Emsisoft Anti-Malware as a standalone antivirus?

Scorpion Illuminati

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 14, 2017
I just got a 1-year subscription to Emsisoft Antimalware. I am currently using the free edition of Avast which sucks due to all the ad placements, not the protection. Can I remove Avast free and use Emsisoft Antimalware instead as my main antivirus?

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
I just got a 1-year subscription to Emsisoft Antimalware. I am currently using the free edition of Avast which sucks due to all the ad placements, not the protection. Can I remove Avast free and use Emsisoft Antimalware instead as my main antivirus?
You can and if you privacy oriented do the switch instant. Do not look back at avast free. Emsisoft is a nice little peace of software :)

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Yes, you can, Emsisoft is a "full antivirus" solution, it uses a dual-engine scanner technology (Bitdefender + in-house) that aims to protect against all kind of malwares.

1- Can it replace my antivirus?

Absolutely. Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home is a complete antivirus solution that provides protection against all manner of threats that are lurking on the internet.

2- Why is it called "anti-malware" and not "antivirus"?
Our lab has determined that classic viruses only make up less than 0.5% of total threats (in 2016). Using "Antivirus" would therefore be wrong by definition. We're perfectionists so we have elected to use the broader term "Malware" as it stands for all kinds of online threats.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
yes you can but before doing so make sure that avast is completely uninstalled , meaning deinstallation with revo or iobit uninstaller or geek uninstaller and than search with the uninstaller for left over program files , reg keys and so on ( may cause conflict with emsisoft ) after that run avastclear , their official uninstaller tool , just to make sure all is removed.....no you can safely install emsisoft and enjoy it! ps look in one of your appdata folder , or with autotuns for "OVERSEER.EXE" this also belongs to avast and will not get removed by any uninstaller , but it is important that you remove this , because you don't want to feed avast company telemetry data after uninstall :)

bob974

Level 4
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
Emsisoft is a very good antivirus. it will happily replace avast. In addition, you will benefit from a very good customer service.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Emsisoft says Emsisoft Anti Malware is a standalone security product. Emsisoft offers very good protections. In addition, privacy is very good as well. Emsisoft customer support is fabulous as well.

I used Emsisoft back in 2017.

I just wish they have a live chat because I hate waiting for them to reply to my thread and I am a partial patient person.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
ps look in one of your appdata folder , or with autotuns for "OVERSEER.EXE" this also belongs to avast and will not get removed by any uninstaller , but it is important that you remove this , because you don't want to feed avast company telemetry data after uninstall :)

Except before you do this, delete Avast overseer.exe scheduled task. THEN delete overseer.exe. = Done! Enjoy Emsisoft, it's a nice AV. (y)

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Why not? Doesn't it remove all traces?

Maybe I am wrong but one should not trust antivirus vendors with their uninstallers. Who can guarantee they did not leave something behind for whatever purpose? Maybe I am a little paranoid, but I have always did a clean install after testing a security product.

• Wow
Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Maybe I am wrong but one should not trust antivirus vendors with their uninstallers. Who can guarantee they did not leave something behind for whatever purpose? Maybe I am a little paranoid, but I have always did a clean install after testing a security product.
Well the uninstall tools, should remove all leftover traces. In some cases they will not remove everything, but that is due to limitations of the uninstall tool and not intentional.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018

Do you have any evidence for it? You said, "One should not trust antivirus vendors with their uninstallers" This also mean you shouldn't install them in the first place and trust any antivirus vendors at all. Since you don't trust the good guy at all, than one shouldn't run any antivirus at all?

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Do you have any evidence for it? You said, "One should not trust antivirus vendors with their uninstallers" This also mean you shouldn't install them in the first place and trust any antivirus vendors at all. Since you don't trust the good guy at all, than one shouldn't run any antivirus at all?

My point was, a security product when uninstalled the company might want to know why you uninstalled their product, what security product you installed after it, or simply to send telemetry. All of this is just speculation and I don’t have any evidence. I just don’t feel comfortable after I uninstall a security product unless I do a clean install or restore an image.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.