Advice Request Enable Compact View in Windows 11's File Explorer for improved usability. Do you agree or not? Why?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Windows 11 File Explorer: Which 'View' improves usability?

• Default view

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Compact view

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Other opinion

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I personally most of the time, like the old compact way. But I often try to switch between them.
Enable Compact View in Windows 11's File Explorer for improved usability - gHacks Tech News

I also totally agree with @jensenharris at Twitter:
"By the way, before you ask—I think moving the Start button to the middle of the taskbar wasn't a good move.
Corner location not only had decades of muscle memory but also took perfect advantage of Fitts' Law to make it ideally easy to target.
Worse for mouse, worse for touch.
4:17 AM · Aug 30, 2022"

Any idea? Thanks.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Added a Poll to your Thread.

The default view better accommodates for modern touch devices and higher resolution panels, whereas the compact view may be better for mouse users and/or lower resolution panels. Neither are the wrong option.

The fact that Compact view is available in Modern Windows, means that Microsoft understands it's user base.

Last edited:

Oldie1950

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2022
I can't vote. I use the SpeedCommander as File Explorer. I don't like Windows File Explorer.

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
It looks the same to me, so that means default.

Attachments

• capture_04052023_213532.jpg
    capture_04052023_213532.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 79
  • capture_04052023_213548.jpg
    capture_04052023_213548.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 88

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Added a Poll to your Thread.

The default view better accommodates for modern touch devices and higher resolution panels, whereas the compact view may be better for mouse users and/or lower resolution panels. Neither are the wrong option.

The fact that Compact view is available in Modern Windows, means that Microsoft understands it's user base.
I cannot agree with you more. Thank you.
Do you also agree with Taskbar to be in the left by default or in the center?

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
New video made by BrenTech, Mar 28, 2023:
hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3so3X3jUa88

@Ink "... whereas the compact view may be better for mouse users and/or lower resolution panels. Neither are the wrong option.
The fact that Compact view is available in Modern Windows, means that Microsoft understands it's user base."

Question please: I have a PC without any touch interface/system. I have basic monitor:

So, what is your best recommendation for me, please, in terms of boosting productivity? Thank you.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I also deeply hope that there will be option to enable this later back in Windows 11 or Windows 12:
Restore old Right-click Context menu in Windows 11 - Microsoft Community
Redirecting

Reactions: Jan Willy

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
So, what is your best recommendation for me, please, in terms of boosting productivity? Thank you.
Changing OS settings won't boost productivity, again, these are entirely user preferences.

Try using Focus mode: How to use focus in Windows 11 - Microsoft Support
Focus is a new feature in Windows 11 that helps you minimize distractions. To help you stay on track, it integrates with the Clock app with features like a focus timer and music integration.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Also dear @Ink do you agree with Ask Leo's video:
hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQX5yg_EK2U
✏️ There are several ways to make the size of text and items on your screen larger.

✏️ Increasing text size
Windows 10 & 11 allows you to change the scaling of everything displayed on screen.
CTRL+ and CTRL- work in many apps, like email and web browsers, to make text larger and smaller.
Changing screen resolution is not a useful way to make text bigger.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Changing screen resolution, text size etc would be more for accessibility than improving productivity. Again, it's all to user preferences. Play around with the settings and make changes as you see fit.

Reactions: amirr

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Changing screen resolution, text size etc would be more for accessibility than improving productivity. Again, it's all to user preferences. Play around with the settings and make changes as you see fit.
I cannot agree with you more. Sometimes, when we get bored, we think with testing different things, we can solve the boredom. Its not always true. I agree with you.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Dear @Ink this is very interesting talk, I agree with Llewellyn Pritchard:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.