MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
Resource Usage (RAM) = Avast
Real World System Impact = Both are equal
User Friendliness = Emsisoft as it has almost no tweaks for the user to make.Everything is set up by default. On the other hand Avast default settings are not so good and the user needs to make more tweaks.
Level of Protection and Features : Emsisoft has better signatures and web blocking as well as behavior blocker. Avast is also good and has more features but the user need to go through and make tweaks to the settings (PUP, Hardened Mode)

Overall Winner = Try them both and decide which is better and work fine to your system. Both programs will protect you well.

H

hjlbx

Hello Huracan,

If you want simplicity, and a high level of protection, then choose Emsisoft.

I can tell you from experience using Avast, Comodo, Emsisoft...that EIS will do a very fine job. The reasons why are pointed out by Paul Lee above.

hjlbx

Reactions: Sasa

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If you want the four main features of solid web filter, file shield, cloud protection/ BB and firewall then go to Emsisoft Internet Security suite, as it already enhance the components for optimized detection.

But Avast Internet Security for more components in related to Sandbox technology for virtualization and Hardened mode for total block for unknown application that does no meet with the rules.

Reactions: Sasa

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
My votes goes to Emsisoft.

Reasons:

1. Superb Detection
2. Registry level cleaning.
3. Superb Web Blocking
4. Very Simple UI.
5. Super BB
6. Simple Firewall

Now some will say Avast Hardened mode blocks more. But I don't believe in Default Denial Approach and yes Sandbox feature is good. But overall Emsisoft is better for me.

Reactions: nissimezra and Sasa
H

hjlbx

Hello Huracan,

Before making a commitment, you might want to try out both to verify compatibility with your installed software/system.

That's one of the primary reasons I use EIS 9 - excellent compatibility.

I have an AMD system; some antivirus have caused problems on it.

Thanks,

hjlbx

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Emsisoft has been only problems for me in the past, nasty bugs, while navegating the GUI 20+% cpu, error on updates, FP on the web filter, sometimes I was able to kill the process with task manager, etc. In the other hand it was great at protecting the system, mamutu was strong against a nice amount of malware, can't complain there.
PD: My vote would be for EIS.

Reactions: nissimezra

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
why why why even considering to pay for any of them when Qihoo around? why?
better signature than both of them.
lighter than both of them.
very good start up monitor and defense.
very good zero day.
no registration just double click and you're done.
so why?

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
Avast IS gave you a sad face, Emsisoft IS will give you a BSOD (blue screen) unless Emsisoft released a fix for that.
According protection:
Both programs will serve you very well but let's focus on some details:
- Detection-
Emsisoft has better signatures but not far from avast

-Behavior Blocker-
Emsisoft has one of the best behavior blocker but avast has ''evogen'' ''filerep'' and IF you enabled it.....''hardened mode''

-Cleaning Capabilities-
I think Emsisoft is better, however avast has ''boot time scan''.

-Support-
Emsisoft by far.....

- System start up & performance-
Avast

- Memory Usage-
Avast

My personal opinion:
Try Avast free and modify the settings and if you are not satisfied then go and buy Emsisoft ANTIMALWARE.
Emsisoft antimalware is more stable than Emsisoft Internet Security with no any problems.

Overall:
Your system is something that you know better than anybody here. Your internet habits too. Try them and decide with which product you feel more secure.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
dunno why but when avast uninstalled it gave me a screen with a :( face on it and that made me feel bad uninstalling it

is avast free or internet security better than emisisoft IS
Thread Merged. Please remember to search the forum before posting.

The sad face is because you uninstalled avast software. You should leave them feedback, so they can improve their products.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.