App Review Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.6 Test(MalwareDoctor)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
P

Plexx

A few observations:

*In KS, hide safe processes and graphs, making it easier for the user to see the infected files running.
*Files on extensions you cannot run: save it as exe extension to run, instead of deleting the file.
*On the EAM UI, show the available options (you basically skipped behaviour block and those tabs in the beginning of the test when giving the overview of the UI.
*Show the default settings so the user have an idea of what is ticked and what is not ticked.
*On Memory usage view, sort it by name of process or description, saving you time and in case of EAM, both processes would be next to each other.
*What EAM removed was 313 objects not 314. Consider adding a call out text when a mistake is spotted when you edit the video.
*Should have specified if the samples were zero day or not. I know for a fact those are 1 day old since its from MT which I used it on my test yesterday:) The user should know if the samples are all zero day or not. This will have an impact on the user understanding.
*The 10 samples you chose to run, you previously renamed to exe, leaving the rest on vir extension. In future, rename all to EXE, scan and then execute 10 random samples that work. If some don't work, do not consider that as a sample that has been run. In the end of your test not 10 samples were ran due to this factor.
*Should have done a full/deep scan instead of quick scan.
*Before doing any scan after running samples, run ccleaner to delete all temp files etc.

You could refer to my EAM video for an idea of the points above stated.

P

Plexx

ZeroDay said:
Emsisoft doesn't live up to the hype then... Nice review thanks.

It does live up, both in detection and prevention.

The issue with this test was the samples were already renamed out of the pack and the ones that couldn't be ran, the user considered a sample ran.

Also a Deep scan would have been more appropriate.

That aside, I had a hard time checking Killswitch about the running processes that were infections.

Z

ZeroDay

Biozfear said:
ZeroDay said:
Emsisoft doesn't live up to the hype then... Nice review thanks.

It does live up, both in detection and prevention.

The issue with this test was the samples were already renamed out of the pack and the ones that couldn't be ran, the user considered a sample ran.

Also a Deep scan would have been more appropriate.

That aside, I had a hard time checking Killswitch about the running processes that were infections.

If it lived up it would be on AVC all that tosh about putting the money into their product and not tests is a cop out

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
When behaviour blocker alerted you should have blocked and quarantined (ticked both options).
This is why malware was still running in memory.

P

Plexx

ZeroDay said:
plus it's false posatives are rather high

High detection rate comes with a price as you are aware. Not just EAM has Flase Positives. Avira also has it. CAV had it and has now sort of stabled a bit.

MDTechVideos

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Biozfear said:
A few observations:

*In KS, hide safe processes and graphs, making it easier for the user to see the infected files running.
*Files on extensions you cannot run: save it as exe extension to run, instead of deleting the file.
*On the EAM UI, show the available options (you basically skipped behaviour block and those tabs in the beginning of the test when giving the overview of the UI.
*Show the default settings so the user have an idea of what is ticked and what is not ticked.
*On Memory usage view, sort it by name of process or description, saving you time and in case of EAM, both processes would be next to each other.
*What EAM removed was 313 objects not 314. Consider adding a call out text when a mistake is spotted when you edit the video.
*Should have specified if the samples were zero day or not. I know for a fact those are 1 day old since its from MT which I used it on my test yesterday:) The user should know if the samples are all zero day or not. This will have an impact on the user understanding.
*The 10 samples you chose to run, you previously renamed to exe, leaving the rest on vir extension. In future, rename all to EXE, scan and then execute 10 random samples that work. If some don't work, do not consider that as a sample that has been run. In the end of your test not 10 samples were ran due to this factor.
*Should have done a full/deep scan instead of quick scan.
*Before doing any scan after running samples, run ccleaner to delete all temp files etc.

You could refer to my EAM video for an idea of the points above stated.

I appreciate your "observatons", but I am starting to get a little annoyed with all of these few observations with every single vid I post. I am not going to argue with the points you made since they all have some sort of significance and make sense. But it comes down to that I do test how I want to do test and I appreciate the observations you have pointed out that have made my test for the better,but that is what makes my test different from your test. I am truly sorry if I can not pass your high standards, as I am only human. If you feel the need to suggest things for my test in the future, please try not to think too hard about everything and point out every single thing that you find flawed about my test.

