Emsisoft is 32-bit/ Security under 64-bit-OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geri

Level 1
Verified
May 26, 2014
Hello!

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is fully protect x64 OS, as it's stated on their website under FAQ: Emsisoft Anti-Malware for best protection - Free removal of Viruses, Bots, Spyware, Keyloggers, Trojans and Rootkits

I did a quick research why is Emsisoft marked as 32-bit on my 64-bit system, I found this:

"...This is technically not true. The 64-bit binaries are bundled in the same installer as the 32-bit binaries, so while we do not have a separate 64-bit download, our product has 64-bit binaries and drivers that will be installed on a 64-bit edition of Windows.

It is true the user interface components are 32-bit even on 64-bit systems. These do not actually need to be 64-bit applications, as all of the actual work is done by the service which is a native 64-bit application when installed on 64-bit editions of Windows."

source: 64 Bit - Emsisoft Anti-Malware

Since I switched to windows 10 (64-bit), EAM works like a charm, all features are working, no problems or bugs for me so far. I don't think that Emsisoft is more vulnerable than ESET.

Werderforever

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 8, 2015
Hello Geri,

many thanks for your answer.

I know this Post, but the last sentence, written by an Emsisoft Employee, is not right. The service is 32-bit, and so I´m not sure, whether I´m fully protected.

I like Emsisoft and I hope I´m fully protected, but hearing about the problems between Kaspersky and 64-bit.OS, I´m worried.

H

hjlbx

Hello Geri,

many thanks for your answer.

I know this Post, but the last sentence, written by an Emsisoft Employee, is not right. The service is 32-bit, and so I´m not sure, whether I´m fully protected.

I like Emsisoft and I hope I´m fully protected, but hearing about the problems between Kaspersky and 64-bit.OS, I´m worried.

That last sentence is absolutely correct.

Emsisoft does not have the same limitations of HIPS on 64-bit Windows as some other security softs - most notably Kaspersky; the service is 64 bit and monitors both 32 and 64 bit processes. I say HIPS because the Emsi Behavior Blocker is a "tuned" HIPS with detection and alert routines for very specific behavior types.

Reactions: XhenEd

Werderforever

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 8, 2015
Many thanks, hjlbx,

but in TaskManager I have noticed behind the Emsisoft Protection Service the addition "(32bit)". This means in my opinion, that the service is 32-bit.
And the Emsisoft Real-Time Protection has also the addition "(32bit)".

What do you think about that?

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Emsisoft's website says this:
All features are fully functional on x64 systems too.

That is under Will it run on my PC?

Werderforever

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 8, 2015
Emsisoft's website says this:

That is under Will it run on my PC?

Yes, but I don´t believe all what I read. Sometimes it´s only promotion what I can read.
Kaspersky stated on his website also, that it is compatibel with x64, but in the manual they described that there are restrictions.

I like Emsisoft very much, but before I buy it, I must be sure, that x64 is fully supported.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Yes, but I don´t believe all what I read. Sometimes it´s only promotion what I can read.
Kaspersky stated on his website also, that it is compatibel with x64, but in the manual they described that there are restrictions.

I like Emsisoft very much, but before I buy it, I must be sure, that x64 is fully supported.
No, Kaspersky says in their website that their products will run on 64-bit OS but some components will only be applicable to 32-bit OS.
Anyway, I also like Emsisoft. In fact, I think I'm gonna use my giveaway license within this week.

Reactions: Enju and frogboy

Werderforever

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 8, 2015
No, Kaspersky says in their website that their products will run on 64-bit OS but some components will only be applicable to 32-bit OS.
Anyway, I also like Emsisoft. In fact, I think I'm gonna use my giveaway license within this week.

Yes, now I have found that.Thank you!:)

H

hjlbx

Many thanks, hjlbx,

but in TaskManager I have noticed behind the Emsisoft Protection Service the addition "(32bit)". This means in my opinion, that the service is 32-bit.
And the Emsisoft Real-Time Protection has also the addition "(32bit)".

What do you think about that?

I understand what you mean. Vendors state they protect 64 bit systems but how can they prove it ?

If Emsi could not hook 64-bit processes on Win 64 systems, then the BB would not alert to those processes.

Remember, most malware is still 32-bit. Ask around for 64 bit malware samples and you will find Emsi BB generates the same alerts as for 32 bit.

That's the only way you will be convinced...

H

hjlbx

I understand what you mean. Vendors state they protect 64 bit systems but how can they prove it ?

If Emsi could not hook 64-bit processes on Win 64 systems, then the BB would not alert to those processes.

Remember, most malware is still 32-bit. Ask around for 64 bit malware samples and you will find Emsi BB generates the same alerts as for 32 bit.

That's the only way you will be convinced...

Maybe you discover it works as stated.

Maybe you discover there is bad bug and Emsi award you with Lifetime license with Unlimited installs (I wouldn't count on the second part)... :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Werderforever

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 8, 2015
Maybe you discover it works as stated.

Maybe you discover there is bad bug and Emsi award you with Lifetime license with Unlimited installs (I wouldn't count on the second part)... :p

Hi hjlbx,

many thanks for your answers and your advices.:)

I will try that and hope that afterwards I can decide to buy Emsisoft or not.

Werderforever

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Aug 8, 2015
Yes, that would be the best to decide what is better for me. Difficult decision, perhaps I use Emsisoft on my Desktop-PC and ESET on my Notebook...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.