Emsisoft Internet Security vs Kaspersky Internet Security 2017

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Emsisoft internet Security 2017 (only short test)

Good and simple interface, a little heavy on my PC, at startup you lose 2 -3 seconds at the most , for the rest, the system reports 200/300 MB RAM, the updates are every hour, good scan, which uses 2 engines, good firewall, good static detection and excellent BB.
(I use EAM for a long time.)

Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 (only short test)

I have quickly tested it on a spare computer a short time ago, but lets say: very clean UI, light on the system, it has many functions that may turn up the noses at the less experienced users but really good. After the installation, the next reboot was quite fast, good scan speed and great malware detection.
No idea about BB and firewall, but I'm sure very good as the rest of the software.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Kaspersky is very solid security, I,m an emsisoft user and I can state this for a fact emsisoft is good but not great as people will lead viewers to think example: number 1 Out of all security suites emsisoft phishing protection is very weak and it has been that way for years.
2 Testing or watching test run with emsisoft it leaves the most garbage in memory.
3 It mostly play catch up in detection in malware hub.
4 When something in emsisoft go south (wrong) it really go wrong causing the pc owner technical headaches.
As I said before emsisoft is my product of choice but facts are facts, certain things are swept under the carpet and not brought to light,
for an Av product to champion is cause it has to well rounded.
Kaspersky is a well rounded product for yrs, all product have like and dislike ratios, kaspersky 80% effective to 20% quirks i can take that because all products have draw backs nun perfect but give me kaspersky stats any day.
Also i think this is worth reading Samples that permanently crash real-time protection

giants8058

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2016
Kaspersky is very solid security, I,m an emsisoft user and I can state this for a fact emsisoft is good but not great as people will lead viewers to think example: number 1 Out of all security suites emsisoft phishing protection is very weak and it has been that way for years.
2 Testing or watching test run with emsisoft it leaves the most garbage in memory.
3 It mostly play catch up in detection in malware hub.
4 When something in emsisoft go south (wrong) it really go wrong causing the pc owner technical headaches.
As I said before emsisoft is my product of choice but facts are facts, certain things are swept under the carpet and not brought to light,
for an Av product to champion is cause it has to well rounded.
Kaspersky is a well rounded product for yrs, all product have like and dislike ratios, kaspersky 80% effective to 20% quirks i can take that because all products have draw backs nun perfect but give me kaspersky stats any day.
Also i think this is worth reading Samples that permanently crash real-time protection
I was the one that started that thread and I can assure you that after working with Fabian it has been resolved. The behavior blocker will now pick it up. It was a tricky threat since it incorporated a safe whitelisted program. But it's all good now. Not to mention this particular threat wasn't exclusive to just Emsisoft but it targeted several, and I mean several other AVs as well. My vote would go to EIS. In my opinion EIS BB is just stronger. You need to activate the Trusted Application Mode in Kaspersky. KIS to me is more reactive after the fact where Emsisoft's BB is very quick and decisive for the most part right away. KIS's application control will run threats with varying levels of rights if not initially detected, and then eventually either block or quarantine them or are are just left running. A misconception with Emsisoft's BB and letting things run in memory is because no malicious behavior was exhibited yet. However the BB will monitor these threats and once it does eventually do something shady, it will quarantine it. Helps cut down on FPs. But if we are talking about raw analytical behavioral protection capabilities I think EIS/EAM BB>KIS AC+SW. But either way both are excellent products and would rate them in the top 2.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In my view, Kaspersky has more experienced in terms of protection capabilities which why their current components are strong enough especially the System Watcher and Application Control (configured correctly); the firewall is not only a simple module but comprehensive.

However Emsisoft on the other hand is another worth contender especially in BB where it detects intelligently even without cloud functionality for faster response.

giants8058

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2016
Emsisoft is very good, But I've noticed that the license is disconnected along with the protection in real time.
This happens
at the moment of updating drivers / SATA & LAN.
Also happens for this reason:
when I reboot and the network connection takes time to appear.
Emsisoft deactivates his protection and it requests network connection.
I only close windows user session and wait a while, this fixes it.
Although my experience has been very good, applications that I have created, It blocks them and that's important because it means if it's working.
The only thing that bothers me is that. Ask for the license every time.
Im not try any experience with Karspersky.
You mentioned SATA so I'm not sure if this applies to your situation, but if you are using an external drive via eSATA, that can cause licensing issues since they use SATA drives (main system drive) for calculating unique machine IDs to fingerprint the system for license mapping purposes. To Windows, eSATA/SATA are the same. So if you plug in an external HDD, the license will remap to the new drive causing the issue when the signatures try to update. Whenever I do backups, I make sure to disable updates in Emsisoft while it's plugged in. But if this isn't the case for you, you should start a thread over at their support forum, as they respond pretty quickly and will be able to help you out.

Last edited:

Alysson

Feb 24, 2016
Eu costumo testar muito o Emsisoft com amostras novas e faço o mesmo com o Kaspersky.

Eu particularmente acho o Emsisoft mais capaz que o Kaspersky, a função anti phishing kaspersky é realmente melhor mas isso por que o kaspersky possui uma heurística para detectar phishing, o Emsisoft não tem.

O Emsisoft possui um behavior blocker nitidamente superior ao do Kaspersky, é mais eficaz contra zeroday.

Ele normalmente é melhor em detecção pois tem dois motores no caso o motor Emsisoft + motor Bitdefender.

O motor Emsisoft é muito eficaz ao detectar chaves maliciosas e PUP, costuma detecta algumas variáveis ransomware também.

O Behavior blocker do Emsisoft assim como o Anti PUP vem de regra com uso dependente, ou seja, o usuário precisa escolher se irá bloquear ou não.

Felizmente o Emsisoft da ao usuário a possibilidade de automatizar o software de forma que ele faça tudo automaticamente, é muito simples.

Caso o usuário queira ele todo automático basta configurar.

A maioria das pessoas baseiam a qualidade de um software apenas nos resultados independentes, tenham cuidado !

O Panda esta com nota máxima na av comparatives mas no mundo é real é horrível contra ransomware zeroday, esses resultados são contraditórios não se iludam com um software só por que esta com nota máxima ou por que a empresa o indica como o melhor.

O Kaspersky é um produto realmente sólido mas o Emsisoft é do mesmo nível, eu acho o Emsisoft melhor visando os testes que faço e minha experiência.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I was the one that started that thread and I can assure you that after working with Fabian it has been resolved. The behavior blocker will now pick it up. It was a tricky threat since it incorporated a safe whitelisted program. But it's all good now. Not to mention this particular threat wasn't exclusive to just Emsisoft but it targeted several, and I mean several other AVs as well. My vote would go to EIS. In my opinion EIS BB is just stronger. You need to activate the Trusted Application Mode in Kaspersky. KIS to me is more reactive after the fact where Emsisoft's BB is very quick and decisive for the most part right away. KIS's application control will run threats with varying levels of rights if not initially detected, and then eventually either block or quarantine them or are are just left running. A misconception with Emsisoft's BB and letting things run in memory is because no malicious behavior was exhibited yet. However the BB will monitor these threats and once it does eventually do something shady, it will quarantine it. Helps cut down on FPs. But if we are talking about raw analytical behavioral protection capabilities I think EIS/EAM BB>KIS AC+SW. But either way both are excellent products and would rate them in the top 2.
So are you saying Kaspersky's TAM is a reactive feature and Emsisoft's BB is a proactive feature?

Thanks

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.