Emsisoft Anti Malware vs. Avast Free Antivirus

which software is better ?

• Emsisoft Anti Malware

• Avast free Antivirus

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member 65228

I would recommend for you to decide whether to go for Avast or Emsisoft based on your requirements.

If you are after one of the best Behavior Blocker's among security software on the market right now then you will likely be happier with going for Emsisoft IMO. However if you're not interested in going for paid then I'd recommend Avast. Whether you go for Avast or Emsisoft, you'll still be protected in a superb manner and both of them have the potential to provide you excellent protection.

You should also check the privacy policies in-case you are interested about data collection since Avast is a lot more intrusive than Emsisoft by default.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daljeet

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 14, 2017
You should also check the privacy policies in-case you are interested about data collection since Avast does collect data and sell it - in fact they are very open and clear about this since they enforce the user to read this from within the installer in clear-view.
Zs5YgYg.jpg

@Opcode You want to say If you're not paying you're the product.

D

Deleted member 65228

@daljeet Maybe I am misinformed, does opting out from settings disable the data collection entirely? I should also verify if they really sell the data or not instead of assuming they do, therefore I apologise with how I worded my previous post.

Edit: I updated my previous post in-case I was saying something which was incorrect about Avast and data collection. It should be okay now.

Daljeet

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 14, 2017
@daljeet Maybe I am misinformed, does opting out from settings disable the data collection entirely? I should also verify if they really sell the data or not instead of assuming they do, therefore I apologise with how I worded my previous post.
@Opcode You're right Avast selling user data, please don't apologize we're friends.
I just highlight what Avast is doing and how they are making money using us.

D

Deleted member 65228

@daljeet Oh no haha we are misunderstanding each other! We are friends mate, I am just glad about what you pointed out because it made me open my eyes and think carefully about what I state without manual verification! :) :)

And thank you for clarifying for me, and I agree with you completely haha. If we remember the saying, "Nothing is free"... Well now we know what "Free" means with Avast! Haha.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Offtopic: I laughed out loud at jajajajajaja :) I learned a bit of Spanish from a friend while studying in Austria, so I know it 's hahahaha, but in Serbian jaja means eggs. (lol Don't mind me, it's a terrible day at work, can't wait to get home)

Back on topic: I always got the impression that Emsisoft offered better protection than Avast. Perhaps my opinion is based on old Avast. Anyway, I have Emsisoft AM and I am very happy with it. Doesn't slow down the machine, and has nice features. What I don't like about it is lack of any advanced/tweaking options. I love the price though, it's spot on!
Well, I know Spanish, and Portuguese, some French, but I don't know English, I use the translators. but JaJa in Spanish is in English haha.

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
If you could tweak Avast efficiently, I believe Emsisoft is still a bit better due to its super-strong behavior blocker, but you must be knowledgeable enough to respond to its prompts appropriately (though of course Avast has its own Cyber Capture and Behavior Shield from AVG).

With Emsisoft scanning becomes faster and faster while in Avast, though it has caching of safe files after doing a full scan, still scans are quite long to finish.

Avast Free is very good in itself, maybe the best Free antivirus product now. But versus EAM, I will still choose EAM.

D

Deleted member 65228

but you must be knowledgeable enough to respond to its prompts appropriately
Emsisoft has improved a lot with this over the recent months to year, it is a lot more "auto-resolve" than it once was. In other words, they were aware that Home users weren't really feeling towards constant alerts so they made adaptations to make it more automatic resolve to cater to both inexperienced and experienced users. :)

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Emsisoft has improved a lot with this over the recent months to year, it is a lot more "auto-resolve" than it once was. In other words, they were aware that Home users weren't really feeling towards constant alerts so they made adaptations to make it more automatic resolve to cater to both inexperienced and experienced users. :)

Yeah, forgot about that. When I last used EAM it was version 8, but still that was very good.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.