*Also, 11 suggestions with suggestions inside of suggestions is a lot more than a few in my opinion.
** Also in regards to your previous suggestions, I have watched languy99, winsevenholic, MrXidus,Malware Geek(also known as rynesandbergfan23), thepcsecurity,Cudgelwarp,Buckbull and so on and so fouth but just naming a bunch of names really does not mean so much. I have been watching their vids for years now, and it was their review which partially inspired me to make my own reviews with my own style.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
@ MalwareDoctor
No one here wants to destroy your confidence or wants to pull the audience since it would be foolish
people only speak their minds out about what they feel and want to share their experience and this depends on how you take it (in a good way or bad way) after all we are here only to gain knowledge and nothing more
everyone knows how much effort and time is required to do a review (most people think that if the video is of 10 mins then the author also had to spend 10 mins which isnt true since there is a lot of background work which goes unnoticed)
and by he way everyone here is human and no one is perfect and can never be but there are certain things during test which when missed can give the user a totally different idea about a product
anyways last but not the least if you ask for suggestions you should always be ready to hear it good or bad and if you dont want any suggestions directly say that you dont want any suggestions
anyways wish you luck with your testing and hope you think about what i said :)

MDTechVideos

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
loveboy_lion said:
@ MalwareDoctor
No one here wants to destroy your confidence or wants to pull the audience since it would be foolish
people only speak their minds out about what they feel and want to share their experience and this depends on how you take it (in a good way or bad way) after all we are here only to gain knowledge and nothing more
everyone knows how much effort and time is required to do a review (most people think that if the video is of 10 mins then the author also had to spend 10 mins which isnt true since there is a lot of background work which goes unnoticed)
and by he way everyone here is human and no one is perfect and can never be but there are certain things during test which when missed can give the user a totally different idea about a product
anyways last but not the least if you ask for suggestions you should always be ready to hear it good or bad and if you dont want any suggestions directly say that you dont want any suggestions
anyways wish you luck with your testing and hope you think about what i said :)
Thanks for sharing your support loveryboy_lion. It's good to know people appreciate the effort the goes into these reviews. Its not that I do not want honest suggestions(I am ok with good and bad comments), it is just Biozfear has too many suggestions as if he is just watching to find errors.

InternetChicken

Jul 16, 2012
MalwareDoctor Where to start
no one is trying to destroy your self-confidence or take out
If you are going to do Video Reviews and test Software
then people are going to make suggestions opinions and observations
of the test and Review, the same as people do on u tube,
and what you need to think about is these are just (suggestions opinions and observations)
and are not ment to make you feel bad or hurt your feelings
they are ment to help you ,

but it is up to you to decide to listen to them or not
you should also take into account the accuracy of your Review and Test
NSG001's comment is correct about behaviour blocker alert

You should not take it to heart, I watch your Review's and I like them

So thats my 2 cents , at the end of the day is up to you what you do or not............

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
MalwareDoctor said:
it is just Biozfear has too many suggestions as if he is just watching to find errors.

He's just looking out for you as a fellow video reviewer, :heart:

Imagine going to a baseball match, You're the guy with the bat. During the match you make a couple bad hits here and there, Nothing horribly bad and in the end, Your team still ends up winning the match by a long shot.

After the match the other batter in your team gives you advice on how to improve those swings so next time you can hit that ball even better! Then you both run along and celebrate the win.

You would say "Thanks and yeah I'll give them tips a go." would you not? No matter how many points he makes out about your bat swinging style. :)

I do agree with some of the points Biozfear mentioned and I do hope to see you implement some into your next video.

However some of the other observations he made, I even chose not to do in my own videos when I was doing them. Shortening video length time being the main reason and that's where I can also agree with some of your own points MalwareDoctor.

I am not taking sides with anyone, There is no competition here, there are no sides here, We are all in this community together. As video reviewers, We all do our tests differently, It's easy to compare, In some form or shape we are different.

Biozfear, MalwareDoctor, I like the videos you both produce and or-tho I don't comment alot on them (unless needed), I always watch them and I appreciate the time you both put into your videos.

