Battle Emsisoft, Kaspersky, Bitdefender, ESET or Malwarebytes 3 and why?

dannylif

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 30, 2015
In 2017 there are lots of revolutionary anti-malware products to compare.
In terms of protection I am not sure what to pick for.
With my lifetime license of Malwarebytes, I would like to see how many times it will get picked. As the company presents it as it is 'the future.'

Please pick a product and comment why and your experience with the products.

- Danny

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
ESET
why? because
- very light on the system
- very light on my wallet ;p
- useful tools (I keep an eye on Running processes and Network Connections)
- less bug
- good protection, excellent signatures
- no need 2nd opinion or complimentary security software (I have tried complimentary security, but never found any threats so ESET is enough)

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Emsisoft Internet Security( a little buggy,so its small company)
Kaspersky Internet Security(My voted,great in all situation)
Bitdefender Internet Security(King Of Bug)
ESET Internet Security(a little weak in BB I am tester of Eset on MH)
Malwarebytes 3.0( cheese :D )
so so Kaspersky is N*1 and Eset and Emsisoft N*2

D

Deleted member 2913

I'm afraid VoodooShield isn't on the list. Also why does everyone vote Kaspersky best? I know that not everyone believes tests but Emsisoft always outperforms Kaspersky - especially in Ransomware & PUPs/Adware detection.
Coz Kaspersky by default provides good protection with no popups
And Emsisoft by default provides good protection with popups that are not easy to take action for average users. I have noticed most popups mention like direct disk access, accessing other processes, etc & these are not easy to take action by average users.

In real world scenario Kaspersky is easy to use with good protection for everyone. Its system watcher, application control provides good proactive protection without any confusion/popups for average users.
In real world scenario Emsisoft provides good protection But those popups are not easy to understand or take action by average users & leads to mistakes by average users for both malware & safe programs.

Tests are good to know how a product react/protect against malware. But it all depends on modules, settings, options, etc that directly affects usability, protection, etc.
Protection + Usability, I always looks for And Kaspersky & Emsisoft, both have that But Kaspersky is better/easy compared to Emsisoft.

In threads like this, I vote keeping in mind average users & protection + usability, default settings, etc.

My vote Kaspersky 2017, light, good signs, effective proactive protection, good automatic protection in default settings, etc...

1. Kaspersky (reasons mentioned above & deserve the spot for protection)
2. Emsisoft (I personally would use it as I can handle popups plus good protection, one of the best behavior blocker, kinda effective lite HIPS, clean GUI, no bloats, good privacy policy, good stand against PUP provides good PUP protection, have heard/read support is good, etc...)
3. Bitdefender - If works good on your system, protection & proactive is good, etc.
4. Eset - Good product, good protection but above mentioned 3 are better compared to it especially proactive protection & protection in default settings.
5. Malwarebytes - Its still not a standalone protection for me And is out of the place in the list with the likes of the above mentioned products.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
for unknown reasons, EIS trial version destroyed my google chrome and it could not be used anymore (appcontainer enabled)
reinstalled chrome -> still could not be used

uninstalled EIS -> chrome was working perfectly like nothing happened

edit: EIS may conflict with google chrome's appcontainer in about:flags

Last edited:

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
i prefer MalwareBytes for first ( but i cant use it because looks like it block Iranian IPs i don't know why! )
after that i'm using Emsisoft Emergancy Kit ( Bitdefender+its own engine which is really god for PUAs )
also have herdprotect ( 68 engine cloud scanner ) :)

Reactions: JB007 and DardiM

dannylif

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 30, 2015
Emsisoft will be the winner - no doubt about it. In every single test I've done between Emsisoft & Kaspersky (I'm doing a video on this soon) Emsisoft always wins. Emsisoft is by far the best out of the list for the following reasons:

- It's light
- It's GUI is the best
- It has a decent selection of settings (not as many as Kaspersky but oh well)
- It has the best behaviour blocker
- It has the best signatures pretty much
- It has great URL protection too
- It has the fastest scan speeds

Kaspersky would be in 3rd for me & Bitdefender in 2nd. Kaspersky is too heavy, has too many extra features that won't be used, it doesn't detect malware as quick as Emsisoft from what I've seen & can cause errors whilst gaming - eg. Kaspersky stops Uplay games from updating, prevent Overwatch from connecting, etc. Kaspersky also isn't compatible with Sandboxie.

Could you maybe do a Emsisoft vs Kaspersky video with the same samples and urls?

Durden

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
I chose Emsisoft IS 12 , and I'm currently using it and I'm very happy.
people pretty much gave you an idea about the great features of Emsisoft . plus at emsisoft they respect your privacy more than any other but that's a different issue.
now I'm gonna say something that is my opinion that's based on my experience on differnet machines (high end and low end) and my advice to you .. first of all MalwareBytes , at the time being keep it as a complementary option . and now , IMO , if you are a regular home user , I suggest removing Kaspersky from the list above , and maybe adding Norton Security to the poll instead.
kaspersky is a great product , but I think it's strongest feature is it's greatest weakness , especially for the average home user , kaspersky is too much , it's too blown out , and I always found it buggy/heavy(no matter what they say)/too complicated . I don't want to tweak down my security solution so I could use my pc with ease, I don't want to install a product that doesn't work great out of the box . with Emsisoft for example you almost don't feel it . with norton you forget it's there . and the best thing about those two is that you get magnificent level of protection .

dannylif

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 30, 2015
I chose Emsisoft IS 12 , and I'm currently using it and I'm very happy.
people pretty much gave you an idea about the great features of Emsisoft . plus at emsisoft they respect your privacy more than any other but that's a different issue.
now I'm gonna say something that is my opinion that's based on my experience on differnet machines (high end and low end) and my advice to you .. first of all Malwarebytes , at the time being keep it as a complementary option . and now , IMO , if you are a regular home user , I suggest removing Kaspersky from the list above , and maybe adding Norton Security to the poll instead.
kaspersky is a great product , but I think it's strongest feature is it's greatest weakness , especially for the average home user , kaspersky is too much , it's too blown out , and I always found it buggy/heavy(no matter what they say)/too complicated . I don't want to tweak down my security solution so I could use my pc with ease, I don't want to install a product that doesn't work great out of the box . with Emsisoft for example you almost don't feel it . with norton you forget it's there . and the best thing about those two is that you get magnificent level of protection .
"In terms of protection"

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.