using 667MB for me right now and I've seen it use 1.1GB on my system on numerous occasions. Firefox isn't too different to Google Chrome for me in this aspect.

The built-in Photo viewer application in Windows 10? I've speculated it being "suspended" whilst occupying 130MB RAM in the past. Suspended state because that's how UWP works for Windows processes when you close them down (performance feature so when you re-use the application it is already in-memory).

In 2018 you're going to want to be using a 64-bit environment (not just due to the performance flexibility but also for security improvements) with at-least 6GB RAM and a decent processor in my opinion.

At the end of the day, your memory is supposed to be used up. Having memory and not using it is nothing but a waste of memory. If you had 4GB RAM and your security product was using on average around 500MB RAM but you didn't actually need to use the full remainder of your memory, and you could still do all your work with your other software without the system becoming slow to a noticeable level which starts to become irritating, then there's nothing to really worry about at all.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
but emsisoft has better performance than BIT and KIS, that is the most admirable thing about it.
but faced to Eset wich consumes a maximum of 90 megabytes, it is so much of consumption for a system with x86 4gb.
I see to EAM with a lot of hope, I have faith in them on this year.
RAM consumption is not bad, it is good, memory is made to use and not save, it is speed, have you noticed how fast it is to open the Emsisoft interface? navigate between settings? there is a lot of program out there that uses 50MB of RAM and you think: wow, how light it is. but behind is sucking your CPU and will not have a good answer, from now on what else will see is this, high memory consumption, memory was a problem in Vista time, where a PC had 1 or 2GB of RAM, nowadays people use 8, 16 GB of RAM. About Emsisoft using 500MB is strange, on my other machine it's only between 200 and 250.

D

Deleted member 65228

At the end of the day, your memory is supposed to be used up.
Watch the CPU and Disk Usage as well. Those factors are going to be very important in regards to your system behaving in a slow manner or not while the security solution is present, not just the memory. Memory usage can improve performance of software should it need to regularly access data (and thus the data is stored primarily in-memory so it can be accessed faster than constantly re-reading it from disk) but the primarily purpose of memory is to store data, and depending on the memory and usage will depend on what can and cannot be ran at once.

However, your CPU is the heart of operations for the system. The CPU is what actually executes the instructions, and thus if the CPU is being used a lot and working hard then there will be a noticeable decrease in performance among other operations system-wide.

High disk usage can also cause a system slow-down in the same sense because other operations may be attempted relying on disk usage but the disk may already have been being used heavily for different tasks at the same time.

D

Deleted member 65228

About Emsisoft using 500MB is strange, on my other machine it's only between 200 and 250.
Did you have the optimisation setting enabled? I believe it uses the page file when this option is checked instead of using signatures primarily in-memory but I am not sure how they handle this, I don't work there. It's just speculation.

@OP If you have only just enabled the optimisation setting before re-checking the RAM consumption, reboot the system with the feature still enabled and then see how the RAM usage has changed. RAM usage can decrease over-time as and when things are no longer needed as well.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
EAM usually uses around 200MB RAM for me. Its maximum usage was 250-260MB RAM. Strangely its using only 66 MB RAM right now. I have not enabled memory usage optimization. Emsisoft support said optimization uses more HDD/SSD and less RAM. Since I have slow HDD, I'm better with it using RAM.

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
Screenshot (3).png
Yeah, EAM never dissapointed me. It uses around 60-70 MB right now and the max is 250 MB, never reaches 500 MB :)

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
@MeltdownEnemy, you can contact Emsisoft support, they're very quick and helpful to resolve issues.
It may also be because a security software may work well on one system and terribly on another. Sometimes even powerful/weak specs doesn't matter. I have seen security software performing great on old and weaker system while lag terribly on latest and powerful system.

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
In 2018, 500MB RAM usage is not the end of the world.

Google Chrome is using 667MB for me right now and I've seen it use 1.1GB on my system on numerous occasions. Firefox isn't too different to Google Chrome for me in this aspect.

The built-in Photo viewer application in Windows 10? I've speculated it being "suspended" whilst occupying 130MB RAM in the past. Suspended state because that's how UWP works for Windows processes when you close them down (performance feature so when you re-use the application it is already in-memory).

In 2018 you're going to want to be using a 64-bit environment (not just due to the performance flexibility but also for security improvements) with at-least 6GB RAM and a decent processor in my opinion.

At the end of the day, your memory is supposed to be used up. Having memory and not using it is nothing but a waste of memory. If you had 4GB RAM and your security product was using on average around 500MB RAM but you didn't actually need to use the full remainder of your memory, and you could still do all your work with your other software without the system becoming slow to a noticeable level which starts to become irritating, then there's nothing to really worry about at all.

chromium father of chrome + ublockOring + https everywhere, in my Laptop just swallows 160mb, I never saw my computer consume 1GB in chromium,only if me open several YouTube tabs at the same time LOL! I would be severely worried for these numbers..

what you say is true but what if the person needs the extra memory in other activities of productivity, entertainment instead of giving priority to a single background task that is kept permanently on high and static of consumption, even bad for the computer's with short battery duration, I'm sorry to have our divergences. although I will do an increase in memory, although expensive $$$$ lately.

EAM usually uses around 200MB RAM for me. Its maximum usage was 250-260MB RAM. Strangely its using only 66 MB RAM right now. I have not enabled memory usage optimization. Emsisoft support said optimization uses more HDD/SSD and less RAM. Since I have slow HDD, I'm better with it using RAM.

the emsisoft 60mb on process that is the memory optimization on tab configuration, where the real compsumption goes to private virtual memory cached inside hidden disk as memory, Memory optimization is redirect consumption from real ram to pagefile. You can see it hidden with process hacker, or systernals process explorer. it is not real what you thinking viewing on windows taskmanager due windows itself send to private hidden process .

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.