Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello,
As you may have noticed we've added new features to our community, I'll post all the new features in a different thread however I wanted to let you know about the Push Notification service.

When you're logged in, you will see at the bottom of the screen a banner which will ask you to enable Push Notifications.

You can also enable push notifications from your account control panel under "Preferences", and there you can also select for which events you get a notification (Push category).

After you've click Enable Notification your browser will show a pop-up that says "malwaretips.com wants to show notifications" and you will need to click Allow. That's it.

You can change for what events you get a notification in your account Preferences settings. As an example I've disabled the Push Notifications when someone reacts to my posts however every member can configure this feature as they like.

Here is how the notifications look:

On Android devices:

For Windows devices:

Unfortunately for reasons beyond our control (read: it's Apple's fault) the list of supported devices/browsers notably exclude Safari on macOS and any iOS-based browser.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Personaly i have alerts disabled from chrome settings, hate reddit always asking that:unsure: But i have tried these alerts on MT, i tend to have MT always open on tab so i dont benefit from these updates that much...I like the new ui chances that have made though

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Personaly i have alerts disabled from chrome settings, hate reddit always asking that:unsure: But i have tried these alerts on MT, i tend to have MT always open on tab so i dont benefit from these updates that much...I like the new ui chances that have made though
You could enable the notifications and change for which events you get a notifications, maybe when someone replies to a thread you've started.

Last edited:

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
@Jack - I've enabled the push notifications to my liking in my account details, and yet I keep getting the permission request pop-up as I browse the forum. This is becoming very annoying. Please advise. :)
Hey @oldschool
You should not get any pop-ups after you enabled the Push Notifications, can you post a screenshot so that I understand what's happening...

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I have, a number of times. Now I've stopped because it is futile.
Just to make it clear, those Push boxes don't do anything unless you actually enable the notifications -- in the Push Notifications field it should say "Disable push notifications" - only then it's actually enabled. If you just uncheck the boxes without actually enabling the Push Notifications, nothing will happen.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Only a "like" thumbs-up adds to your Reaction Score? The others like Haha don't? Also, I must support oldschool's observation that the "push notifications" message always returns as soon as you sign in, despite your having ticked "never ask me again." Also, the message to enable push notifications returns if I click to go from one page to another at times.

That said, it's wonderful that MalwareTips' administrators and staff regard us members so favorably and with such respect to implement all these great changes. (y)

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
@Jack I can't seem to get push notifications to work. Same as @ticklemefeet, I get the push notification pop-up every time I visit the site.
When I click "Enable Push Notifications" on the pop-up it goes away but reappears whenever I visit another page on the site.
When I look in preferences push notifications aren't enabled even if I clicked enable on the pop-up, and when I attempt to enable them in preferences nothing happens; the button flashes but doesn't change.
Cookies are set to be cleared when my browser's closed but I allow MT cookies to persist between browsing sessions so that shouldn't be an issue. Notifications for MT are also allowed to be sent. I've also tried disabling all flags, extensions and Brave's shields, none of which fixed it.

If it's working for everyone else then the fault's obviously on my end. My first thought goes to Brave being the problem so I'll try to confirm or deny that later.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
If it's working for everyone else then the fault's obviously on my end. My first thought goes to Brave being the problem so I'll try to confirm or deny that later.
If you try on a Chrome or Firefox browser does it work? Make sure an extension or setting doesn't block this process. Did you get this pop-up?

I would recommend that you clear you cookie and site data. If you click on the lock icon in the address bar what permissions do you see for this site?

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
If you try on a Chrome or Firefox browser does it work? Make sure an extension or setting doesn't block this process. Did you get this pop-up?
I did get that pop-up and allowed notifications:

I would recommend that you clear you cookie and site data. If you click on the lock icon in the address bar what permissions do you see for this site?
Cleared cookies and site data. Notification permission is allowed on MT:

Still get the pop-up on every page and enabling via preferences still doesn't work.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Push notifications enabled without issue on a portable Chromium build, so I guess it's a problem with Brave. I'll reset the browser and see if I can get them enabled in Brave.
@Arequire I've installed the Brave Browser and I have the same issue, it's something related to the browser. This is strange because this is a Chromium based browser so it should not have issues... I'll see if I can find the cause.
You will just need to dismiss the Push Notification banner (click on the X in the right corner, then Never ask again) until this gets fixed, it's not our fault, it is related to something that the browser does differently than the other Chromium builds.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.