Advice Request Emsisoft use a lot of memory?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
When the operating system loads the Emsisoft icon is red. I have to wait a long time before it turns green.

Have you tried to enable "Memory usage optimization" in Advanced settings?

• Memory usage optimization – When enabled, this option reduces the amount of RAM being used by swapping out non-active data (such as signatures) to the pagefile. On older computers this may result in system slowdowns. If you have sufficient RAM, you may wish to disable this feature to ensure maximum speed.

32.jpg

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019

• Memory usage optimization – When enabled, this option reduces the amount of RAM being used by swapping out non-active data (such as signatures) to the pagefile. On older computers this may result in system slowdowns. If you have sufficient RAM, you may wish to disable this feature to ensure maximum speed.

View attachment 272000
But does this cause extra writes to the SSD?

I3rYcE

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 4, 2011

View attachment 272000
Yes.

chetuyet.hp

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 11, 2022
Eset really did a great.
If your ram memory is big enough. This does not affect the performance of the device.
But this only helps Emsisoft access data faster.

G

Guilhermesene

This is the case for Bitdefender and the products that use its engine. While some might say this js normal, it is very annoying tbh.
I'm sorry, but that's not true. How long have you used Bitdefender? You're probably like most people, you install it and spend a few days with the AV and come out drawing conclusions.

It is necessary to understand that each AV works differently and uses different mechanisms. I use Bitdefender and loading here on my machine is extremely fast, especially after it has been adapted to the system.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I'm sorry, but that's not true. How long have you used Bitdefender? You're probably like most people, you install it and spend a few days with the AV and come out drawing conclusions.

It is necessary to understand that each AV works differently and uses different mechanisms. I use Bitdefender and loading here on my machine is extremely fast, especially after it has been adapted to the system.
I have never said anything that I have not experienced. I did NOT say Bd was not fast. I have used it for years and recently I have been using the Antivirus Plus version. Everyone who has ever used BD will confirm the high ram usage. That caused issues in the past, but now BD runs nicely. It sure does adapt to your system, but the high ram (or relatively high ram) usage is still there (in comparison to other products).

Please feel free to post a screenshot of the actual ram usage of BD running on your system.

G

Guilhermesene

I have never said anything that I have not experienced. I did NOT say Bd was not fast. I have used it for years and recently I have been using the Antivirus Plus version. Everyone who has ever used BD will confirm the high ram usage. That caused issues in the past, but now BD runs nicely. It sure does adapt to your system, but the high ram (or relatively high ram) usage is still there (in comparison to other products).

Please feel free to post a screenshot of the actual ram usage of BD running on your system.
First I didn't mention about the high RAM usage.. as far as I know the RAM is there to be used.

From my experience with BD, high RAM usage is something adaptable according to how much RAM you have on your device. Devices that have more RAM use around 300~500MB and devices with less available resources use a little less, that is, the use is adaptable to what you have on your device.

When I mentioned that this was not true, it was in relation to the FAST INITIALIZATION of the system and the appearance of the BD icon on the lower right side of the operating system and I say this from my own experience, after the BD is adapted to the system it loads very quickly.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
First I didn't mention about the high RAM usage.. as far as I know the RAM is there to be used.

From my experience with BD, high RAM usage is something adaptable according to how much RAM you have on your device. Devices that have more RAM use around 300~500MB and devices with less available resources use a little less, that is, the use is adaptable to what you have on your device.

When I mentioned that this was not true, it was in relation to the FAST INITIALIZATION of the system and the appearance of the BD icon on the lower right side of the operating system and I say this from my own experience, after the BD is adapted to the system it loads very quickly.

The post topic is about high memory usage and I said that all products that use Bd engine has the same issue, G Data being the worst.

I am well-aware of the link you posted. Some argue that this is actually a good thing, but lets face it. Eset’s signature are as good, if not better, as Bitdefender’s it does not consume half of ram that Bd does.

Sorry I did not see that you talked about initialisation. After 22H2 update, almost all product initialise fast except for Trend Micro. Though you can see trend micro icon in the task bar, when you hover your mouse over the icon it tells you starting protection which takes mins.

Reactions: Guilhermesene
G

Guilhermesene

The post topic is about high memory usage and I said that all products that use Bd engine has the same issue, G Data being the worst.

I am well-aware of the link you posted. Some argue that this is actually a good thing, but lets face it. Eset’s signature are as good, if not better, as Bitdefender’s it does not consume half of ram that Bd does.

Sorry I did not see that you talked about initialisation. After 22H2 update, almost all product initialise fast except for Trend Micro. Though you can see trend micro icon in the task bar, when you hover your mouse over the icon it tells you starting protection which takes mins.
Yes, I'm aware. It's just that by the unfolding of the posts I understood that they were also talking about the initialization of the products. Anyway, I apologize for my misunderstanding.

I agree with you on the other points too, mainly about ESET which by the way is my favorite AV and which I'm using at the moment.

Even though I like the BD, I always end up going back to ESET for several reasons, lightness, free of bloatware among other factors. I've been an ESET user for over 4 years and I've never been infected (even using the default settings - I just learned how to configure it for stronger protection)

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Yes, I'm aware. It's just that by the unfolding of the posts I understood that they were also talking about the initialization of the products. Anyway, I apologize for my misunderstanding.

I agree with you on the other points too, mainly about ESET which by the way is my favorite AV and which I'm using at the moment.

Even though I like the BD, I always end up going back to ESET for several reasons, lightness, free of bloatware among other factors. I've been an ESET user for over 4 years and I've never been infected (even using the default settings - I just learned how to configure it for stronger protection)
No worries my friend. I, too, misunderstood you.

BD, unfortunately, is bloated and I hate its GUI. I adore Eset, but it is very expensive for me.

Emsisoft is the least bloated product that uses the Bd engine and their support is excellent.

Btw I enjoyed the little discussion we had.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
How is Emsisoft in the malware samples section? I only see one test done.
You can take a look to the last time Emsisoft been tested in the Malware Hub:

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.