Encrypted Malware inside JPEG Image file - New method by malware writers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

illumination

Thread author
Dmitry Bestuzhev @KasperskyLab discovered a new type of malware infection method. He found the Encrypted malware is hidden inside the JPEG image file(it hash BMP file structure)...
Read More

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Firstly, it may cause automatic malware analysis systems to function incorrectly: the file would be downloaded and analyzed by the antivirus program, and given the all-clear; with time the link will be exempted from checks altogether.

then you will say thanks for your HIPS which before annoyed you so much for every actions happening in your system.

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
is it necessary? scans each. jpeg files before opened? :)

yes, moments like these HIPS is needed. :p

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Hiding malware in an image isn't new...

It's a little unclear from the article whether they are considering the method new, (hiding malware in an image) or the technique new. (new infection vector)

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
HeffeD, I've never seen malware packaged into an image. Exploits, yes (you can perform BO with an image but it's not common) but I haven't ever seen an image with malware except, of course, for fake extensions.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
The part that is unclear to me: the article states that KasperskyLab "discovered a new type of malware infection method". If they are referring to the fact that an executable is hidden inside an image... this is not something new, it's called steganography. As far as I can tell this enables malware authors to transmit and spread files without triggering a detection, however to execute the malicious executable inside the image, another executable is needed to decrypt it. So on its own, the image file does nothing.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Wow, people that make viruses are getting better at making and hiding them.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
bogdan said:
The part that is unclear to me: the article states that KasperskyLab "discovered a new type of malware infection method". If they are referring to the fact that an executable is hidden inside an image... this is not something new, it's called steganography. As far as I can tell this enables malware authors to transmit and spread files without triggering a detection, however to execute the malicious executable inside the image, another executable is needed to decrypt it. So on its own, the image file does nothing.

Yes, this is what I was getting at. A bit unclear as to what they actually mean.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Well, they can probably store those images on multiple web-sites without raising many suspicions...

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
McLovin said:
Wow, people that make viruses are getting better at making and hiding them.

yes, that's why some time ago I said more and more nasty virus. although the OS more and more features to prevent it. sure a hacker or anything like that will look for weaknesses.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
This wont be a problem if JPEGs are open using a sandboxed explorer or by right clicking on the JPEG image and choosing run sandboxed. Sandboxie will also prevent getting infected when clicking on fake JPEGs.:cool:

Bo

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
Yes. but what we "should" do it?

I think, may use the HIPS on the machine would be better?
as said by Umbra above.
or, scan it with AV or, another scanner tool?
:)

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
win7holic said:
Yes. but what we "should" do it?

I think, may use the HIPS on the machine would be better?
as said by Umbra above.
or, scan it with AV or, another scanner tool?
:)
HIPS is chatty, Sandboxie speaks softly and carries a big stick. I prefer the quietness and effectiveness of Sandboxie. Depending on HIPS, errors can happen. Errors don't happen if you run the file sandboxed.

Bo

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
but, not everyone can use Sandboxie or even HIPS as well.
I think common people will use AV to scan them. :)

PenTester

Jul 30, 2011
It was discovered by some researcher (i didn't remember his name) in 2010 itself. But he is doesn't find the coding. Kaspersky researcher did. That JPEG malware won't work without starter, this is what the kaspersky researcher said.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well all I know before was a double extension method in order to execute it, like example picture.jpeg.exe so trying to convince its like an picture but it isn't.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
bogdan said:

yes right, i think the new thing is the "Block Cypher" encryption method, it seems to act like steganography but without the need of any apps to open it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.