Battle Emsisoft Internet Security or Windows Defender with Hitman Pro Alert

skandaloes

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 15, 2016
What do you prefer emsisoft internetsecurity or windows defender combined with hitman pro alert (premium)?
I looking for an light weight an secure setup for a computer in productive use and a bit of gaming.

Reactions: DardiM and Noxx

hamo

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2014
So, you are looking for a light weight and secure PC.

If you are normal user ( Social media, watching videos, browse will-known URL, and games ) the best is :
Windows 10, Windows Defender + HitmanPro is a good choice (+ SmartScreen).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use WD+Zemana A M , Win10 on my disk top and I am fell so good , on my lap (testing sample) use KIS.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Choice.

Emsisoft offers superb protection, using dual engines, powerful behavioural blocker including exploit blocker, and their own firewall for filtering.
Try a 30-day trial! Emsisoft Internet Security

Windows Defender provides antimalware protection using both signatures and the cloud, it's an additional layer of protection on top of Windows 10's built-in Security, including Windows Firewall, User Access Control, Windows Smartscreen.

Windows Defender also offers PUA/PUP protection, but is not enabled by default and requires experienced users to dig around the Windows Registry. Find out how to Make Windows Defender block Potentially Unwanted Programs

HitmanPro.Alert may be used with either, unless otherwise stated, or known conflicts.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
It depends on your usage.

Windows Defender is sufficient from casual user around, pretty good on accident scenarios. Meanwhile Hitman.Pro Alert needs a little maintenance check because of its component is powerful and improper usage may tend to be problem.

However Emsisoft IS should solve your problem because of the protection guarantees (Web Shield + File Shield + BB + Firewall (created from scratch)), beware on Behavior Blocker being automated since it can block possible legitimate programs.

N

Noxx

If performance is a crucial element of your choice, then Emsisoft Internet Security. Windows Defender is just okay, but it's rather heavy considering it still lacks in the detection department. HMPA is also very solid to add to defender, but I think you're better off with Emsisoft, and on top of that, adding an anti-executable like NVT Exe Radar Pro or APPGUARD. Good luck in any decision you may make! ;)

AlphaBeta

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Oct 24, 2015
I don't think hitman pro or windows defender would prevent online threats. Emsisoft Internet Security would be better in that department.

A

Alkajak

I don't think hitman pro or windows defender would prevent online threats. Emsisoft Internet Security would be better in that department.

Irrelevant. OP is looking for:
  • System Resource Usage
  • Realistic Performance Impact
Windows Defender + HMP.A is a tiny bit lighter than EIS, but not noticeably. Windows Defender + HMP.A may lead you to installing further companion software, which will in turn increase your resource usage with that combo.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
From my experience i have to say that EIS is lighter on my system than WD.
But WD is not that heavy and i think in combination with HMP.A. it will offer good protection.
At this time i have to say that EIS is a better choice considering realistic performance impact.

Reactions: frogboy and XhenEd
L

Lucent Warrior

This is one reason i do not like these threads, as everyone's choices hinge on their experience, and their machines and uses. In no way, shape or form will replies like this help the OP, as all of the variables i already mentioned, like hardware/resources, applications installed, set up of these all combined, uses of the system, and last but not least the knowledge of the OP all factor into this equation.

@skandaloes trust me when i say, try both combinations for yourself, if just for a couple weeks each, and get a feel of which works best for you.

D

Deleted member 178

I chose "Other": EIS + HMP.A.

Umbra say :

Co-co-co-Coooooooooommmmmmbooooo Breaaaaaaaaaaker

GoiKwnQ.gif

EIS has an "anti-exploit" capability.

:D

L

Lucent Warrior

@Lucent Warrior you are right about trying both combinations and he will see what is best for him.
But all members here are trying to help by writing about their experience with these software.
In the end each member will decide on their own
Only problem with that is , most tend to lean towards one product or the other, and the OP sees this, and may end up dropping a dime on software because the masses like it, and it ends up not being suitable for them. It can cause the OP to resent this process because of, when it is just as easy, and more practical to advise them to try both for themselves.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Choosing between Emsisoft and Windows defender + Hitman Pro. I would choose Emsisoft without thinking. But if performance is an issue, you want to enjoy your game and have good protection at the same time, you may try Panda Internet Security which offers excellent protection and detection, added to it with their Data shield to protect against Ransomware and is very light on resources. You may add something such as Malwarebytes Anti-malware or Anti-exploit to it if you want more protection without negative impact on resources.

Reactions: tonibalas

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Really the only way to find out which works best for you is to try both on your system and see which suits you best.
Depending on your system both would be pretty light and on an older system I might venture to say defender,smartscreen,Windows firewall,UAC & HMPA might be a bit lighter.
EIS 11 is much more lighter than it used to be with less frequent updates and does offer excellent protection.
Operator error plays into the security of any software and or combination.Windows 10 built in security with some common sense is not a bad choice at all.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Actually EIS doesn't have "anti-exploit" capability:

Fabian Wosar said at their Forums: "We don't offer exploit protection and never claimed to do so.
I believe they are claiming it now. I think it was Fabian, himself, who said about anti-exploit of Emsisoft. But its functionality is limited to BB. Thus, depending on the actions of the exploit, it may or may not be blocked by the BB.

Edit (to avoid post deletion): I chose EIS. Its performance impact is good, and has a good BB. However, I noticed that boot time increases while it is installed. HMP.A is good, but Windows Defender is not good in terms of performance. PC would become sluggish when you visit a folder full of executables.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.