Emsisoft Renewal

Status
Not open for further replies.

R083R7

Thread author
Jun 5, 2015
My Emsisoft Anti-Malware license is coming up for renewal in two weeks, and I do plan to renew it for another year but I'm not sure if I should upgrade to Emsisoft Internet Security. I've done a trial of EIS and like it a lot more, but since I'm not the most knowledgeable person about certain alerts, it concerns me. If I get a firewall alert, about said process wants to receive incoming information from a port, I don't know whether to allow or deny it. In addition to that, it not displaying whether the file is verified even if it is a valid Windows process doesn't help much either. I've also heard of continuous problems with EIS over on their support forums. I need some insight on how I can make a better decision, whether I should just stick with EAM over EIS, but I would feel safer with EIS's firewall instead of Windows Firewall.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
My Emsisoft Anti-Malware license is coming up for renewal in two weeks, and I do plan to renew it for another year but I'm not sure if I should upgrade to Emsisoft Internet Security. I've done a trial of EIS and like it a lot more, but since I'm not the most knowledgeable person about certain alerts, it concerns me. If I get a firewall alert, about said process wants to receive incoming information from a port, I don't know whether to allow or deny it. In addition to that, it not displaying whether the file is verified even if it is a valid Windows process doesn't help much either. I've also heard of continuous problems with EIS over on their support forums. I need some insight on how I can make a better decision, whether I should just stick with EAM over EIS, but I would feel safer with EIS's firewall instead of Windows Firewall.
The firewall is pretty much automated!
Default should be fine:
http://support.emsisoft.com/topic/17494-what-are-the-best-firewall-settings/

Or just stick with win firewall!!:)

D

Deleted member 178

EIS firewall is quite good believe me i beta-tested it. You can go for it. after you will learn how to use it.

Reactions: Venustus

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Their firewall is an overall revamped which far compare on the former Online Armor Firewall ( Tallemu ), just a little tweak from its configuration and good to go; also like from Behavior Blocker which even though as cloud reference still a user based inputs to provide decision for approval.

H

hjlbx

If you like EIS after using the trial, then by all means switch over to it. It works for you - which means you're very likely to keep it installed on your system and thereby keep it protected with very good baseline security.

EIS is very easy to learn. I've used both EAM and EIS, but I much prefer EIS.

If you start out with a clean system - and you have some system awareness about the different files installed on your system - then, when you first install EIS - you might have to create some firewall rules - which should be safe.

However, for the most part, EIS will query the Emsisoft Anti-Malware network during install - and create BB and FW "Allow" rules automatically.

According to some AV test lab results from 2012 (really old by IT standards), Emsisoft's firewall can only be bested by Comodo. If anything, the EIS firewall user-interface is the best out of all the security softs that I have used. Just some food for thought...

Emsisoft's products are very good for the typical user that exercises good computing habits.

Best Regards,

HJLBX

R083R7

Thread author
Jun 5, 2015
What if I come across a situation where I don't know whether to block or allow something? I'm fairly new to the Windows 8.1 system, since I've mainly worked with Windows 7.

H

hjlbx

What if I come across a situation where I don't know whether to block or allow something? I'm fairly new to the Windows 8.1 system, since I've mainly worked with Windows 7.

With Emsi it is easy to reverse what you have to done (e.g. blocked something) and it breaks an app.

You just delete entire rule set for app. That will suffice for novice until you learn more...

D

Deleted member 2913

Only you can decide if it suits you or not. Recommendation are helpful but using a product totally depends on the user & if he find it easy to use.
Like users here mention Emsi is easy for novices too. And going through users experience here & Emsi forum I can say that Emsi is easy to use for me. But not easy enough for the average users at my home.
Some users are like...they get a popup with 2 options & choose anyone without reading the details on the popup. Some are like...just choose randomly allow or block.
Like I have AdblockPlus on Internet Explorer. Now many a times I check the system & find ABP disabled, why? Coz I know they must have browsed a site that mentioned to view the stuff ABP needs to allow & they disabled ABP & then they forget to enable it again. Such are average users. Heck, many dont even know the term "malware" or other, they just know 1 term "virus".
Any product with user interaction I find the users at my home allowing/blocking randomly & trying to run something again & again not knowing that they just blocked it.
So I keep security simple for them with automated decent solution like Win FW + Avast Free/Bd Free, etc.. And their data backed up to an external HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.