Emsisoft Anti-Malware & Emsisoft Internet Security 2017.8 released

• Thread starter Deleted member 178
  • Start date

Do you like the Firewall Fortification feature?

• Yes

Votes: 55 79.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 20.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Emsisoft is proud to announce our new build with the Firewall Fortification feature:

As announced earlier, we are changing our firewall strategy and will soon merge Emsisoft Internet Security with Emsisoft Anti-Malware, effective as of our next release in October. Instead of developing our own firewall module, we’re going to rely on the built-in Windows Firewall core that has proven to be powerful and reliable. Its only weak point is the fact that anyone can freely change the firewall configuration. In other words, if malware manages to run on the PC with sufficient administrator permissions, it’s able to allow itself to get through the firewall.

To resolve this vulnerability, we’ve developed a new Firewall Fortification feature for Emsisoft Anti-Malware’s Behavior Blocker as part of our 2017.8 release. Firewall Fortification detects and intercepts malicious actions from non-trustworthy programs in real time before they can cause any damage.

Read more here : New in 2017.8: Windows Firewall Fortification

Changelog: Emsisoft Anti-Malware & Emsisoft Internet Security 2017.8 released

Attachments

• behavior-blocker-firewall-alert.png
    behavior-blocker-firewall-alert.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 571
Last edited by a moderator:

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
Right now I don't have Emsisoft installed but I suppose that the notification alert about Firewall doesn't shows if the user has "auto-resolve mode" (config by default)
So, this feature works (it shows) for those whom had manually disable auto-resolve mode?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Right now I don't have Emsisoft installed but I suppose that the notification alert about Firewall doesn't shows if the user has "auto-resolve mode" (config by default)
So, this feature works (it shows) for those whom had manually disable auto-resolve mode?

In auto-resolve mode , you won't see the alert just an notification and if you don't click allow in the notification, access to the firewall will be blocked automatically after 10 seconds by default.

it's Binisoft necessary then?

That is depending your point of view, do you care only about malicious outbound connections or any kind of outbound connections? if only malicious/suspicious then no.

(Note that you can create your own rules in EAM's BB to block specific applications.)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
This is for very deep clean, normal one is enough for most users.
Deep cleaning is needed if you plan to install another AV , hence is used to avoid potential conflicts.
Hmm, so to install another AV. I'll need to run Emsisoft Clean as "best practice". I've run AV product removal tools. Emsisoft Clean is first tool, as I recall, that sounds scary.
we bear no responsibility for any damage that may be caused by using this software without the supervision of an Emsisoft expert.
Thanks!

Reactions: spaceoctopus
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Hmm, so to install another AV. I'll need to run Emsisoft Clean as "best practice". I've run AV product removal tools. Emsisoft Clean is first tool, as I recall, that sounds scary.
Thanks!
yes as best practice but not not an absolute necessity, dont do it if you feel it is risky or too compliacted for you.

Reactions: spaceoctopus

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
yes as best practice but not not an absolute necessity, don't do it if you feel it is risky or too complicated for you.
Hmm, how would I gauge if the tool is risky or too complicated for me without actually running the tool several times.
Since Emsisoft suggests that damage may be caused and Emsisoft will bear no responsibility for any damage that may be caused by using this software without the supervision of an Emsisoft expert. I'll not question Emsisoft statement or the risk nor the complexity of a tool that I've never run. I'd best seek the supervision of an Emsisoft expert.
Regards w Respect

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
@bjm_ if you want do a system backup , install EAM and if it doesn't satisfy you , you can still restore the backup ;)

Honestly, i don't believe you will encounter any issue with the simple uninstall; and i believe you will like EAM :)

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
@bjm_ if you want do a system backup , install EAM and if it doesn't satisfy you , you can still restore the backup ;)
Honestly, i don't believe you will encounter any issue with the simple uninstall; and i believe you will like EAM :)
Well, I am inclined to believe you. Yes, system image first, as best practice. Thanks!
Edit: and I'm also inclined to believe Peter2150.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Since Emsisoft suggests that damage may be caused and Emsisoft will bear no responsibility for any damage that may be caused by using this software without the supervision of an Emsisoft expert.
@Umbra and @Peter2150 are right on the money. It's all just legal babble. Remember that we live in times where people need to be told not to dry their cat in the microwave oven und write CAUTION HOT! on paper cups that contain… well, surpise: hot coffee! :p

I just gave it a whirl in my VM and ran Emsisoft Cleaner after a regular uninstall and a reboot, this is what it comes up with:
2017-09-01_22-40-13.jpg

TL;DR: The probability that something will go sideways is there, just like every time you turn on your computer. But it is negligible.

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
Hmm, what happened to a simple, ubiquitous "AS IS".
Regarding legal babble.... emsiclean.exe....doesn't appear to have a EULA.
948.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Fritz

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Hello umbra
i don't have Emsi I just don't like win firewall.
What is the point with win firewall?how win firewall is stronger than A stand alone firewall?
there IS not advance options like ids or other useful features that I can see in some Avs like Eset Kasper or Comodo...
it's simple and hard to use.

Reactions: Fritz
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Hello umbra
i don't have Emsi I just don't like win firewall.
What is the point with win firewall?how win firewall is stronger than A stand alone firewall?
there IS not advance options like ids or other useful features that I can see in some Avs like Eset Kasper or Comodo...
it's simple and hard to use.

From a home user stand, IDS/IPS benefits are negligible, those features are made to protect corporate networks.
For a home user, your NAT router and WinFW are good enough to block inbound connections , which is the original purpose of a FW.
I'm using WinFW (with my own settings) since a long time and i never had the need of such features, i'm not a company and hence i'm not subject to daily attempts to compromise my network.

The only issue i can see with WinFW is that it doesn't alert about outbound connections, and this is where EAM enter, we block via our BB, the suspicious attempts trying to modify WinFW rules .
Some may say "but what if i want to block non-malicious attempts?"
I will answer "but why would you block them? don't you trust the softs you are installing on your system?"

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
From a home user stand, IDS/IPS benefits are negligible, those features are made to protect corporate networks.
Right, but is it bad if you have them on your pc?I mean the user loses smth?or earn smth?what if some one tries to hack your router? then what? win firewall cant stops it but those firewalls maybe try to block it!.
I'm using WinFW (with my own settings) since a long time and i never had the need of such features
I know that and you told me about it but everyone is different and sometimes you want to have more security.
like today I was playing my online game and that ids in Eset warn me about an outbound connection (it was not malware but I like it and I feel safe when I saw that alert)

I will answer "but why would you block them? don't you trust the softs you are installing on your system?"
I do but sometimes you don't like to let your pot player reach the internet(why? I just don't like it.)
or sometimes you have a bandwidth limit(like in my country) and you should control the bandwidth.
or sometimes you want to use a cracked software(because you have to) and you must block the connections for that and also need smth to warn you if that software wanted to reach the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.