These are your videos, your time, You do what suits you buddy. Keep up the good work. ;)

MDTechVideos

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Thanks everyone for their opinions. I do not like to accept pity or anything of that kind from anybody but appreciate the community

@Biozfear: Are we still cool? :)

D

Deleted member 178

MalwareD. I was among the first that gave you advices about your first video review (if you remember) and will react about it with pure objectivity since i don't do any video review (yet).
Don't be offended if i may be rude or harsh.

MalwareDoctor said:
I appreciate your "observations", but I am starting to get a little annoyed with all of these few observations with every single vid I post.

We are here to help everyone to improve. You decided to "publish" videos so you must get ready to get criticized for every errors you will do and even for your style. that is normal and expected.

I am not going to argue with the points you made since they all have some sort of significance and make sense. But it comes down to that I do test how I want to do test and I appreciate the observations you have pointed out that have made my test for the better,but that is what makes my test different from your test. I am truly sorry if I can not pass your high standards, as I am only human. If you feel the need to suggest things for my test in the future, please try not to think too hard about everything and point out every single thing that you find flawed about my test.

it is not a question of standard but a question of quality.
example: if i have just the money to watch a movie, do i will choose to watch a known well produced "blockbuster" or an average one made by a new and not well known director...

*Also, 11 suggestions with suggestions inside of suggestions is a lot more than a few in my opinion.

If i do 100 errors , i wish someone point all those 100 errors.

** Also in regards to your previous suggestions, I have watched languy99, winsevenholic, MrXidus,Malware Geek(also known as rynesandbergfan23), thepcsecurity,Cudgelwarp,Buckbull and so on and so fouth but just naming a bunch of names really does not mean so much. I have been watching their vids for years now, and it was their review which partially inspired me to make my own reviews with my own style.

I know all those names and vids, and if you want yours to be among them, and not just another anonymous youtube reviewer, you must rises your standard by yourself, make your videos better (or with something very different than them) to attract the viewers. my Favorites are MrXidus and Biozfear videos

- MrXidus vids are fast, complete with all the basic infos visible at a glance. I really miss them.

- Biozfear vids are for me the most complete, each of them has all the small details and infos i need to know about a product, he pinpoint almost every options. Also he correct its own mistakes on the fly.

keep your style (for example we hear you talking , that is cool) and use the others advice to improve.
When i criticize Biozfear vids, he correct right away on the next video.

If someone give you advices, it means they care of you. don't misunderstand them.

Keep going with your vids. they are still interesting.

Thanks.

P

Plexx

@MalwareDoctor:

I am sorry if my observations came across to you as abrupt. The reason I have made them was simply observations I observed in your video and felt that by providing constructive feedback would benefit you.

I am aware that you have taken feedback from us and incorporated on your videos. Each user has it's own style as well as a set of tools.

For example, I use Killswitch to show the infections running, but then others prefer process explorer from sysinternals from example. On some tests you will see the reviewer/tester using CCE sometimes, depending on how bad the infection is. I for example tend not to use CCE due to the scan speed and the fact that when I do the videos, I have a limited time.

Constructive feedback given by users will help you on the long run, just like it has helped me. Have a look at my first 3 videos (McAfee, QuickHeal and ESET). They were unedited in terms of speed and rather long. This was the first feedback that I have received from Earth. Now I look at those videos and yes they are not as good as my later ones but I chose not to remove for one reason: to show the users the progress I have made.

Umbra and Chiron have gave me some valuable feedback and those were incorporated in later videos.

Earth although hardly commenting on the videos here, has given me valuable feedback, up to a stage where on one of my videos, I pressed Ignore in MBAM, so I re-did and re-uploaded the video.

MrXidus just yesterday gave me a valuable feedback regarding the font size. Now this you might think it is rather low importance but it is not. The fact that I do not use Voice on my Videos, the Text is how I communicate to the user and if the font size is small I would not know for one simple fact: I am used to use small fonts, so even increasing 2pt, I will feel it big already.

What I like in your video is the same thing I like in your other videos and the same reason I like ThePCSecurity and Languy's videos to name a few: The fact that there is voice on the video and it is live.

I know for a fact it is not easy to speak live while doing the tests.

Keep it up.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.