App Review Emsisoft Internet Security - Behavior Blocker Only - ransomware test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Is that with the same samples?
yes, exact same samples. I'm lazy to find new ones. There were 3-5 new samples if I'm not mistaken but those were blocked too

This is just like SecurityFirst. Are you even using the same music as him?
yes, because those are free soundtracks. NoCopyrightSounds
I don't wanna be blocked so I have to use these. There are a lot and I will replace them by new ones later :)

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
I just skipped over your video:

In general, we don't care about certain file types, like .exe files or .lnk files and malware may be able to encrypt them without us intervening. This is mostly as a mitigation for false positives. The other two document files that were encrypted are encrypted copies. It's easiest to spot in the ".oops" case. You can clearly see both files coexisting there. The ransomware samples probably triggered the detection when they attempted to overwrite and get rid of the originals. Since we don't perform a rollback per se, encrypted copies will be left behind. Same with ransom notes really.

The lock screens are annoying and we really should display the warning windows on top of them. Will see what we can do about that.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks for another great review Mr. Rainsomware ;). I love them :)
thank you :D I love this name

In general, we don't care about certain file types, like .exe files or .lnk files and malware may be able to encrypt them without us intervening. This is mostly as a mitigation for false positives. The other two document files that were encrypted are encrypted copies. It's easiest to spot in the ".oops" case. You can clearly see both files coexisting there. The ransomware samples probably triggered the detection when they attempted to overwrite and get rid of the originals. Since we don't perform a rollback per se, encrypted copies will be left behind. Same with ransom notes really.

The lock screens are annoying and we really should display the warning windows on top of them. Will see what we can do about that.
thank you. Hope you can improve the product
I was trying to do it quickly so I missed that. When I watched the video again, I saw file that was not encrypted.

overall, extremely impressive result for emsisoft's BB. Congrats

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016

When the developer responds like this you know you've selected the right product. I could be wrong but I'd be surprised if Kaspersky would do the same.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
Emsisoft performed really well. But I just wonder: when the EIS warning window pops up, is the malware already blocked? Or it is user dependent, so that you have to quarantine or delete the threat to stop it from running?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Emsisoft performed really well. But I just wonder: when the EIS warning window pops up, is the malware already blocked? Or it is user dependent, so that you have to quarantine or delete the threat to stop it from running?
I think it's user dependent. I didn't see the text "Suspended" next to the malware process when the popup showed up + a few of them caused some damage before I click quarantine
not sure but this is what I observed

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
I think it's user dependent. I didn't see the text "Suspended" next to the malware process when the popup showed up + a few of them caused some damage before I click quarantine
not sure but this is what I observed

Honestly I don't like this. If the user takes a little bit longer to respond to the warning (eg. examining the threat, making a decision or simply distracted), all their files could be lost in the meantime. Personally, I believe an AV solution should always block (auto-decide) by default first. User-dependent choice is for advanced users in certain contexts.

Reactions: nikos200

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
@Evjl's Rain Great test! Thank you..
One question. One of the alerts states that the program is downloading data in an invisible way. Is this the BB too and not the firewall?
that was BB. Firewall was disabled
Probably those malwares using wscript.exe to download or donwloaded silently to a suspicious location
I just guess, I don't really know
Fabian can answer this more clearly

W

Wave

Honestly I don't like this. If the user takes a little bit longer to respond to the warning (eg. examining the threat, making a decision or simply distracted), all their files could be lost in the meantime.
This isn't the case at all! When Emsisoft Anti-Malware displays the alert for the user to respond to, the process being alerted about for the behavior which triggered the alert becomes suspended. This means that all the threads within the target process become suspended, which essentially means they are "frozen"; since all the threads are "suspended", it means they cannot execute any code until they are once again resumed.

A process is pretty much a container, the actual container (the process) doesn't execute the code for the program, but the threads within the process are responsible for executing the program's code... The same way that the heart is responsible for pumping the blood around our body but the body itself is a container for our internal organs, or how our brain allows us to function by sending signals to our muscles but the head is the protector for the brain. ;)

Therefore, when Emsisoft Anti-Malware alert's are triggered, you can take all the time in the world to read the alert properly to understand what's going on and then respond to it. :)

Edit: This should be the case at least, just read what @Evjl's Rain said above... Hmm.... I'll do some testing to double check if they changed anything since I last tested? :(

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.