Advice Request Emsisoft Antimalware detected FDM as threat

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Anupam

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Hi All,

Today Emsisoft has detected Free Download Manager as trojan.

upload_2018-1-15_8-50-32.png

I have downloaded FDM from the official website and also scanned with Zemana. Not sure whether it's a false positive or FDM wa actually trying to do something fishy.

Has anyone else faced the same issue? Should I whitelist FDM?

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Just out of curiosity, any reason to download FDM?
Based on what I know, FDM to me is like a downloader for softwares you could find in the web.
In this case, why not u just straight up to their direct webpage and download it straight out from the vendor's page instead through a downloader's page?

Anupam

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Just out of curiosity, any reason to download FDM?
Based on what I know, FDM to me is like a downloader for softwares you could find in the web.
In this case, why not u just straight up to their direct webpage and download it straight out from the vendor's page instead through a downloader's page?

1. Much more stable download speed
2. Torrent download :p

For softwares I always use Vendors website.

I have FDM and emsisoft and no detection. Fdm has been updated recently and still no reaction from the anti-virus...

I also never had a problem with FDM and Emsisoft combination earlier.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Right click on the quarantined program and submit to Emsisoft with a description of why it is safe.

Reactions: AtlBo

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Reactions: AtlBo and Anupam

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Hi All,

Finally I was able to take a screenshot :)

View attachment 178035

What I found is the FDM error reporting service is acting as a Trojan ( as per Emsisoft)

Strange is when I checked in Virus Total, Emsisoft flagged it as safe .

VirusTotal

View attachment 178036

Seems like it was detected by Behavioral Blocker.
Yes it was detected by BB, as it was not detected by the signatures of its own engine and Bitdefender, I believe to be a false positive of BB.

Reactions: AtlBo and Vasudev

Xtwillight

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2014
No problems with the download
by fdm5_x64_setup.exe Emsi does not report anything

when installing
"Emsisoft Anti-Malware v. 2017.12.1.8340 (C) 2003-2017 Emsisoft - www.emsisoft.com
ID Object 0 C: \ Program Files \ FreeDownloadManager.ORG \ Free Download Manager \ fdm.exe Behavior.AuthorunCreation

Program fdm5_x64_setup.exe for Verification from F / P to Emsi shipping

Reactions: AtlBo and Anupam

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
You could try uGet which works on Linux, Windows and OS X. It has torrent support as well.
I personally use Transmission Qt for downloading torrents.

Reactions: AtlBo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.