Advice Request Emsisoft Antimalware detected FDM as threat

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
just tested out this app
- higher RAM usage than any other download manager: ~70MB
- doesn't fully support slimjet browser. Just IE, FF, chrome
- The website was blocked by hphosts/malwarebytes, classified as malware, malware distributor. Confirmed by hphosts forum admin
- the extension installed on chrome consumed too much CPU when a website was loading. If I opened 20 tabs simultaneously, it consumed up to 8-9% of CPU, much more than eagleget (max 4-5%)

Uninstalled

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
just tested out this app
- higher RAM usage than any other download manager: ~70MB
- doesn't fully support slimjet browser. Just IE, FF, chrome
- The website was blocked by hphosts/malwarebytes, classified as malware, malware distributor. Confirmed by hphosts forum admin
- the extension installed on chrome consumed too much CPU when a website was loading. If I opened 20 tabs simultaneously, it consumed up to 8-9% of CPU, much more than eagleget (max 4-5%)

Uninstalled
could you also test the download speed between them?

Reactions: AtlBo

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
could you also test the download speed between them?
I monitored the speed using their speed indicators + KIS's network monitor speed indicator -> no bias, no wrong reading. The results were taken after letting the download speed stable for 2 minutes with constant monitoring since the downloads started

EG was set to 16 threads. Default 8 or 10 threads (I forgot). Max 32 threads are allowed
FDM was set to High profile (default) = up to 200 threads, unlimited speed

Majorgeeks server: W10 iso -> Huge gap
EG: 5.15MB/s
FDM: 3.46MB/s

Microsoft server: Office 2016 retail IMG
EG: 8.4-8.55MB/s
FDM: 8.2-8.3MB/s

EG won in both test cases

Anupam

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I got the same reply
upload_2018-1-15_23-25-30.png

Anupam

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I monitored the speed using their speed indicators + KIS's network monitor speed indicator -> no bias, no wrong reading. The results were taken after letting the download speed stable for 2 minutes with constant monitoring since the downloads started

EG was set to 16 threads. Default 8 or 10 threads (I forgot). Max 32 threads are allowed
FDM was set to High profile (default) = up to 200 threads, unlimited speed

Majorgeeks server: W10 iso -> Huge gap
EG: 5.15MB/s
FDM: 3.46MB/s

Microsoft server: Office 2016 retail IMG
EG: 8.4-8.55MB/s
FDM: 8.2-8.3MB/s

EG won in both test cases

Thank you for the comparison. Surely EagleGet is a better download manager. But sadly it does not support torrent. I don't want to install multiple software to download multiple types of files. Once it supports torrent I will never touch FDM again :p . Right now I find FDM the only download manager which supports torrent and normal downloading without showing any kind of Ads.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thank you for the comparison. Surely EagleGet is a better download manager. But sadly it does not support torrent. I don't want to install multiple software to download multiple types of files. Once it supports torrent I will never touch FDM again :p . Right now I find FDM the only download manager which supports torrent and normal downloading without showing any kind of Ads.
I noticed when downloading torrents with FDM or other torrent downloaders is heavy, constant disk usage, sometimes makes the system unresponsive

with utorrent or bittorrent, we can modify 1 option to make the disk consumption reduce significantly in exchange of a bit higher memory usage (ram caching and fetching after 2 munutes). This can prolong life expectancy of your HDD/SSD. My friend broke his HDD due to too much torrenting without this option

That's why I choose utorrent instead of other programs. I think eagleget + utorrent (2.2.1) is still lighter than FDM alone

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.