App Review Emsisoft Internet Security - Behavior Blocker Only - ransomware test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
If an AV's BB can block any ransomware I consider it a success. BBs don't have a lot of time to figure out what that programs up to until it's to late.
I will compare kaspersky and bitdefender's BBs with this result
Sorry I don't really understand what you mean. Do you mean "if a BB can block 1 or some ransomwares" or "if a BB can block most or all ransomwares?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
You could put them on a thumb drive (your samples), drop 2 or 3 on the desktop, and use them,
then drop more as you need them, that way you wont loose all of your samples
if one gets through and encrypts;)
I put the zip file in a read-only drive. I can restore them without problem. I stopped the video because I thought that was enough :p enough to give a conclusion and to shorten the video

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
put Dr.Web in your upcoming tests also :)
in the end you can creat a topic for compare results ;)
I may or may not create a thread to compare because everyday I collect new ransomwares which may cause failure of testing products

hmm, Dr.Web. I have seen it letting ransomwares encrypted in malware hub. According to what I observe, it has a better BB than ESET but not as good as Kaspersky, emsisoft and bitdefender

W

Wave

If an AV's BB can block any ransomware I consider it a success. BBs don't have a lot of time to figure out what that programs up to until it's to late.
Actually, a Behavior Blocker has plenty of time to calculate different scenarios based on the behavior pattern of the sample since they work through interception of API calls (which is then logged) however they can update the score systems and perform comparisons before the function has been redirected to be completed (since the behavior blocker code becomes executed before the function call passes through to kernel-mode by NTAPI wrapper).

If they don't detect it's not because they "don't have a lot of time" (suggesting they would have caught the sample after awhile longer), it's because it won't detect it since it doesn't link the behavior pattern to representing a file with suspicious/malicious integrity, therefore it'd be a clean miss.

Regarding ransomware, not all work the same and new improvements are being added all the time - since some samples use static linking as opposed to dynamic for whatever encryption library is being used, it also makes it much more difficult to monitor. Therefore, most anti-ransomware which are well-developed and truly evolving around dynamic analysis will just monitor file modification (intercept on file write attempts - can be done with a device driver or via hooking of critical NTDLL functions) and then identify when a file is being encrypted (if it can), and the such. However some ransomware is more advanced than others (for example Petya will infect the Master Boot Record) meaning depending on the functionality of the sample and depending on the monitoring capabilities the component has in that particular software will depend on whether the zero-day ransomware will be blocked.

For example, some ransomware may be blocked by Emsisoft but might be missed by Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware, whereas some samples may be detected by Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware and missed by Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware.

Most or all. As Emsisoft did in that video.
That's because they probably use a real dynamic method like the one I suggested above, as relying on only generic signatures for ransomware identification (and some anti-ransomware do just this and nothing else)... And monitoring file modification to identify suspicious modifications from an unknown/untrusted program is very clever and reliable if done correctly.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.