Emsisoft Anti-Malware & Emsisoft Internet Security 2017.8 released

• Thread starter Deleted member 178
  • Start date

Do you like the Firewall Fortification feature?

• Yes

Votes: 55 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 20.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
I'd like to second @Umbra's statement. Unless your specific threat model contains outbound connections, there is nothing to worry about really. Even the folks at Emsisoft always recommended EAM over EIS in the past unless it's about a laptop that is regularly connected to foreign Wifi networks. I have to actually commend their honesty, they could have made more $$$ by simply recommending the most expensive option.

Also, while it seems nice to have one do-it-all application from a user standpoint, it's not always the best decision. I don't trust Microsoft with their AV efforts, because they're OS experts and not AV experts (I do have a strong opinion about their expertise when it comes to OS development alone, but that's another story).

I also wouldn't let the barber fix my car or get my hair done in the garage. That is just my personal view, though, yours may differ and that's perfectly fine. :)

Fact is, there is an abundance of firewall developers with great products out there who you could take up on their offers if you truly desire a proper firewall solution.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
sometimes you want to use a cracked software(because you have to) and you must block the connections
Well, I hope you're not seriously thinking that they take that into consideration when it comes down to product features. o_O

N.B.: If you know how to procure illegitimate software you're probably familiar with your .hosts file as well…

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Well, I hope you're not seriously thinking that they take that into consideration when it comes down to product features
Lol,they should!not everyone lives in the USA and not everyone can pay 200$ or more per year for his/her software!

Now I don't have any cracked software.
I only had Adobe and some others I just removed them when I installed the win 10.. but with hosts file you can't fix the problem...also am lazy to do that and I need smth easy to use <3

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I use the emergency kit, and I found very good.
Host file was the black dot of another antimalware, and the other ones are all vulnerable.

Reactions: AnonMan and Fritz

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Is really solid product, I have Zemana on demand right now, but I need more time to see the evolution of VodooShield and reshape the security config.
Everything depends on new updates, or new products. But surely EAM is one I have great respect for, and I will consider it for a layered approach.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Right, but is it bad if you have them on your pc?I mean the user loses smth?or earn smth?what if some one tries to hack your router? then what? win firewall cant stops it but those firewalls maybe try to block it!.
im on the net since more than 10 years , i lurked on the darknet , a place regular users shouldn't go, and i was never attacked once...so i believe you won't; however if someone has a grudge against you and decide to hire an hacker , the hacker will use better methods than send you malicious packets via your network.

I know that and you told me about it but everyone is different and sometimes you want to have more security.
like today I was playing my online game and that ids in Eset warn me about an outbound connection (it was not malware but I like it and I feel safe when I saw that alert)
i know the feeling, i was surely the most paranoid user in the forum, and well know for my "fortress system" , also all outbound connections are not malicious.

I do but sometimes you don't like to let your pot player reach the internet(why? I just don't like it.)
or sometimes you have a bandwidth limit(like in my country) and you should control the bandwidth.
or sometimes you want to use a cracked software(because you have to) and you must block the connections for that and also need smth to warn you if that software wanted to reach the internet.
those are particular cases , if you don't like something to connect , just create a rule either on the security software you use or in Windows FW..

what if that behavior blocker misses that malware?then what? it will reach the internet so having a firewall isn't bad.
Indeed, but to me if a malware is active on your system , it doesn't matter anymore, your security strategy just failed , so just reformat your system.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Lol,they should!not everyone lives in the USA and not everyone can pay 200$ or more per year for his/her software!

Now I don't have any cracked software.
I only had Adobe and some others I just removed them when I installed the win 10.. but with hosts file you can't fix the problem...also am lazy to do that and I need smth easy to use <3
Oh, please don't get me wrong. We all have to make do and it's not my place to judge.

I'm just saying that you can't expect a legitimate company to anticipate and tend to that particular need. ;)

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
People complain too much about this firewall stuff. The windows firewall is more than sufficient. For those who are techies, windows firewall have a lot of tweaks and customization, and advanced settings (some are just too lazy to do a bit of research) , whether you want to block some inbound, outbound connections, or block a software connecting to the internet.

Emsisoft's approach is realistic and correct, protecting the weak spots. If you don't like windows firewall,well, why are you still using windows??

Thread author
There are two firewall protection philosophies:

1. A firewall is designed to protect the system only from outside intrusion (Windows Firewall)
2. A firewall should also identify and regulate outbound connections (3rd-party firewalls and front-end GUIs for Windows Firewall)

The Emsisoft Behavior Blocker always has alerted to suspicious firewall\port activity. I just cannot remember all the categories. One obvious one is backdoor related activity.

In other words, a user sees only a Behavior Blocker alert, and is completely unaware of the fact that the alert is notifying them of suspicious firewall\port actions.

Instead of guessing, speculating and sowing disinformation about this stuff, why doesn't someone ask Emsisoft staff to explain their Behavior Blocker suspicious activity groups in greater detail on their support forum ?

Last edited by a moderator:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Where can I find this thing? I wanted to test the firewall and I can not seem to find it. BB auto-allows everything and can not be deleted, so that can not be it.

I consider buying Sphinx Firewall Control, but since Emsisoft cost the same, I might go with it, but it does not seem to do anything firewall related. :unsure:

Simply put, how to set it up, so I would get this alert?

Attachments

• capture_09162017_154004.jpg
    capture_09162017_154004.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.